Keto?

Options
2»

Replies

• triskier
    triskier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My doctor has asked me to get myself into a state of ketosis. It is for significant health issues. Is there a way to change my carbohydrate/fat/protein requirements? I don't want it telling me that I'm low in carbohydrates, etc.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    triskier wrote: »
    My doctor has asked me to get myself into a state of ketosis. It is for significant health issues. Is there a way to change my carbohydrate/fat/protein requirements? I don't want it telling me that I'm low in carbohydrates, etc.

you can automatically adjust your percentages. as for telling you that you are low in carbs I dont think it will tell you that.and what issues do you have that you need to be in ketosis?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Genuinely sharing that yesterday I ate 2,000 calories, ~500 above my TDEE, and lost half a pound. More importantly, humans DID used to eat more like this, and pretty much all babies are in ketosis at some point. There's actually plenty of reputable published research on the topic that in my personal experience (though I study astrophysics, not nutrition) has turned out to be true. As for mental clarity, that came most from fasting to me-- but generally I would say it's noticeable and something I experienced while fasting before knowing I was "supposed" to feel that way
    The people who DO actually study nutrition have shown through peer-reviewed research that there is no "metabolic advantage" to a ketogenic diet.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/ketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-have-no-metabolic-advantage-over-nonketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-research-review.html/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16685046/

https://shreddedbyscience.com/ketogenic-diets-actually-work-study-review/

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/low-carb-diet/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Genuinely sharing that yesterday I ate 2,000 calories, ~500 above my TDEE, and lost half a pound. More importantly, humans DID used to eat more like this, and pretty much all babies are in ketosis at some point. There's actually plenty of reputable published research on the topic that in my personal experience (though I study astrophysics, not nutrition) has turned out to be true. As for mental clarity, that came most from fasting to me-- but generally I would say it's noticeable and something I experienced while fasting before knowing I was "supposed" to feel that way

A lot of the research has been flawed... When you control.for calories and protein, there is no difference. Often in studies, they only control for calories. And when the adjust for low carb, they often increase protein by as much as 50%. Protein is the thermogenic... Not the fat. Protein increases EE.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would never do keto.. anytime over in the past years i have decreased carbs i am exhausted and feel like crap. I also care about my gym performance way too much to go low carb or keto.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Keto is currently helping my epilepsy and digestive issues. My seizures have reduced and my bloating, cramps, chronic constipation, etc are gone. Interestingly, in the process, there was a week where I ate nothing but 24 tablespoons of coconut oil every day. The higher fat keto is originally aimed for neurological conditions so I put it to the test. By the end of the week, I had lost over 10 pounds.
  • Bill_Keto
    Bill_Keto Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Keto is currently helping my epilepsy and digestive issues. My seizures have reduced and my bloating, cramps, chronic constipation, etc are gone. Interestingly, in the process, there was a week where I ate nothing but 24 tablespoons of coconut oil every day. The higher fat keto is originally aimed for neurological conditions so I put it to the test. By the end of the week, I had lost over 10 pounds.

Glad it helps.

I personally like Keto
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bwoithe wrote: »

Glad it helps.

I personally like Keto

That's great! Can I add you?
  • Bill_Keto
    Bill_Keto Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    sure
  • LadyElectron
    LadyElectron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can change the macro nutrient goals in the settings. Go to setting, then my profile, then my goals, and then scroll down to nutrient goals and play around with it!
  • oliviascharfman
    oliviascharfman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course it isn’t for everyone! As for it just being a “guess”— well, no. Only certain foods were available, period. They didn’t have the technology for grains
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course it isn’t for everyone! As for it just being a “guess”— well, no. Only certain foods were available, period. They didn’t have the technology for grains

Who didn't have the technology for grains?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bwoithe wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Keto will help you lose weight if it helps you stick to a calorie deficit. Some people follow it because fat/protein satiates them better than carbs do, others follow it because they need to limit their carb intake. There's nothing special about it.

Nothing Special about it???? increased energy, Brain function, reduced risk of type II diabetes, reduced insulin levels, reduced appetite. just to name a few...

The toughest part is getting keto adapted "keto Flu" and ensure you are taking enough electrolytes.

I eat a well rounded and varied diet that is chalk full of whole food nutrition, including plenty of carbs...I experience all of the above benefits as well.

Pretty much any movement away from the SAD and you will experience the same benefits. It's not really specific to keto.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Who didn't have the technology for grains?

IIRC, grains have been around for 100,000 years in some cultures.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Lol...humans have been eating grains since 12,000+ years ago, and there's a lot of evidence that they were gathered long before that and before farming became a thing. Ancient people's also ate a lot of tubers and roots...carbs.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Genuinely sharing that yesterday I ate 2,000 calories, ~500 above my TDEE, and lost half a pound.

I ate a huge Chinese take out yesterday. I am actually having a week off from logging as have been unwell. It definitely took me over my maintainance calories.

I am down 1lb today. Weight fluctuates. I haven't lost 1lb of fat over night. More likely I am either under my calories over the course of the week enough to lose this 1lb or it is just a fluctuation. It's probably a fluctuation, albeit a nice one (I was expecting to gain a couple due to sodium in take. But again, that wouldn't be actual fat gain).

I can't say that eating huge Chinese take outs is a good way of losing weight because of this example though. Although how much do I wish that was the case :D

I have no problem with Keto at all. It seems to suit some people very well indeed. But we need to be careful attributing claims to one specific thing when in reality it will be part of a much bigger picture.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

This is a great example of where keto woo and propaganda doesn't match up with truth.