Gaining weight !

I am , or think I am , recording my food on MFP correctly and keeping below 1100 calories per day. According to MFP I should be losing weight , but last two weeks I have gained . Confused !!!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Can you open your diary? (Settings> Sharing & Privacy>Diary Sharing> Public) It's highly unlikely you're gaining any weight eating 1100 calories, unless you're very short, have very little to lose and/or are older.
  • nickyanne2
    nickyanne2 Posts: 5 Member
    Mmm tinkerbell83 all of those !
  • nickyanne2
    Thank you for your very detailed advice , it is difficult to work out the value of home cooked meals , I can see that a lot is guess work . I will certainly take more care. I am so impressed that you have taken such time and care in analysing my input. I would be interested to hear your story and look at an example of your daily diary , not sure how to access it. Thank you again .
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Tinkerbell has given you the answers (she knows what shes talking about too :smile: ) but I just wanted to say, its been a few weeks which is really early days. When you don't have much to lose its really slow going and your logging has to be impeccable. Stick with it, use a food scale and you will lose. I only had 20lbs to lose and it took me the best part of a year - I don't think weight loss gets much slower than that LOL.

All the best.
  • nickyanne2
    Thank you , years ago I could give up bread & potatoes and the weight just fell off , I rarely eat them now so have to cut back somewhere else ! But as you say not much to lose , but well done you for your weight loss.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    nickyanne2 wrote: »
    Thank you for your very detailed advice , it is difficult to work out the value of home cooked meals , I can see that a lot is guess work . I will certainly take more care. I am so impressed that you have taken such time and care in analysing my input. I would be interested to hear your story and look at an example of your daily diary , not sure how to access it. Thank you again .

Here's a post that contains more logging info and how to calculate the values of your meals :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10640205/the-basics-of-accurate-logging#latest
  • Linda_Lou_62
    Linda_Lou_62 Posts: 22 Member
    I hit week five and had a weight gain. I have no idea why. I log in every day and am always under. a few times too far under but I dont deprive myself. has anyone else had this type of shift. my hope is it will only be this one week.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    nickyanne2 wrote: »

I am not sure if you're aware but there is a recipe builder on the website. It's pretty easy to use and to adjust.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    I second using the recipe builder function for foods made from scratch. You need to be doubly careful here of the ingredient listings it pulls in though. I find that it is even less reliable than normal, and I have to replace it with more accurate options. Once you have it right though, it can be a great assistance.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    I hit week five and had a weight gain. I have no idea why. I log in every day and am always under. a few times too far under but I dont deprive myself. has anyone else had this type of shift. my hope is it will only be this one week.

Weight fluctuates naturally due to water retention and food accumulation in your digestive system. A salty or carb-heavy meal one day can cause your weight to increase as you retain more water over the next few days, and a delayed bowel movement can keep your weight up until you pass it out of your body, but both of those are temporary weight gains that have nothing to do with fat loss. Adding new exercise can also lead to water retention, as can that TOM and bodily-randomness that it would probably take an MD to adequately explain.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    I second using the recipe builder function for foods made from scratch. You need to be doubly careful here of the ingredient listings it pulls in though. I find that it is even less reliable than normal, and I have to replace it with more accurate options. Once you have it right though, it can be a great assistance.

I live and die by the recipe builder because I cook often and take leftovers to work for lunch. The recipe builder does have some major glitches in it (once I put in 2 T of mint leaves and it found "2 T crushed Mint Oreos," WTH) but once you get the hang of it, the corrections are quick and easy. I've gotten unpleasant surprises with some recipes I've plugged in (*those* recipes go in the 'holidays only' file from now on) but others that I thought would be calorie bombs have been worth it (like maybe a bit high in calories but very filling so I don't need to worry about being hungry later).

Seriously, if you cook on an even semiroutine basis, use the recipe builder. It takes the guesswork out.