Consumable Pet Peeves?

Options
HeyJudii
HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
I was going to call this "Food Pet Peeves" or "Edible Pet Peeves", but then I thought of beverages, supplements, vitamins, etc.

So, I settled on "consumable -

adjective:
1. (of an item for sale) intended to be used up and then replaced.

noun:
1. a commodity that is intended to be used up relatively quickly.
"drugs and other medical consumables"

My most recent pet peeve is labels that show the contents in ounces (grams) and then the serving size in cups (ml). And then there is the whole "about X number of servings per container" thrown into the mix.
I am tired after a long day, trying to fix a meal for my family and I need to enter this information into a recipe so I can tell how many calories in my serving? But, first, I have to determine if I use weights or liquid measures, then figure out how much exactly is in the entire container, then convert whatever measure(s) the manufacturer/packager has used...did I mention I was tired after a long day?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    All these. Serving size frozen for 'steam in bag' veggies, 'protein' foods with horrible protein ratio... add 'fat free' labels on pure sugar foods!
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    All these. Serving size frozen for 'steam in bag' veggies, 'protein' foods with horrible protein ratio... add 'fat free' labels on pure sugar foods!

Yeah, those ‘health halos’ you need to watch out for. Reduced fat usually also means more sugar and sodium so you’re better off with a smaller portion of the original recipe product.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    This has been covered in numerous threads, but label serving sizes that make zero sense.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »

Yeah, those ‘health halos’ you need to watch out for. Reduced fat usually also means more sugar and sodium so you’re better off with a smaller portion of the original recipe product.

Example - Nabisco reduced fat honey graham crackers have more calories than the regular.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    When I'm browsing the internets for food ideas and low cal recipes have pictures of bounteous dishes of food instead of showing what one serving of it looks like.

Oh or those 'less than 200 calorie a serving' recipes where a serving is so ridiculously small that it wouldn't even be enough for my kids (who eat pretty much nothing).
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Anything like Lenny and Larry's cookies, where they make one cookie two servings. I'm not gonna eat a half of a cookie and save the other half for later, especially when the packaging doesn't reseal. Same thing with Poptarts, although I haven't had those in years.

This is probably my biggest. For example, what is clearly a single serving size of chips but when you read the label it says 2 1/2 servings. Just list the calories for the whole bag for pete's sake!
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Anything like Lenny and Larry's cookies, where they make one cookie two servings. I'm not gonna eat a half of a cookie and save the other half for later, especially when the packaging doesn't reseal. Same thing with Poptarts, although I haven't had those in years.

This is probably my biggest. For example, what is clearly a single serving size of chips but when you read the label it says 2 1/2 servings. Just list the calories for the whole bag for pete's sake!

"Servings - about 3" - about? Could that be 2, or 4?
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    When I'm browsing the internets for food ideas and low cal recipes have pictures of bounteous dishes of food instead of showing what one serving of it looks like.

Oh or those 'less than 200 calorie a serving' recipes where a serving is so ridiculously small that it wouldn't even be enough for my kids (who eat pretty much nothing).

Yeah - anything is a low cal recipe if that's how we're slicing it. Lame.