Help! Oil is depleting my daily Calorie

Options
2»

Replies

• tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As others have said, use a spray bottle to spritz a little oil when absolutely necessary. I also use baking parchment paper to line pans in the oven (you can also line a fry pan and cook directly on the paper).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    This is a timely thread for me, I've been wanting to make homemade falafel but the recipe calls for way too much oil to fry them in. I think I'll try just lightly spraying my pan, I have a mister so that's perfect.

Could you bake them?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    First, try using parchment paper or non-stick foil on your roasting pans. Then use an olive oil spray (like Pam Organic) and use the tiniest mist possible. Or, I use a bit of veggie stock. for grilling, you really don’t need any oil.

Even better, get some silicone baking sheets! I dry roast thing using these and other seasonings apart from oil - e.g. mustard and a little maple syrup and water can dress some roasted up veggies very nicely. Lemon juice and garlic, a little bbq, buffalo, whatever.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    NewyRob wrote: »
    I love cooking with oil. It doesn't deplete your calorie allocation, it just uses it. Calories from oil can sustain you just like calories from vegetables (noting that one needs other minerals and nutrients not obtained from oil)

When you're a short female eating 1400 calories per day, 120 calorie from oil takes a good chunk of calories. Not every is as satiated from it.

I think Rob was just saying that "deplete" isn't the right word in this context.

Honestly, It's not the best word, but it's not wrong. If it's using calories without providing an appropriate benefit, it's depleting them.

That benefit might be taste, or satiety.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Grill things without using oil.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    This is a timely thread for me, I've been wanting to make homemade falafel but the recipe calls for way too much oil to fry them in. I think I'll try just lightly spraying my pan, I have a mister so that's perfect.

When recipes call for a lot of oil for frying, I usually just coat the pan. It does take a bit longer to cook and might not get as crispy, but if you are worried about calories, it's usually a good alternative.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I use a baking stone sprayed with non-stick. Then, bake in the oven. It works pretty well for me.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Could you bake them?

The recipe says no, that they will fall apart. I'm ok with using a little bit of oil, I find a meal more satisfying with a little bit. It's just that the recipe asks for way too much oil.

• BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

When recipes call for a lot of oil for frying, I usually just coat the pan. It does take a bit longer to cook and might not get as crispy, but if you are worried about calories, it's usually a good alternative.

Yep I will be trying that instead, thanks :)
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Could you bake them?

The recipe says no, that they will fall apart. I'm ok with using a little bit of oil, I find a meal more satisfying with a little bit. It's just that the recipe asks for way too much oil.

If it helps I bake falafel all the time and never had them fall apart :) I just spray the pan with oil and spread it evenly. Just make sure you flip them in the oven about half way thru baking so the whole thing gets crispy.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Over the course of the day, I typically spend anywhere from 50 - 300+ calories on added fats (usually olive oil and/or Kerrygold butter mmm). When I'm losing, I have a pitiful calorie salary (in the 1300's) but the oil calories (and fat calories in general) are worth it for me bc I enjoy what they add to food (flavor and texture). Plus, I'm someone who finds fat very satiating. I actually find it easier to adhere to lower calories when I'm eating fat.

As others have said though, you don't need much at all to still get its impact on the food. Before roasting a big head of cauliflower, for example, I'll usually toss the florets in 0.5 - 1.0 T of olive oil and I find that's enough. I also use relatively small pats of butter, I guess. I typically grab what amounts to 0.25 T.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    NewyRob wrote: »
    I love cooking with oil. It doesn't deplete your calorie allocation, it just uses it. Calories from oil can sustain you just like calories from vegetables (noting that one needs other minerals and nutrients not obtained from oil)

When you're a short female eating 1400 calories per day, 120 calorie from oil takes a good chunk of calories. Not every is as satiated from it.

I think Rob was just saying that "deplete" isn't the right word in this context.

Honestly, It's not the best word, but it's not wrong. If it's using calories without providing an appropriate benefit, it's depleting them.

That benefit might be taste, or satiety.

Or the benefit of supporting essential bodily activities with the fat needed to perform them.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Where is the oil going? The smoke point of extra Virgin olive oil is pretty low, it's more of a dressing than a cooking oil
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Now I want fawaffles.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I saute veggies (pepper/onions) in the pan with no oil and bake rutabaga/sweet potato/cauliflower/broccoli with no oil. It is doable!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Amazon has an awesome spray bottle, I just can't remember the name of it right now. It's basically a spritz like you'd get from a Pam can, but you can use the oil of your choice.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Amazon has an awesome spray bottle, I just can't remember the name of it right now. It's basically a spritz like you'd get from a Pam can, but you can use the oil of your choice.

"Misto" is the one I use https://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1523670689&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=misto+olive+oil+sprayer&psc=1