Q and A Thread for all you awesome MFPeople.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I have no experience with lifting heavy, but want to as part of my trail running regimen. In theory I "get it," but am such a newbie I'll need a coach or trainer of some sort to make sure my form isn't whack. I have a YMCA membership, but I'm hesitant to hire one of their trainers because I have no ideas the qualities I'm looking for in a coach/trainer.

My main interests are:
    • Learning proper form for a program like SL 5x5 (I've (attempted to) read Starting Strength and NROLFW and frankly reading about lifting doesn't help my cause much.
    • Body recomposition (I'm roughly 7-10lbs from my ultimate weight range goal).
    • Preventing injury for my primary activity: Trail Running.
    • Getting badass muscles.
    • Increasing my maintenance calories.

I've had recommendations from other places to look into weightlifting clubs or CrossFit locations, but I live in an area where there are MANY of those, so I'm paralyzed by information.

Help.

Can I copy a question? Most of what is asked here is relevant to myself. Runner, YMCA membership, older (53), close to goal weight and got bored reading SS, but have been doing SL 5X5. The Y doesn't allow outside PT's and I'm not convinced their coaches are knowledgeable about it, the one I worked with to start wasn't.

What would be the best way to make sure my form is okay and prevent injury? I've watched a bunch of youtube videos but not sure that is translating to my actual form.
  • stac3wa
    stac3wa Posts: 38 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

What are your stats?, How long have you been tracking calories? Do you use a food scale? Weight lifting will cause an increase in water weight, because you are breaking down muscle fibers. And weight lifting will change your body in ways that cardio never could. Also, since you have PCOS, do you control carbs any?

@psuLemon I’m 5ft2, 186lbs & 30 years old. I’ve been tracking for a good while now. Wasn’t on MFP before but now back on here. I always use a food scale. Can’t live without one now! As for carbs, I’ve really started to be mindful of when I eat then. This week has been a bit more carby than I’d like as its food shop day today. I can function the same if I have carbs compared to low carb. It doesn’t change my performance or my energy levels. If anything, it send my energy down if I do eat it. I bloat a lot too so that’s usually why I don’t eat them. I’m going low carb this week, for a full 7 days to see if that does anything on the scale. Thank you for replying
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I think I'm doing this right, but I just want to run this by someone who knows what they're doing to make sure.

I... sort of made up my own program to suit my particular needs. I have no real goals other than to lift consistently every other day to help my joints and bones and overall conditioning. I have to keep progress very slow and measured because overexertion triggers migraines for me.

I have an adjustable dumbbell set and a light bar that I can load with the plates (it's 12 pounds) as well as a kettlebell sort of thingy that I can also use with the plates. I like this because I hate changing plates and I can keep the dumbells, kettlebell, and bar loaded for various lifts.

My current routine consists of lunges (I do these very badly, but mainly do them because they help the joints in my feet which are very sore and stiff from arthritis), goblet squats with the kettlebell, RDL's with the bar, bent over single rows with the dumbbells, shoulder press, bench press, and weighted glute bridges.

Now my question, which is about how I work things, is this progressive overload?

What I do, is I started at a low weight and around 8-10 reps, 3 sets. When that became easy, I added more reps to 10-15. When that became easy, I added another set. So 4 sets. When that became easy, I upped the weight and dropped the reps back. Lather, rinse repeat.

I'm moving this progression really slowly so I don't injure myself, trigger migraines, or trigger a flare of my autoimmune arthritis. In case you haven't guessed it, I'm also a little old lady (56 in a few months 5'1", 120 pounds).

Thanks for reading this rambling mess of a post!

ETA: Is there anything you'd recommend that I'd add to my routine? Is that a decent full body workout? I think I covered all the major moves you usually mention.

No one answered me, I... guess I'm doing okay making this up on my own? My one concern was that I was actually following a progressive program that hit all the main moves because maybe, just maybe, over the years I'll slowly recomp.

As for why I'm not doing some other program? I've tried them. I've dropped out because of things I don't like. This is tailored to what I specifically like which means I'll stick with it.

I'm just really confused about all this stuff and hope I stumbled my way into something decent and wanted to know if I did.

Do you have a tracking spreadsheet or anything to look at total volume? From a pression standpoint, if total volume goes up (sets × reps × weight), than you can be in a good position.

It doesn't look bad. The only thing you might be able to add is direct bicep/tricep/calve exercises if you want to build on those muscles.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I think I'm doing this right, but I just want to run this by someone who knows what they're doing to make sure.

I... sort of made up my own program to suit my particular needs. I have no real goals other than to lift consistently every other day to help my joints and bones and overall conditioning. I have to keep progress very slow and measured because overexertion triggers migraines for me.

I have an adjustable dumbbell set and a light bar that I can load with the plates (it's 12 pounds) as well as a kettlebell sort of thingy that I can also use with the plates. I like this because I hate changing plates and I can keep the dumbells, kettlebell, and bar loaded for various lifts.

My current routine consists of lunges (I do these very badly, but mainly do them because they help the joints in my feet which are very sore and stiff from arthritis), goblet squats with the kettlebell, RDL's with the bar, bent over single rows with the dumbbells, shoulder press, bench press, and weighted glute bridges.

Now my question, which is about how I work things, is this progressive overload?

What I do, is I started at a low weight and around 8-10 reps, 3 sets. When that became easy, I added more reps to 10-15. When that became easy, I added another set. So 4 sets. When that became easy, I upped the weight and dropped the reps back. Lather, rinse repeat.

I'm moving this progression really slowly so I don't injure myself, trigger migraines, or trigger a flare of my autoimmune arthritis. In case you haven't guessed it, I'm also a little old lady (56 in a few months 5'1", 120 pounds).

ETA: Is there anything you'd recommend that I'd add to my routine? Is that a decent full body workout? I think I covered all the major moves you usually mention.

Hey! Sorry I missed this one. I'll check this out shortly.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel wrote: »

1) Yes that's one form of progressive overload.
    2) Yes it's a decent full body workout however I can't comment on specifics like volume per bodypart or the arrangement of those exercises into the training week, but it seems like a reasonable way to do it.

You could add calf raises
    You could add a rear delt dominant movement like a face pull if you have resistance bands, or a rear delt fly with light DB's.
    You could consider training in multiple rep ranges and different intensities throughout the week if you perform at least 2/week frequencies such as having a day where you squat in the 8 to 10 range and a day where you squat in the 14 to 16 rep range and you have a slight load difference between those to sessions to regulate overall effort. Not mandatory but potentially useful.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I have no experience with lifting heavy, but want to as part of my trail running regimen. In theory I "get it," but am such a newbie I'll need a coach or trainer of some sort to make sure my form isn't whack. I have a YMCA membership, but I'm hesitant to hire one of their trainers because I have no ideas the qualities I'm looking for in a coach/trainer.

My main interests are:
    • Learning proper form for a program like SL 5x5 (I've (attempted to) read Starting Strength and NROLFW and frankly reading about lifting doesn't help my cause much.

I've had recommendations from other places to look into weightlifting clubs or CrossFit locations, but I live in an area where there are MANY of those, so I'm paralyzed by information.

Help.

Can I copy a question? Most of what is asked here is relevant to myself. Runner, YMCA membership, older (53), close to goal weight and got bored reading SS, but have been doing SL 5X5. The Y doesn't allow outside PT's and I'm not convinced their coaches are knowledgeable about it, the one I worked with to start wasn't.

What would be the best way to make sure my form is okay and prevent injury? I've watched a bunch of youtube videos but not sure that is translating to my actual form.

You and I are the same side of the same coin, I think! I've watched a ton of videos, too, but I know I have issues with range of motion (can't do an *kitten*-to-grass squat unless i'm holding on to something). I know I need help, but I don't trust the YMCA and, well, I'm lost. I keep on running because that's what I know how to do, but sooner or later, my lack of actual strength is going to catch up with me.
  • SideSteel
    I don't lift heavy; I use dumbbells currently ranging from 8 to 20 lbs (x2), some other equipment, like a cardio step and stability ball, and body-weight exercises. I'm scheduled to have bladder surgery next week and it's going to necessitate a three-week break from lifting anything—during exercise or any other time—greater than three pounds. My doctor is a great uro-oncologist, but not great on exercise advice beyond "don't lift for three weeks; don't push too hard too fast". After the three weeks, I was told to avoid lifting more than 30lbs for the next little while—which wasn't an issue then, because I had only just starting phasing in a pair of 15s. I'll follow up this time with when it'll be safe to start back with the 20s.

