Need a good tasting salad dressing!

Options

Replies

• CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Easy homemade dressing that is BETTER tasting than anything in a bottle.

Mix 1/3 cup each low fat plain yogurt (I use Greek) and low fat sour cream.
    Add 2 tbsp. honey, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1.5 tsp lime zest, and 2 tsp of lime juice.
    Mix well. Makes enough for 6 servings of 2 tbsp. each.

47 calories, 8 g carb, 1 g fat, 2 g protein, 16 mg sodium, 5 mg cholesterol per serving.

You can use lemon zest and juice instead of lime if you like. Tastes amazing (especially if salad has a little protein (e.g. chicken) and some fresh fruit on it).

Cheers!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I am like you with not liking many of the "low fat" dressings. One I have found and absolutely love is Kraft Fat Free Catalina. It doesn't taste light at all to me. :)
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I also, put a little cottage cheese in with my salad.
  • mtamashiro
    mtamashiro Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you like creamy dressing, I use Trader Joe's Tzatziki or Raita (basically a yogurt dip). They are very low in calories and although they don't have the same "bite" as salad dressing, they are very tasty.
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My husband and I particularly like Newman's Own Light Balsamic. I believe it is only 50 calories per serving. If you like caesar dressing, reply that you do and I'll post a Weight Watchers recipe from 13 years ago that is yummy when I get home!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use salsa.

I also make a yummy wasabi dressing that is very flavorful. You only need a tiny bit to add some great zing.

I guesstimate amounts...you can adjust to your own tastes, needs. Basically it has sesame oil (very little like a tablespoon), rice vinegar, tiny bit of soy and about a teaspoon of wasabi powder or paste. Depends on your tolerance and taste.
  • charsauce
    Options
    I make a salad that is pretty delicious/easy that doesn't need dressing! All it is: baby organic spinach, chopped strawberries, cucumbers, shaved carrots, craisins, and a little bit of toasted almond accents. It is DELICIOUS and sweet from the craisins and strawberries. Try it!
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Hello, Vicki!

I don't have a recipe, but I do have a dressing that I highly recommend...Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrette is excellent! I was never a fan of fat free dressings until I tried this one! You can find it at WalMart. Let me know if you like it! I really look forward to salads when I have this on hand!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I do not like low fat or low calorie dressing. I think the real thing tastes better and leaves me more satisfied. Just because something is low fat doesn't mean we can just eat more of it.

Also, I prefer Hidden Valley Ranch. It's just better than all the other ranches, imo.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gottatry4me
    Options
    If you ever watch Dr. Oz, he says that fat free salad dressings are a diet trap. He said they take out the fat and fill it with sugar. According to Dr. Oz, you are better off with low fat dressings or a good vinigarette.
  • pearlymae
    pearlymae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks for the great question, I have also ben struggling with this , THANKS TO ALL that gave thier dressings. Lots of new options to try.
  • Eplizzitiz
    Eplizzitiz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ken's Lite Honey Mustard. I use about 2 tblspns and it's about 90 cals. It doesn't taste "lite" at all!
  • MelanieWo
    Options
    Have you tried the Waldon Farms Salad Dressings? They are better than anything else I've tasted. They are fat free and sugar free, so good for diabetics. 0 Calories. They also have a Raspberry Viniagrete that is wonderful.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar and cracked pepper. I would suggest adding a little olive oil because it's good fat, but if you really want fat free that's my favorite.

Mustard and vinegar is also pretty good. Play around with different flavors of both. I like horseradish mustard and apple cider vinegar a lot (really good as marinade or sauce for salmon too!) but there are lot of good combinations.
  • delectabledebs
    Options
    what about plain old balsamic? nothing plain about it and i find the tang really lifts a salad!
    xx
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Oh, something else that is good is to add pickled veggies to your salad to give the taste of dressing without actually using any. I save the juice from pickled peppers to use in homemade salad dressing instead of vinegar.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    lemon juice. fresh.
    no, seriously... it's tasty!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Thanks for the references. Something that I've noticed is that cutting back on dressing can really alter my taste - I enjoy (and look for) the tastes of different vegetables - a salad is no longer a vehicle for transporting dressing to my gullet. Dressing *can* be used as an accent, a condiment. Go figure.

Homemade stuff is great, but for bottled, I really like Annie's Goddess Dressing: Shiitake & Sesame Vinaigrette. http://www.annies.com/products/category-14