How Much is Too Much?

Options
aylerz
aylerz Posts: 27 Member
I have been working towards losing 100 pounds. I recently hit a plateau after losing about 25 pounds with diet alone, so I introduced exercise (it was always my plan to add in working out, I was just trying to wait until I hit 50 pounds gone to make it easier on my body).
I have been working out for a few days, and recently gained 3 pounds. I know that it isn't uncommon to gain a bit when you first start because your muscles are retaining water and trying to recuperate, but 3 pounds seems high after only a few days. Should I be concerned? Or is this par for the course?

Honestly, usually I wouldn't be concerned, but I am taking a trip to Europe in August and I was hoping to have lost enough to not "panic" as I sit down on the plane. I've never had an issue before, but as I'm sure most others who are overweight can attest, the panic always sets in anyways.

Other notes: I eat between 20 and 25 carbs per day, and anywhere between 1,200 and 1,600 calories per day. Also, I had originally only been tracking weight. The day I started working out I took measurements, but I was trying to wait at least a week before remeasuring. I am doing kickboxing circuit training (similar to 9 Round if you've ever heard of it).

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Par for the course. Keep going.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Trust the process. If you are weighing and logging accurately, the weight loss will start again. Hang in there, you've got this
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Nope, totally normal.
    I gained 4 lbs when I started working out again after several months off. I also tend to see fluctuations from heavy training and off days. Frustrating, but it will level out!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    >> I know that it isn't uncommon to gain a bit when you first start because your muscles are retaining water and trying to recuperate but 3 pounds seems high <<

If you think 3 lbs is "high" then what would you consider "a bit" to be? 2 lbs?
    Why is this causing you to panic about a trip in August?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    How long was your plateau? A few days? Weeks? Months?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    After years at this, I still go up 3 to 5 pounds the day after lifting.
  • aylerz
    aylerz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    How long was your plateau? A few days? Weeks? Months?

Just under 3 weeks of no change.

lorrpb wrote: »
    >> I know that it isn't uncommon to gain a bit when you first start because your muscles are retaining water and trying to recuperate but 3 pounds seems high <<

If you think 3 lbs is "high" then what would you consider "a bit" to be? 2 lbs?
    Why is this causing you to panic about a trip in August?

I suppose I just wasn't expecting to see it within a matter of days - I was (perhaps foolishly) expecting 1 or 2 over the course of a week or so.

--

Thanks all! I'll keep on keepin' on.