HELP! HELP! HELP!

Options
I like most overweight individuals, have never eaten healthy a day in my life. And, most of the time, it’s not even that I don’t WANT too, it’s the fact that I don’t know HOW too. I don’t like salads, beans, rice, anything of that nature and basically.. healthy foods. Growing up, it’s always been fried chicken, pizza, pork chops, grandma always saying “your beautiful the way you are” in which I know I am .. it’s just the fact that, I now, don’t even know how to eat healthy period. What are some ways to wing myself on to foods that I absolutely hate. I know I have to eat them for my health. Do I have to give up all junk food to lose weight or do I just need to count my calories. I hear different things, “eat whatever you want, just count your calories”, “no carbs”, “do keto”, “don’t do keto”, “use supplements”, “don’t use supplements” and it’s driving me crazy because the fact is, I plainly just don’t know what works for ME.

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ultimately if you burn more calories than you eat, you’ll lose weight. If you burn 2000 calories a day, it doesn’t matter if you eat 1500 calories of fried chicken or 1500 calories of lentils, if you do it every day for a week, you’ll lose about a pound of fat. Find foods that you enjoy that keep you filled up and not hungry all the time. Experiment. Try new things out.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    RJ is right. You can easily lose weight by just cutting back on the things you know. Also, the good news is you are here and thus proves that you may not always eat healthy but you must still get enough basic nutrition to keep yourself upright. That is not to say you can't at times be experiencing certain deficiencies it also doesn't mean that you might feel a little better if you covered your bases a little better. If, for instance, you experience leg cramps off and on you might have a potassium deficiency (only an example).

How do you feel about smoothies? I am not talking the lawn clipping variety I am talking mostly fruit with a few additives for a little more punch.

How about seafood? Different types of seafood can fill a lot of gaps. Wild caught salmon is one of the go to favorite fishes but it is not really my favorite.

What about nuts?

In the years growing up you must have had side dishes to some of the pork chops and fried chicken. Baked beans, cole slaw, sweet potatoes, corn, carrots, how about yams at thanksgiving? Any of those? Something else?
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's going to take some trying to figure out what works for you. You will probably go over your calorie goal before you get the hang of what really keeps you full and fits in your daily goal.

Read labels, weigh things, and eat what you like in moderation. But do periodically try things you don't like again, your tastes might have changed. Have some spices on hand. And keep in mind sometimes you have to ballpark on calories, especially on restaurant food.
  • geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You already have lots of good advice. Start with small changes. My advice is to start by avoiding all fried foods. Than think about moving towards a more plant based diet. You're going to discover good tastes!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    There is only one thing you HAVE to do in order to lose weight, and that is eat less calories than you burn.

All of the other recommendations about having to cut out certain foods, or only eat certain foods - are not requirements, and you're right, it can be really confusing.

You've gotten great advice here already, about starting with small changes, getting a feel for your current intake, what fills you up, what changes you can make with your existing diet that won't feel like a major overhaul. I would start with one small change per week - like just tracking what you eat currently, don't even try to adjust it. Then next week, make another small change like trying a new vegetable prepared in a different way, or grilling the protein instead of frying it... once you get the hang of these small changes you can try a couple more, or try something a little bigger.

And keep in mind that simply losing weight and getting to a healthy weight can be a huge contributing factor to overall health, without even making dietary changes.

Good luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’m so happy that you’ve received very consistent advice here. You can incorporate small changes weekly that over a year can revamp your whole diet. Simply weighing and logging everything you eat can be an eye opener.

I realized that having a bun AND mashed potatoes in the same meal was just too much. I decided I’d pick one or the other and fill up on salad instead. That was my choice and it was an easy habit to incorporate.

New foods can be tried one at a time every week. Keep notes on what you like and make your favourites a repeat.

If you are wondering what a balanced plate looks like, this resource helps.

https://www.choosemyplate.gov

My advice is to buy small quantities of vegetables at a time. Prepare them at the peak of freshness so you can appreciate them fully. Or stock up on frozen veggies as they will keep.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has some great suggestions. I was in your shoes once. In my 20's, I rarely ate vegetables at all and saw no need to do so. However, my family history of diabetes and heart disease suggested I rethink my ideas of what to eat. So I started trying new foods. Now I have went from someone who disliked most vegetables to someone who CRAVES Kale!!! Yep, it's true. Over the years, I have retrained my taste buds. Did it happen all at once? Of course not. But food is medicine and good health trumps all the sweets in the world.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,105 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    But food is medicine and good health trumps all the sweets in the world.

^ This!