Struggling to accept myself

Options
Okay, so I've lost 30 lbs I'm 5'1 and I'm at about 122. I think I look okay, definitely better than what I used to look like. I stopped tracking macros and I'm eating intuitively and I've managed to maintain my weight pretty well....I like everything I'm doing eating wise/exercise wise and I don't want to change anything! However, I'm still struggling to accept my body for what it is. I'm not super lean, I still have noticeable fat, and I'm not super curvy to where that fat looks good. But I don't want to give up the life I'm living to get super lean and I don't even know if that will make me happy even if I do....I'm 20 years old and growing up I was always chubby and my family called me Gordita (chubby in Spanish) and I just feel like I'm always going to be the chubby girl, I avoid looking in mirrors in public and I'm nervous that guys won't want me, especially since I'm in college and a good majority of the girls here are just tall and skinny without even trying :/ I know not to compare myself to others and that the right guy will love me for me but it's just hard to love myself right now and I need Some tips from others who also struggle with this! Like I said I don't want to lose weight because I'm happy with the lifestyle I'm living, I just want to be happy with my body j09wpcev24b1.jpg

Replies

• BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You're not chubby at all.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I really think you are at a great level of fitness and really dont need to lose anymore weight at all. Seems more like an image problem coused by people always labeling you. This would probably be fixed better by talking than dieting.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You look better than okay! You've worked hard to lose those 30lbs - be proud and embrace your new body. Being happy with the routine and sustaining it is a huge accomplishment in itself.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Getting used to a new body is not always easy. People treat you differently. You need time to get used to it all. You look great in your photo. Don't let your mind ruin what should be fun for you. If these thoughts continue, consider talking to an expert. Be vigilant so you don't regain. Enjoy this time in your life.
  • su05
    su05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Woah! You have nothing to worry about! People who judge you may never see the hardwork you've put into yourself! Remind yourself how far you've come.. despite of all the cravings/ teasings! People will always find a way to say what they want to and girls will still stay skinny without even trying.. but you're a fighter! Look at what you've achieved! I have a friend who struggles with body issues too so I can understand where you're coming from. It's hard but not impossible.. every time you feel sad looking at yourself, just remember.. you've worked hard to get where you are now and you wouldn't do that for something you don't love.. you love yourself..Just have to remind yourself this every now and then, that's all! I really hope youll be able to get through this and see yourself in a more positive light. Sending you Good vibes! (Sorry for getting carried away)
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    As a guy, and trying to say this in the least creepy way I possibly can. I just want to reassure you that you have nothing to worry about and I'm sure you'll have more than your fair share of attention.

#notcreeping

What he said ^^^^
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! You can’t see what everyone else can yet. You need to give yourself time for your mental representation of yourself to catch up with the physical. I have the same thing. I’ve lost 50lb, but because I “live” in my body, and I see it every single day, all those little changes that are continously happening get absorbed into the “whole”. I look down at myself and I don’t see an enormous difference. But, I don’t own a full length mirror, and I literally don’t recognise myself when I do occasionally catch my reflection in one. I have to do a double take. Give it some time, hopefully mental representation and physical reality will align soon.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    You look really good Mama, I wouldn't change a thing..

Personally I don't really go for the super lean look as much as I do for the exact look you have now...

Most women would kill to look as good as you, and guys kill to have someone that looks like you...

Just be proud of what you've done and the guy that wants what you have will find you, and there are many, so choose wisely!
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    As a mental struggle with your body image, you are right to not want to change your body anymore. You've lost a lot of weight and are looking fab, there's no need! Now you have to concentrate on feeling good about yourself...love and acceptance are the keys! It's a habit you've got to create and everyday consciously remind yourself that you are great, until you believe it.
    Don't let anyone bring you down, especially in college. Remember that everyone is struggling with their own insecurities and those girls that are just tall and lean without even trying probably have their own insecurities and inner struggles.
    Feel free to add me if you want support :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I had a figure like this when I was your age the only difference is that I could see that I looked good. I was confident in the fact that I was slim and fit and healthy. I had no trouble attracting men. Confidence in yourself is very attractive. I would kill to back there now.

You are at that place right now. You look slim fit and healthy. So stop worrying about what you used to be, accept what you can see in the mirror and what we MFP people are telling you. We know a thing or two about this :) and focus on enjoying the rest of your life. The more time you spend criticizing yourself the less time you have to be out in the world having fun.

Trust me you rock :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, your head will catch up with your leaner body eventually, it just takes time to sink in.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Definitely not chubby, you look great!