Advice Needed

Options
2»

Replies

• Burtonwife
    Burtonwife Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just hoping it’s not my age. I have heard it’s harder to lose weight as you get older. I can say it was much easier to lose weight in my 30’s than it now is in my 40’s but I am just going to keep going.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My guess is that, as mentioned above, the new exercise routine is making your muscles temporarily retain water. Get a tape measure and see if you're seeing any sort of improvement, it can keep you sane when the scale is trying to mess with your head.

Also make sure you're getting enough sleep. It makes a huge difference!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Please also keep in mind that the type of foods you are eating are going to be WAY more influential on your weight loss than the actual total amount of calories--

^ This is completely false. Ignore the remainder of the post, as it’s built upon a faulty foundation and has a ton of woo pretending to be truth. You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn, period. That is a scientifically proven fact.

Yes you do lose weight by eating less calories but nutrition plays a big role in overall health. If all you want is weight loss by all means eat pizza soda and candy. If you want to be healthy eat a balanced diet which can include "junk food" from time to time.

http://www.dailyherald.com/entlife/20170729/calories-vs-nutrients-x2014-both-are-important

If you read the post AnvilHead was responding to, you would see that it in fact asserts that the kind of food is "WAY more" important to weight loss than "the actual total amount of calories."
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Please also keep in mind that the type of foods you are eating are going to be WAY more influential on your weight loss than the actual total amount of calories--

^ This is completely false. Ignore the remainder of the post, as it’s built upon a faulty foundation and has a ton of woo pretending to be truth. You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn, period. That is a scientifically proven fact.

Yes you do lose weight by eating less calories but nutrition plays a big role in overall health. If all you want is weight loss by all means eat pizza soda and candy. If you want to be healthy eat a balanced diet which can include "junk food" from time to time.

http://www.dailyherald.com/entlife/20170729/calories-vs-nutrients-x2014-both-are-important

If you read the post AnvilHead was responding to, you would see that it in fact asserts that the kind of food is "WAY more" important to weight loss than "the actual total amount of calories."

Protein actually does assist in weight loss.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and have lost 42 lbs. using mfp. Much easier than I expected.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Burtonwife wrote: »
    Just hoping it’s not my age. I have heard it’s harder to lose weight as you get older. I can say it was much easier to lose weight in my 30’s than it now is in my 40’s but I am just going to keep going.

Age is not an excuse. There are plenty of people on MFP in their 50s, 60s and 70s who have lost appreciable amounts of weight. I lost over 70 pounds starting at age 53. Maybe @AnnPT77 could offer some insight in that regard also.

Really wonder if she minds being constantly tagged as the "old" person :D

Started at 51 and have lost ~130lbs in ~ 18 months.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Being 46 I was worried about that too but I have had no problem. I am down 18.5 pounds in 12 weeks. I weigh and log every single thing that goes in my mouth. I don't limit any food or drink groups either. It is all moderation and accountability. I workout most days and wear a hear rate monitor and eat a lot of the calories.

A week ago I had sinus surgery and couldnt work out for a week and can only do light activity for a few days. It is hard being used to burning 500- 600 calories to 250-300 but I am doing it. I am still loosing weight.

• angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    agree with AnnPT77. I'm 46 and started this journey years ago. I was around 40 when I got up to 210. I'm now down to 128. Got as low as 121. Have gained and lost the same 5-10 pounds over the last 4 years now.
    I used a Fitbit for a couple months and realized it either exaggerated everything or underestimated. My step count was way off. I would do 9 miles and it would tell me I only did 5 miles some days. Grrrr. If you're relying on Fitbit for calories then you may be eating more than you should be. Or you're snacking and not logging. Try TDEE and eat the same calories everyday without cheating.
    https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Try both sites and take an average. Enter how much you want to lose. The problem is you have 4 weeks. Usually you'd stay on a a certain amount of calories for a couple weeks then adjust up or down based on which way the scale is going.
    Also, at the beginning of any new exercise routine your muscles will retain water for repair. so you'll gain then lose all the water eventually.
    Protein helps with satiety, aim for .8 per pound of body weight.
    Weight loss is not linear. It fluctuates. Yesterday i was 127 this morning I was 128.4. Did I gain a 1.5 pounds overnight? I really doubt it since I know I definitely didn't eat over 4000 calories yesterday.
    Technically you would lose even if you did nothing all day as long as you eat under your calories. Weight is a simple matter of CICO. Consume less than your body burns and in most cases you will lose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

My mom is 80 and struggles to stay above Underweight because she is so active :smile: