Kirkland Protein Bar Sale!

Options
bioklutz
bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
Heads up for people who like these! I just bought 10 boxes... Hubby and I have enough protein bars to last until July or August!

408cmqt0t21t.jpg

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I prefer Pure Protein bars that I get a Costco but am heading to Costco tomorrow and, if I can get these for $11.99/box, I may buy a couple of boxes.
  • stacybaker707
    stacybaker707 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Just looked them up and they are carb friendly!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    They're showing $13.99 on sale now. I ordered two boxes. I've been buying Quest bars, but been wanting to try the Kirkland bars for a while. Might as well do it while they're on sale.
  • bioklutz
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    They're showing $13.99 on sale now. I ordered two boxes. I've been buying Quest bars, but been wanting to try the Kirkland bars for a while. Might as well do it while they're on sale.

$11.99 is the warehouse price. $13.99 is the online price. They sometimes up charge a little for online purchases.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Couldn't even find it at my Costco today. Just the Pure Protein bars that I normally buy.
  • bioklutz
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Couldn't even find it at my Costco today. Just the Pure Protein bars that I normally buy.

I wonder if they sold out!
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

$11.99 is the warehouse price. $13.99 is the online price. They sometimes up charge a little for online purchases.

Since my nearest Costco store is over two hours away, I'm okay with that. It would cost me a lot more than that in gas to drive there. :)

I'm just hoping they're as good (or better) than Quest bars. The price is certainly a lot better, even when they're not on sale. Buying Quest bars locally is $24 for 12 bars.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I eat them. They are less like the Pure Protein candy bar doppelgängers and more like a grainy chewy brick of dough that has been compressed by an angry elephant... but I find them palatable and filling. Goes well with the morning coffee. ;)
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Since my nearest Costco store is over two hours away, I'm okay with that. It would cost me a lot more than that in gas to drive there. :)

I'm just hoping they're as good (or better) than Quest bars. The price is certainly a lot better, even when they're not on sale. Buying Quest bars locally is $24 for 12 bars.

I have never had Quest, but I have been buying Premier Protein Bars recently at Costco. I think your expectations are pretty high, too high. I think you will be disappointed. I bought two of the boxes the other day and have so far only had two bars. The Fudge Brownie and the Chocolate Peanut Butter Chunk. They are okay, but nothing to write home about. They seem to have about the same Protein to Calorie ratio as the Premier Protein. Though the Premier Protein have 30g of Protein, but they are 280-300 calories. The Kirkland Signature are 21g for 180-190 calories.

I usually like all the Kirkland Signature products we have tried (EVOO, Cheese, etc.) but I certainly wouldn't gush about these protein bars. They are just a simple bar, no coating of any kind. Kind of like a lump. Some of the bars are no longer square and are mashed or flattened because of shifting in the box and shipping. I know I could return them as Costco has a great return policy, but I will likely keep them and use them as a snack every now and then and may pack some on our next trip. But I certainly won't stock up on them during this sale and probably wouldn't buy them again.
  • taziarj
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I eat them. They are less like the Pure Protein candy bar doppelgängers and more like a grainy chewy brick of dough that has been compressed by an angry elephant... but I find them palatable and filling. Goes well with the morning coffee. ;)

You said it better than I was able to. That is my sentiment exactly.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »

I have never had Quest, but I have been buying Premier Protein Bars recently at Costco. I think your expectations are pretty high, too high. I think you will be disappointed. I bought two of the boxes the other day and have so far only had two bars. The Fudge Brownie and the Chocolate Peanut Butter Chunk. They are okay, but nothing to write home about. They seem to have about the same Protein to Calorie ratio as the Premier Protein. Though the Premier Protein have 30g of Protein, but they are 280-300 calories. The Kirkland Signature are 21g for 180-190 calories.

I usually like all the Kirkland Signature products we have tried (EVOO, Cheese, etc.) but I certainly wouldn't gush about these protein bars. They are just a simple bar, no coating of any kind. Kind of like a lump. Some of the bars are no longer square and are mashed or flattened because of shifting in the box and shipping. I know I could return them as Costco has a great return policy, but I will likely keep them and use them as a snack every now and then and may pack some on our next trip. But I certainly won't stock up on them during this sale and probably wouldn't buy them again.

Thanks for the input. I've had Premier Protein bars before and like them - they are more like a candy bar with the coating and everything (Pure Protein bars are similar also). I occasionally buy them just for something different. I like the coating, but the problem is that I often throw protein bars in my golf bag or gym bag when I go out, and the ones with coating end up a melty, gooey mess in the heat.

Quest bars are similar to how you're describing the Kirkland bars - just a simple bar, no coating - and I'm okay with that, even actually like them. So maybe I'll be okay with the Kirkland bars after all.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

This is a good description. Tastes a lot better than it sounds. Ive learned not to put them in the fridge at work. When they get cold they can be lethal on dental work.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think the chocolate chip cookie dough is the best Kirkland protein bar. And as for Premier Protein bars? I like the nutrition profile, but they have a funky taste, especially the salted caramel. And they're kind of hard and grainy. The Kirkland chocolate peanut butter isn't great, but it's grown on me WAY more than the Premier bars.

And for my money, the best tasting protein bar out there is the Met Rx peanut butter cup--tastes like a candy bar, 30 gms protein, 300 calories.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    costco also had some grilled chicken strips on sale this week. I kind of love them they are so easy just take out and pop in microwave for a minute and all done yummy chicken. Really good week for costco xD Glad i happened to have a friend with a membership to go on my maybe twice a year trip lol
  • taziarj
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    I think the chocolate chip cookie dough is the best Kirkland protein bar. And as for Premier Protein bars? I like the nutrition profile, but they have a funky taste, especially the salted caramel. And they're kind of hard and grainy. The Kirkland chocolate peanut butter isn't great, but it's grown on me WAY more than the Premier bars.

And for my money, the best tasting protein bar out there is the Met Rx peanut butter cup--tastes like a candy bar, 30 gms protein, 300 calories.

I am not that big on the Salted Caramel Premier Protein either. They certainly are very chewy, but I do like the Peanut Butter Crunch and the Chocolate Mint. The Salted Caramel is my least favorite of the three flavors I have tried.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

I am not that big on the Salted Caramel Premier Protein either. They certainly are very chewy, but I do like the Peanut Butter Crunch and the Chocolate Mint. The Salted Caramel is my least favorite of the three flavors I have tried.

This makes me sad im 100% a caramel lover if given options id of 100% picked that hah
  • aklrn
    aklrn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love these! In Canada they've been gone for a while due to a labelling issue and should be back in a week or 2. I miss them so! They've been gone about a month and I've been substituting Pure Protein bars. But they don't keep me satiated for as long.
  • AnvilHead
    edited April 2018
    Options
    So I got my order of the Kirkland protein bars today. Tried the chocolate peanut butter one. They were already nice and soft from spending a couple days on a UPS truck and sitting on my front porch half the day in 80+ degree heat.

It tastes at least as good as any Quest bar I've had, macros are similar enough and even though they were warm and soft, nothing was melty or gooey (a kind of important thing when you live in the desert with several months of 100+ degree temps in the summer and are going to be taking these things along with you out in the heat). They taste good enough to be considered a 'treat' rather than something you choke down as quickly as possible, and are chewy enough to have some texture without feeling like you're biting into a block of hard rubber (I'm talking to you, Power Bars!).

I ordered chocolate peanut butter and a variety box of chocolate brownie and chocolate chip cookie dough. If the others are as good as the chocolate PB, I think we're going to get along just fine - and for less than half the price of Quest bars.
    (Disclaimer - I'm not a picky eater at all, so YMMV from the above.)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

I just tried a Premier Protein bar (double chocolate crunch) and I thought it gave off a weird chemical taste. I could barely finish it. My husband kind of liked it - he tried a bite.

I'm trying a Quest bar next - chocolate chip oatmeal I think is the flavor. The price makes me cringe, but if it can serve as an occasional meal replacement that actually keeps me full it might be worth the price.

I really want to try the Kirkland brand because it's so much cheaper, but I'm not a Costco member :neutral:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    They have disappeared from ALL Costco stores in Canada so I find it particularly insulting that not only do the US stores have THREE extra flavours we don't... they also get a sale price AND we can't order them online for delivery to us (unless we use a US address and a forwarder).

I've been given mixed information about reasons for the recall/disappearance and frankly what I was told at the store level didn't pan out (i.e. was incorrect as it pertained to another company's products)

Customer service has not replied to my written inquiry via Costco.ca :disappointed: