Healthy snacks for losing weight?

NicH67
NicH67 Posts: 6 Member
One of my biggest issues is finding snacks to eat that are genuinely healthy. I find myself eating/overeating things that seem healthy, but in reality aren’t.. Before trying to lose weight I’ve always been a fan of goldfish, pretzels, cheez its, granola bars, so any healthy snacks you know of that kinda can be an alternative to any of those... I’m just really in search of some good healthy snacks but ones that still taste good because right now i’m not very well educated in how to know if a food is good for you. I go off of what the snack claims to be and not the actual nutrition facts.

Replies

• AnnetteNaab
    AnnetteNaab Posts: 8 Member
    Do you like cottage cheese? If I want something sweet, I’ll have a half cup of fat free cottage cheese mixed with a tablespoon of sugar free orange marmalade and ten fresh raspberries. It’s so good and low calories, low fat and low sugar. Plus a good source of protein
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    OP...I keep sugar free jello w/fruit cocktail (no sugar added) mixed in. No it is not ice cream. peanut butter, chocolate, and cookies but it satisfies my snacky feelings. Sometimes I put lite cool whip on top to add to the eating pleasure. I try to go light on my snacks because I would rather use my calories at meal times.

I also keep bananas and Halo mandarins around. If I have salty crunchy stuff I will eat it all.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Healthy is a broad topic. For me, a snack that helps me hit protein and/or iron is a healthy snack, because I generally have a hard time hitting those targets. So I have dry cereal (one that gives me 30% of my iron RDA), cold veggie dogs, string cheese, Simply Protein snacks... Sometimes I have Fiber One bars, even if they don't help me with protein or iron; a little extra fiber is good too. I just discovered a line of seasoned roasted chickpeas. They're not bad...
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    I don’t snack, I have learned that being a little hungry between meals is okay.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    If there's room left in my calorie budget, cottage cheese 4 oz. snack ups are a go-to snack, as well as high quality peanut butter and Sunsweet Ones (AKA, prunes!). I'm terrible at eating veggies, so Libby's 4 oz. microwaveable cups of sweet peas are a low calorie snack (30 cals.). And, the PictSweet "Steam in the Box" "Farm Snacks" seem like a good snack at 80-90 cals. each (for spinach, brussel sprouts, or edamame). The little fruit cups with no sugar/light syrup can be OK, for 45-70 cals. a cup. For less nutritious sweet snacks, dark chocolate squares/bites work for me (about 40 cals. a square, depending on brand).
  • loritanner2
    loritanner2 Posts: 4 Member
    my go to snacks are triscuit thins garlic/parmesan a serving is 21g about 10 crackers and some hummus for the icecream part there are pc smoothie fudge bars
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    For salty crunchy but low calorie, I like homemade kale chips, sliced and salted radishes, and sheets of toasted nori.

For sweet, berries with Greek yogurt and dark chocolate.

For "I'm about to eat my own arm if I don't eat something," a few nuts, or a tablespoon of peanut butter on an apple or celery, or half a peanut butter sandwich.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Mmm, I'm a fan of goldfish and cheez its too. Have you tried Cabot's snack sized sharp cheddar cheese? They're a good sub for salty and cheesy snack foods like that imo. https://www.cabotcheese.coop/seriously-sharp-cheddar-cheese-serious-snacking

I usually pair it with a small serving of nuts for some crunch or with fruit.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Ice cream. peanut butter, chocolate, and cookies are some of my fav snacks to eat.

im right there with you. I make nicecream which is frozen banana i like to add frozen greek yogurt cups and blend it in a food processor. So delicious and creamy its deceptive :p
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 111 Member
    Chieflrg, I was just viewing cream cheese bombs for ice cream substitute here:
    http://frominsideabubble.tumblr.com/post/49190129854/fat-bombs-lemon-clouds

has anyone else tried this? I can see substituting peanut butter, sugar free chocolate ice cream syrup. I used to like nutrilife protein powder added to sugar free pudding as a great susbstitute as a frozen dessert also; so many options there; and adding small amounts of no no toppings to avoid obscene cravings
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Fruit and nuts
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Cottage cheese with Triscuits, a green apple with string cheese, Greek yogurt with premeasured dried fruit or granola mixed in, banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter, granola or cereal bar with a Greek yogurt.
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 111 Member
    I just tried oven baked or air fried chickpeas/ or garbonza beans seasoned to taste, with so many recipes on site. A good substitute for peanuts, nice protein, and good on tossed salad, also