Any advice on how to get back into lifting after several weeks off? Common sense tells me I should probably start off lifting a bit less than I did before the break, but I'm not sure how much less and how quickly I should be increasing.

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm not asking when it'll be safe to go back to lifting; I'm asking how to go back to lifting safely when I'm medically cleared to do so.

Thanks for the clarification and best of luck with the procedure.

The first thing I would recommend would be to start doing less than you think you should.

I would bring load and volume down and ramp it up over about a 3 week period or so.

I will list one example but this example is not an exercise program, it is just a layout to illustrate a point.

Week 1: 1 set per exercise, 6 to 8 reps, light weight
    Week 2: 1 set per exercise, 10 to 12 reps, light weight
    Week 3 2 sets per exercise 8 to 10 reps, light weight.
    Week 4 2 sets per exercise 8 to 10 reps, moderate weight.

I'm being intentionally generic here but the point is that you are taking a period of a few weeks to gradually increase total volume either by adding a few reps, or eventually adding a set, and eventually increasing load.

The opposite would be to start out at 3 to 4 sets per exercise at your working weight, which would be a very bad idea even if you didn't have surgery.

Allow yourself time to re-acquire lost strength and work capacity. Additionally, you may also be able to make these stepwise increases to volume or load from session to session instead of week to week, but err on the side of taking very easy in week 1.
  • psuLemon
    stac3wa wrote: »

What are your stats?, How long have you been tracking calories? Do you use a food scale? Weight lifting will cause an increase in water weight, because you are breaking down muscle fibers. And weight lifting will change your body in ways that cardio never could. Also, since you have PCOS, do you control carbs any?

@psuLemon I’m 5ft2, 186lbs & 30 years old. I’ve been tracking for a good while now. Wasn’t on MFP before but now back on here. I always use a food scale. Can’t live without one now! As for carbs, I’ve really started to be mindful of when I eat then. This week has been a bit more carby than I’d like as its food shop day today. I can function the same if I have carbs compared to low carb. It doesn’t change my performance or my energy levels. If anything, it send my energy down if I do eat it. I bloat a lot too so that’s usually why I don’t eat them. I’m going low carb this week, for a full 7 days to see if that does anything on the scale. Thank you for replying

How often do you weigh yourself? And how many calories are you consuming? Do you still do cardio?

Its quite possible between your carby week and the fact that you recently started lifting, you ciuld be seeing extra glycogen and water storage, which could mask fat loss. It would be exaggerated if you are near a cycle.

Since you just started getting carbs under control, id probably consider monitoring for another 2 weeks to see if you have things under control.

How are your clothes fitting?
  • psuLemon
    I have reached my first mini weight loss goal at 288 lbs. My next mini goal is 283lbs. Ultimately my weight loss goal is 112lbs. I eat 2490 calories, do I need to change that number or keep it, when do I know if I have to decrease my calories & my biggest obstacle is how do I prevent from relapse.

You can decrease calories as weight loss starts to slow down passed a point where you are comfortable. Just keep focusing on quality foods, and adequate protein and fiber.
  • lev_k
    lev_k Posts: 21 Member
    Hi,

I'm a beginner who recently gotten into compound lifting (squats, bench, OHP, deadlifts). I progressed linearly for about 2 months, but now I'm plateauing pretty noticeably for bench, OHP, and rows, even after de-loading a few times and trying to progress with micro-plates. I've had my form checked by a professionally certified trainer, and they didn't see anything wrong.

If I had to pin point a weak area, I'd say my arms are the common denominator, since they're always the first muscle group for me to fatigue. So I was wondering if I should add some extra accessory lifts for the arms (right now I only do compounds).

Some stats:

Male, 24
    Weight: 185 lbs
    BF: Dunno, ~30%+?

Currently maintaining my body weight.

(Numbers: 3 sets, 5 reps)
    Squats: 95 lbs
    Bench: 130 lbs
    OHP: 95 lbs
    Deadlifts: 210 lbs

I really don't think I should be plateauing this early, unless I'm doing something seriously wrong. Any thoughts?
  • SideSteel

My main interests are:

Help.

You and I are the same side of the same coin, I think! I've watched a ton of videos, too, but I know I have issues with range of motion (can't do an *kitten*-to-grass squat unless i'm holding on to something). I know I need help, but I don't trust the YMCA and, well, I'm lost. I keep on running because that's what I know how to do, but sooner or later, my lack of actual strength is going to catch up with me.

