1200 calorie goal. How to not go over?

Options
2»

Replies

• mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The way I do it, which may or may not work for others: I'm set to -2 lbs a week loss but use a TDEE calculator to estimate where my maintenance calories are. Many days ~1200 calories feels decent but if any particular day they don't, I know my hard limit where I need to stop or I will kill all deficit. I don't consider this to be "cheating", but rather strategic balancing of satiety needs and deficit and I plan to adapt this going into maintenance somehow.
    Exactly this! Super advice! I took note of my TDEE (and regularly check to readjust as I lose) and know that if I need to, I can go up to that but no more. Makes days where food prep etc is completely out of my control (eating out/visiting family etc), a lot easier to handle.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that even if you have MFP set to lose 2lbs per week and it spits out 1200 calories, that may not be enough of a deficit for 2lbs per week. A 2lbs per week weight loss requires a 1000 per day calorie deficit. If your maintenance is only 2000, then 2lbs would put you at 1000 calories per day. MFP won't go lower than 1200. So you are actually closer to a 1.5lb per week deficit.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, if you are hungry and weary, you should eat. The body knows what it needs, so don’t ignore it based on what amount you “should” eat to lose weight.

Only exception is if you have a disorder that doesn’t shut off hunger hormones.