Starting again...

Options
Well..... It sure is nice to fine that I'm not alone out here. I have been "Watching" my weight since I was 21... I'm now 60. I've done WW multiple times, some successful, some not... I promise myself that I will get my head together on "Monday" .... or "Tuesday"..
I've been a member of MFP for awhile now, but have never really followed to a "T" I do well for a week or so, and then get derailed, only to start again the next day, or the day after. About 3 weeks ago, I said "THAT'S IT...NO MORE" I don't want to do WW anymore, I don't want to be strict with myself anymore... I want to enjoy my life... That's not wrong is it?
I don't really exercise, but I do average 10,000+ steps a day. My mode of thinking has always been "all or nothing" But that doesn't always work... so, I get frustrated, and quit. Only to start again the next day, or the day after that. Weight Loss is a slow process... My husband always tells me... to aim for "Calories In vs Calories Out".... I've read some of the posted Success Stories, and it's amazing what a person can do...
I'm going to try again.....
Ok, Rant is over...

Replies

• dlanger7922
    dlanger7922 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started here on MFP about a month ago, and last week had a major set-back in my life, so here I am again, starting over. I'm glad to know that there are others like me, that have fits and starts. Gives me hope that I can do this!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    That all or nothing mentality is rife and that's probably where you're going wrong - I know that was the case for me.
    10k steps a day is great and that IS exercise so don't put yourself down.
    Now if you could just get your eating habits sorted and to do that it means starting being consistent at tracking your calorie intake. It really is worth the few minutes a day to track and log everything you eat. It gets easier too as the more foods you add the bigger your list will be so it'll be easier to click/tap on previous entries.
    Set yourself small goals, commit to logging every single day for 30 days to start with. And stick to it :smile:
    You have to want to lose weight badly enough to do this - so ask yourself are you at that place yet.

And for what its worth, I found MFP in 2012, got to goal weight before 2013 and have kept it off. If I can do it, anyone can :smiley:

All the best.
    Ruth
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input Ruth.. As far as being the right frame of mind, I'm headed in that direction. Small goals it is... I'm not sure if I can make myself log diligently for 30 days, but I know I can do it 1 day at a time. :)
  • Amerek412
    Amerek412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me was to stop thinking of it as "starting over" every time you have a day or a week where you don't hit your goals. Just think, well that was fun, but fun is over and it's time to get back to it. Don't beat yourself up over it either! You didn't RUIN your goals, you just prolonged it a bit; and by how much, a few days? Who cares, just get back to focusing on your goals and you -will- reach them eventually. That really helped me get into the frame of mind of thinking "this is just the way I eat and view food now" and sticking to it long term.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hey Kathryn, I understand. I dieted my whole life on one magic program after another and never got thin until I came to the conclusion I had to do what worked for me. I'm 61. It took me 2 years to lose 88 pounds. (I dropped around 18 or so prior to MFP and kept it off making my total loss about 106 pounds.)

Take your time and do what works for you. I have tried to get to the gym but have yet to make it. I walk a minimum of 8,000 steps per day. All the little changes add up. I cut out candy which I had been eating constantly prior to losing weight. I WAS diabetic. I'm off all my meds, blood pressure, diuretic, and blood sugar meds. I started eating at home instead of restaurants, I carry my lunch and generally eat healthier all the way around.

You can do this but it's a marathon not a sprint. Be patient and just work at making changes you can live with permanently. That's how you lose and maintain. We're rooting for you girl!
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Amerek412 wrote: »
    One thing that helped me was to stop thinking of it as "starting over" every time you have a day or a week where you don't hit your goals. Just think, well that was fun, but fun is over and it's time to get back to it. Don't beat yourself up over it either! You didn't RUIN your goals, you just prolonged it a bit; and by how much, a few days? Who cares, just get back to focusing on your goals and you -will- reach them eventually. That really helped me get into the frame of mind of thinking "this is just the way I eat and view food now" and sticking to it long term.

This right here is exactly it. I decided I needed a break after a straight 4.5 months of logging and trying to remain within my calorie deficit. So for 5 days I'm going to take it easy and eat around maintenance and maybe even above if it just so happens. I know I am not causing a major setback but might prolong my goal weight by a mere couple of days or a week at most. It's best not to take it too hard on yourself and realize this is a journey that comes with its hurdles. As long as the majority of the time is spent working on your goal it's okay to have a few days off here and there where you didn't hit your calorie goal.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

YES! A few days, or weeks, or even months going off track does not ruin your goals. It just extends your timeline for meeting them. After losing almost 70 pounds, then making a major move and job change, I went off track for 9 months or so, not logging and not exercising. And I gained about 20 pounds. It doesn't feel great, but part of me feels that I needed that time to adjust and relax. It's not the end of the world because I know this works. I figure it'll take about 5 months or so to get back to where I was, but that time will pass anyway so I don't beat myself up about it.
  • Amerek412
    Amerek412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

YES! A few days, or weeks, or even months going off track does not ruin your goals. It just extends your timeline for meeting them. After losing almost 70 pounds, then making a major move and job change, I went off track for 9 months or so, not logging and not exercising. And I gained about 20 pounds. It doesn't feel great, but part of me feels that I needed that time to adjust and relax. It's not the end of the world because I know this works. I figure it'll take about 5 months or so to get back to where I was, but that time will pass anyway so I don't beat myself up about it.

This too! The first time I saw someone say that it really hit me. A lot of people want to lose X amount of weight in X amount of time, and think it's a failure if they aren't losing that quickly. Which again I think really contributes to the "I'm either in losing weight mode, or I'm not" mentality. I personally would like to reach my goal weight by early July, that way I can be a little thinner with a few months of maintenance over the summer, then transition to a bulk for the fall/winter. I'm completely aware there's a decent chance I won't reach my goal...so should I just saw "aw screw it" and not bother? July will come regardless of my eating/exercise, so I'd much rather have lost half the weight I was aiming for than none at all by then! And still be working toward my goal rather than having given up months prior.