Protein powder

Options
Best protein powder in your opinion???

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I like WPI as its very low/no carb or fat. I don't drink shakes, just use powder to mix in to yoghurt or in baking, so don't worry about drinkability.

I also have a flavoured collagen based powder that mixes in to hot drinks (I use it in coffee) - whey clumps in hot liquids and isn't overly pleasant.
  • DeniseMayree
    DeniseMayree Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks!!! But I do drink it in shake form, right now, besides vitamins, it is my sole purpose of nutrition. But great to know about the collagen based powder, I do drink coffee and that can be one more way for me to get nutrients in. Thanks again hon!!!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! But I do drink it in shake form, right now, besides vitamins, it is my sole purpose of nutrition. But great to know about the collagen based powder, I do drink coffee and that can be one more way for me to get nutrients in. Thanks again hon!!!

You just drink protein shakes and take vitamins for nutrients?

I only mention drinkability as I hate the texture of protein shakes (or lack of) - to me they're like drinking dirty water! WPI/whey at least doesn't also taste like dirt (like most of the plant based protein powders I've tried)
  • DeniseMayree
    DeniseMayree Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have had gastric bypass in the past, my system is now built to handle being on a diet as such.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The best is the kind I can get the easiest that's also cheap. For me, it's from Trader Joe or Amazon
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I'm using Orgain now. It is plant based. The taste is ok. I think the tastiest is Designer Whey. I'm doing plant based now because it has more fiber and is less constipating.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I'm using Orgain now. It is plant based. The taste is ok. I think the tastiest is Designer Whey. I'm doing plant based now because it has more fiber and is less constipating.

I use this as well. I love it. I add a scoop of pb fit to it and it is delicious!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition casein.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition chocolate flavor. But I haven’t tried too many. I tried aldi’s protein because ON is so freaking expensive, and it was disgusting. So I guess you get what you pay for.
  • plumbjay
    plumbjay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition gold standard whey is good quality, it’s light on the stomach and tastes great! Whey is fast acting protein while casein takes longer to release the protein.
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I dont know if its the best, but I drink and like "MyProtein" brand in Whey Isolate in Chocolate fudge.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Unflavored Isopure Whey isolate....mixes really well with coffee, chocolate milk, baked goods, as long as your mixing component has a taste you'll barely be able to tell you mixed protein with it.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I use this as well. I love it. I add a scoop of pb fit to it and it is delicious!

This is exactly what I have been doing. 12oz whole milk, serving of the creamy chocolate Orgain and 12g of PBFit. Comes out to just under 40g of Protein for 425 calories. One thing I am not pleased with though is the PBFit. I recently bought a big tub at Costco after I ran out of what I previously had which was TruNut. The PBFit doesn't disolve as well in the milk. There is always a bit of sludge left in the bottom from the PBFit. I didn't have that when I was using the TruNut.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Still looking, only tried Gold whey and it leaves an after taste for hours. Really put me off protein powder. :(
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum nutrition gold standard whey, vanilla flavor. Reasonable calories, nice in shake form (I only drink it with milk but don't like it with water), and vanilla flavor lends itself to any flavor tweaking. You can add cocoa powder for chocolate flavor, strong coffee for coffee flavor, PB2 for PB flavor, and all kinds of extracts for all kinds of flavors. I find any flavor other than vanilla limiting, regardless of powder of choice. I used to use Syntha 6 - tastes great but not as gentle on the calories, which is why I made the switch. ON has only 5 calories per gram of protein.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum nutrition gold standard whey, vanilla flavor. Reasonable calories, nice in shake form (I only drink it with milk but don't like it with water), and vanilla flavor lends itself to any flavor tweaking. You can add cocoa powder for chocolate flavor, strong coffee for coffee flavor, PB2 for PB flavor, and all kinds of extracts for all kinds of flavors. I find any flavor other than vanilla limiting, regardless of powder of choice. I used to use Syntha 6 - tastes great but not as gentle on the calories, which is why I made the switch. ON has only 5 calories per gram of protein.

100% agree vanilla is the way to go can make it so many delicious flavors. Can also bake well with vanilla whey flavors. Anything other then vanilla is a no go for me, Although i did get gifted a cookies and cream one i like but dont use as much- But cookies and cream is a very vanilla like base so it mixes relatively well.
  • puttputt24
    puttputt24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Myprotein always run amazing deals that make the protein very cheap. Taste is also good from my experience
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »

This is exactly what I have been doing. 12oz whole milk, serving of the creamy chocolate Orgain and 12g of PBFit. Comes out to just under 40g of Protein for 425 calories. One thing I am not pleased with though is the PBFit. I recently bought a big tub at Costco after I ran out of what I previously had which was TruNut. The PBFit doesn't disolve as well in the milk. There is always a bit of sludge left in the bottom from the PBFit. I didn't have that when I was using the TruNut.

Totally agree!!! Even my blender bottle will leave chunks, but I have gotten past that. A lot of times I throw it i the blender with a banana, and that takes care of the problem.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I followed the recommendations and I have my first order of the MyProtein Whey coming. The price savings were fantastic.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I followed the recommendations and I have my first order of the MyProtein Whey coming. The price savings were fantastic.

I just ordered some MyProtein Whey as well! Should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm really excited to try it.

I normally drink ON Chocolate and love it so I'm a little nervous to try something different.