Swimming Question?

This morning I had 45 mins to kill...didn't want to go walking because it is getting pretty warm pretty quick...so I went to the pool and swam laps free style. I did one way of breast stroke and one way of back stroke for 35 mins. I mainly want to work my shoulder. I am 10 weeks post surgery (2 labrum tears and ligament tightening to fix stability) and have very, very little strength there. I can't do over head swimming, though. My arm just doesn't work that way :( I am having a hard time determining if I did moderate of vigorous. It was non stop and I was going as fast as I could...and did not touch bottom once. How does one determine that?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I wear a heart rate monitor when I work out, so I don't have this problem. :-)

What I can tell you, though, is that swimming at a just above moderate pace for me (by no means a racing pace) burns calories at about the same rate as a relatively vigorous walk -- about 100 calories every 15 minutes, give or take. That's obviously for MY height/weight/gender, etc., but maybe figure your calories for walking 4 mph for that amount of time and use those.
  • You may want to talk to your rehabilitation therapist about good exercises for you. And of course gauge how your body feels.
  • slbober
    slbober Posts: 5
    If your heart rate was way above normal I would go with vigorous. It depends on what your body is normally capable of.. Love your quote:)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    You may want to talk to your rehabilitation therapist about good exercises for you. And of course gauge how your body feels.

My PT said that swimming like so was fine and would help w/ the strength. My surgeon fixed my ligaments a little tighter than my pt likes to see, so we are trying to slooooowwwly stretch them out. I am honest to goodness sick of the lack of strength there, though. It sucks.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    I have a Pool Mate watch, really worth getting one to calculate your calories, average stroke, number of lengths etc. If you're not a regular swimmer then I'd consider you as "low level".

Hope that helps,
    Sarah
  • nitamo
    nitamo Posts: 64
    Log it in as *swimming- moderate* You should be able to find it on your exercise list on mfp:-)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I love swimming. I hate to sweat. Swimming is fabulous. I just don't have access to a pool. Bummer.
  • Queen_JessieA
    If your heart rate was way above normal I would go with vigorous. It depends on what your body is normally capable of.. Love your quote:)

Thank you :) I went with moderate because it said I burned 400+ cals..and I just don't feel like I did even that. It is hard to tell when you are in the pool and not busting a sweat. I really need to invest in a hrm. Where can you find a good one? Can you get water proof ones?
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    If you're asking this question so you can track it, I'd go for moderate. For me, I'd rather underestimate calories burned so that I don't eat back too many calories. Swimming is tricky without a heart rate monitor, IMHO, because I don't sweat as much, yet use a lot of core muscles and breathing is different than above ground. So in conclusion, I have no idea how to track my calories for swimming. :)

My HRM lets you wear it in the water, as long as you don't press any of the buttons (weird but oh well) so if you can afford it, a HRM would be the best way to figure this out in the future.

Maybe get a rubber resistance band and do exercises with it. My one-day MIL hurt her shoulder and does a series of moves with one, and it's been working. Small movements to build back strength.

Good luck!
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    I swim almost regularly and I often wonder this myself. After the treadmill I do 30 minutes of laps non-stop sometimes I swim fast sometimes a little slower but it's non-stop. I log this at 250 calories per half hour, because I don't want to over calculate and over eat my calories. None the less this an excellent exercise to gently work out your whole body. Keep up the great work!
  • Queen_JessieA
    If you're asking this question so you can track it, I'd go for moderate. For me, I'd rather underestimate calories burned so that I don't eat back too many calories. Swimming is tricky without a heart rate monitor, IMHO, because I don't sweat as much, yet use a lot of core muscles and breathing is different than above ground. So in conclusion, I have no idea how to track my calories for swimming. :)

My HRM lets you wear it in the water, as long as you don't press any of the buttons (weird but oh well) so if you can afford it, a HRM would be the best way to figure this out in the future.

Maybe get a rubber resistance band and do exercises with it. My one-day MIL hurt her shoulder and does a series of moves with one, and it's been working. Small movements to build back strength.

Good luck!

Thanks, guys! I went with moderate...I agree that I would rather under estimate than over. I don't even like eating my exercise cals!! I have worked my way up from a yellow to a red band that my physical therapist has given me. I guess I am impatient. I have a 4-6 month total recovery time (per my surgeon) with the shoulder. I am just ready to be done with the whole situation, kwim?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Thank you :) I went with moderate because it said I burned 400+ cals..and I just don't feel like I did even that. It is hard to tell when you are in the pool and not busting a sweat. I really need to invest in a hrm. Where can you find a good one? Can you get water proof ones?

From what I can tell, Polar is the best brand. You want one with a chest strap. I got one at Target, but you can find them in most sporting good stores and online.

I LOVE it and wouldn't live without one every again!

Forgot to add that most of them are waterproof.