Mind matching the mirror?

Options
When will my mind match the mirror? No really, I have lost over 58lbs and I still can't seem to grasp the concept that I am looking good. I get compliments all the time by friends and still don't know what to say. Should I say thank you? I go to buy clothes and still choose clothing that fits loosely. I've never been a fan of very fitted clothes. Anyways, I was just wondering how long it took before your mind caught up with your body's loss of weight.

Replies

• Finallyhappy03
    Finallyhappy03 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds over the last 10 months and I'm still trying to mentally adjust the new size 8 that I see in the mirror with the size 16 that I used to be. When I go shopping I have to remind myself that I don't wear a 16 anymore and move to the section that has the smaller sizes. When people give me compliments about how I look I thank them and smile inside because I am proud of what I've been able to accomplish. Compliments keep me motivated. In my case I was overweight all of my adult life, when something is with you that long we have to expect that the mental shift will take some time. You'll get there (and so will i).
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but in reverse. In my mind I am still 22 and hot! Unfortunately that is not what the mirror shows!!! HAHAHA

Good luck, eventually you will be comfortable in your smaller skin. Maybe do a make over so that the change is a little more dramatic to you. Like a hair cut/fitted clothes/new makeup. Like they do on TV.

WAY TO GO!!! It is a great accomplishment.
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too! I've lost 55 lbs already and when people tell me that I am tiny, I know that it is just them saying I am tiny compared to what I was...or am I? Who knows but all I remember is that when I was bigger, I believed I was smaller and now that I am smaller I think I am still the same size. I have to put on old clothes or look at comparison pictures to remind myself how far I have come.
  • sldavis73
    Options
    I think that weight loss is as much a mental change as a physical one, especialy depending on how long you were heavy. I could imagine it would take some time to get used to the idea of not being heavy. I know with being heavier I have beaten myself up mentaly for years and been extremely self consious and never felt good enough compared to skinnier woman... That doesn't go away quickly but I believe with time and a lot of support it can. You have so much to be proud of and tons of reasons to feel good about yourself...

:)