A few options for your consideration and this goes to both of you who have similar questions

1) Find out if the trainers you are considering working with have any experience with powerlifters. ONLY because this may increase the chances they are competent in teaching the barbell movements.

2) Find someone certified through Starting Strength. I need to disclose that there are things about their teaching I do not agree with, but I would also think that OVERALL they can teach the movements competently.

3) Look for recommendations from people you DO trust and ask for client references. For example if someone wanted to work with me on ultra endurance performance they might ask for references from endurance athletes I work with. I would be thoroughly unable to deliver on that and they wouldn't hire me. (Note: I would not offer my services to this client because I wouldn't be able to provide what they need, but I'm simply trying to illustrate the idea of context specific references.

If someone wanted me to teach them to squat correctly I could show them before and after footage of multiple clients and how they have progressed the squat. I could show them powerlifting record books with client specific results and I can provide testimonials and probably even direct communication with current clients to be used as references should someone request this before we work together.

So this is one thing you COULD to when trying to select trainers who may meet your specific needs.

I would also be REALLY direct with communication.

When I hired my first and only trainer several years ago I basically said "I really don't mean to come across rude, but I quite literally only want to learn how to squat and deadlift properly and I don't want any coaching or training on program design or nutrition or any other exercises. I might also be annoying because of how opinionated I am. Do you think this is something you can do for me?"

Turns out he was great at it, and he's also a good friend and a damn good in-person trainer.

I'm rambling but these are all things I'd consider.

Finally, you CAN consider online coaching. It's possible to teach someone via online but it IS less efficient and tends to work better with people who have good body awareness. In person will be a better option in most cases.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Thank you!

• SideSteel
    lev_k wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a beginner who recently gotten into compound lifting (squats, bench, OHP, deadlifts). I progressed linearly for about 2 months, but now I'm plateauing pretty noticeably for bench, OHP, and rows, even after de-loading a few times and trying to progress with micro-plates. I've had my form checked by a professionally certified trainer, and they didn't see anything wrong.

If I had to pin point a weak area, I'd say my arms are the common denominator, since they're always the first muscle group for me to fatigue. So I was wondering if I should add some extra accessory lifts for the arms (right now I only do compounds).

Some stats:

Male, 24

I really don't think I should be plateauing this early, unless I'm doing something seriously wrong. Any thoughts?

Can you clarify what happens when you plateau by listing what your sets/reps do when you reach the top end weight, and can you clarify whether this has increased at all each time you deload (are you able to get "closer to" 3x5).
  • SideSteel
    I have reached my first mini weight loss goal at 288 lbs. My next mini goal is 283lbs. Ultimately my weight loss goal is 112lbs. I eat 2490 calories, do I need to change that number or keep it, when do I know if I have to decrease my calories & my biggest obstacle is how do I prevent from relapse.

1) You change the number when the number stops producing weight loss. I would cite these GENERAL guidelines:

a) .5 to 1% change in BW per week, so for you I'd aim for 1.4 to 2.8lbs per week average. Keep in mind this isn't a hard and fast rule.

b) Weigh daily and take an average of those weigh ins to establish a weekly average and ONLY compare averages from week to week. This will smooth out the daily fluctuations in weight.

c) One you go two consecutive weeks where you are well outside of these parameters (unless you have a valid explanation for why, which could happen) I would adjust calories.

2) As far as preventing relapse that's a really tough one but here are some considerations:
    • Take frequent maintenance breaks where you add additional calories to your diet and attempt to maintain bodyweight instead of lose. I would do this every 4 to 8 weeks. Add in enough calories to roughly maintain weight.
    • Focus on building good food and exercise HABITS while you are losing weight. Eating fruits and vegetables, preparing most of your food yourself, eating protein with each meal, eating mostly whole and nutrient dense foods and limiting junk foods.
    • Manage your food environment. To learn more about this you can see this guest blog I wrote for my friend Andy Morgan. https://rippedbody.com/mindless-eating/
    • Weigh yourself daily as mentioned earlier. Sometimes people regain weight but are not aware of it because they stop being aware of how much they weigh.

• lev_k
    lev_k Posts: 21 Member
    lev_k wrote: »
    Hi,

Some stats:

Male, 24

Can you clarify what happens when you plateau by listing what your sets/reps do when you reach the top end weight, and can you clarify whether this has increased at all each time you deload (are you able to get "closer to" 3x5).

Wow, that was a quick reply.

So basically for my lifts (specifically bench and OHP), usually as I approach the above weights I can't go to 5 reps anymore, I have to stop at 3-4, especially on the last set, due to too much stress on the elbows, and just plain fatigue in my biceps/triceps. And every time I deload (I've done it twice now, by around 20%), the same thing happens, at the same weight, it just kind of feels like a hard limit.

I also wouldn't expect recovery to be the issue, since I lift every other day, and rest for 2-3 minutes between sets.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

1) Yes that's one form of progressive overload.
    2) Yes it's a decent full body workout however I can't comment on specifics like volume per bodypart or the arrangement of those exercises into the training week, but it seems like a reasonable way to do it.

You could add calf raises
    You could add a rear delt dominant movement like a face pull if you have resistance bands, or a rear delt fly with light DB's.
    You could consider training in multiple rep ranges and different intensities throughout the week if you perform at least 2/week frequencies such as having a day where you squat in the 8 to 10 range and a day where you squat in the 14 to 16 rep range and you have a slight load difference between those to sessions to regulate overall effort. Not mandatory but potentially useful.

I do that routine every other day, so it amounts to 3-4 days a week.

I do a lot of walking (a lot, it keeps me warm and my joints limber), and might take up running again, so I'll skip the calf raises, but I do have resistance bands and and a sturdy patio door to add face pulls.

Thanks!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

No one answered me, I... guess I'm doing okay making this up on my own? My one concern was that I was actually following a progressive program that hit all the main moves because maybe, just maybe, over the years I'll slowly recomp.

As for why I'm not doing some other program? I've tried them. I've dropped out because of things I don't like. This is tailored to what I specifically like which means I'll stick with it.

I'm just really confused about all this stuff and hope I stumbled my way into something decent and wanted to know if I did.

Do you have a tracking spreadsheet or anything to look at total volume? From a pression standpoint, if total volume goes up (sets × reps × weight), than you can be in a good position.

It doesn't look bad. The only thing you might be able to add is direct bicep/tricep/calve exercises if you want to build on those muscles.

I had thought about the bicep/tricep work. That's a good idea, thanks.

I have a notebook where I track what I'm doing. Not a spreadsheet, but something to track to know that yes, when I make the shift, I am increasing volume.
  • stac3wa
    stac3wa Posts: 38 Member
    edited April 2018
    How often do you weigh yourself? And how many calories are you consuming? Do you still do cardio?

Its quite possible between your carby week and the fact that you recently started lifting, you ciuld be seeing extra glycogen and water storage, which could mask fat loss. It would be exaggerated if you are near a cycle.

Since you just started getting carbs under control, id probably consider monitoring for another 2 weeks to see if you have things under control.

How are your clothes fitting?

@psuLemon I don’t weigh myself every week. Kind of as and when. I did weigh myself 10 days ago, as I felt smaller but no move. Then i spoofed the gym scales and just jumped on them (not literally, I’d end up downstairs!) and same weight. I used to weigh every week but because of my PCOS that just seemed pointless. As if I am surprised by a cycle, my body can over night put me in morbid obesity lol!
    I consume 1650 cals a day. I don’t eat back any calories if I work out. I leave them be. I do still do cardio. On some days I warm up with cardio, so 15-20 mins on X-Trainer at level 10 then increase and decrease to push harder. I don’t do the bike as I just become complacent and as my belly is still rather large, my knees hit my belly which makes me feel sick. Treadmill isn’t too bad. I do a lot of LISS on there as when I run if feels like my shins are going to split open. I’ve just started using a Jacobs Ladder a minute on, 39 sec rest for around 10 mins. I usually burn around 100-150 cals.
    Some of my clothes feel loose. More so upper body, like sports tops, bras etc. Bottom half still the same. I can sometimes spot leg bulges/muscle in my thigh which makes me happy! Then the next hour it’s all flab. I suffer a lot for the inside of my thighs. I know you can’t choose where fat leaves but there is a struggle. So I do ‘frog squats’ a lot. In the hope that I can tone it up as it loses the fat.
    I’ve done a food shop. I am going to put my all into having low-zero carbs from pasta, rice etc for the next 2 weeks.
    Thank you heaps for the replies!