Shock of the scales

Options
I only joined MFP yesterday evening so this is the first day I have filled in the diary and eaten within my calories. Because I didn't have access to scales when I joined I put the weight I was before Easter..........Today I thought I had better check my actual weight (thinking of maybe a couple of pounds difference either way) I had gained 5 pounds!!!!!!!!!! No wonder my clothes are stretching themselves to the limit.
Anyway instead of getting sad about it I am thinking thank goodness I joined MFP and can watch what I'm eating and exercise more. Im on a mission and feeling determined. Please help me achieve my goal. Thank you and all the best to all of you
xx

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Yes- you may have just caught yourself on a bad day. Particularly if you are a woman, it's not unusual to have weight fluctuate 5 lbs or more without having anything to do with fat gain/loss. Just stay calm & get yourself more data :)
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it, weigh is never the same, I weigh myself daily and the average difference I take note of on the Sunday. ;)
  • Dancingdobby
    Dancingdobby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, I've decided just to weigh in once every two weeks, this will then give my body a chance to benefit the changes.
    Hope you are all doing ok
    x
  • try2again
    Options
    Thank you guys, I've decided just to weigh in once every two weeks, this will then give my body a chance to benefit the changes.
    x

You can weigh however often you like, however, weighing infrequently actually makes the data more prone to error, because if you weigh on a "bad" day, you may not see your true progress. Many like to weigh daily and use a trending app that tracks the overall trend, this way they can get a sense of their overall progress without being unduly disturbed by day-to-day fluctuations.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh first thing in the morning each day when cutting weight. Water weight can fluctuate a lot. It can depend on sodium consumption, and dehydration among other things. For instance the next day after celebrating Easter I gained 4lbs. When you see large jumps like that it's just water retention. It took about 3 days to lose that 4lbs.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    x

You can weigh however often you like, however, weighing infrequently actually makes the data more prone to error, because if you weigh on a "bad" day, you may not see your true progress. Many like to weigh daily and use a trending app that tracks the overall trend, this way they can get a sense of their overall progress without being unduly disturbed by day-to-day fluctuations.

I subscribe to this method now also. I've been through a few weight loss cycles over the years on MFP. I used to weigh only once a week on Friday mornings. I'd invariably would go through frustrating plateau weeks semi-frequently. Then I switched to weighing daily and recording the average once a week. What I found is I don't really plateau much anymore. What I discovered is the plateau's were most likely because I was weighing on a fluctuation day that went the wrong direction. I probably lost weight that week, but it was being disguised by the fluctuation. Then I'd be waiting a full week again before seeing a drop in the scale.

• Sheluvsbread2much
    Sheluvsbread2much Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    you have a great attitude and that's half the battle. I have a feeling you will be successful.
  • try2again
    Options
    raindawg wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    x

I subscribe to this method now also. I've been through a few weight loss cycles over the years on MFP. I used to weigh only once a week on Friday mornings. I'd invariably would go through frustrating plateau weeks semi-frequently. Then I switched to weighing daily and recording the average once a week. What I found is I don't really plateau much anymore. What I discovered is the plateau's were most likely because I was weighing on a fluctuation day that went the wrong direction. I probably lost weight that week, but it was being disguised by the fluctuation. Then I'd be waiting a full week again before seeing a drop in the scale.

Yeah... we don't want to be slaves to the scale, but it can be a bummer to have to go a week or more with no positive input.

Another post that will likely be helpful sooner than later:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I log weekly and use the reports on mfp to look at progress, not as detailed as some apps you can get but a good one to start with as your already on here x
  • Jungley
    Jungley Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow this is such a great thread - it's happened to me a lot regarding fluctuations and only yesterday i was thinking that at least overall i seem to be on a downward trend. What a great idea to get a tracker and record an average - might seem obvious to some but as a newbie i really appreciated this tip!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Loving your positive attitude, that will get you places :smile:
  • try2again
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice, this is exactly what I need to keep me going......and as it happens I have weighed myself again this morning and I'm happy to say I'm 4 pounds down. I didn't realise how much weight can fluctuate.

Ah, good! Just remember- those big swings are water, not fat. No need to let them faze you :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Get a tape measure and measure yourself. There is a place here for your measurements.
  • beckyjmax
    beckyjmax Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the name of the app, but there is an app available that takes your daily weight and averages it for you. The scale used to often dictate how I felt that day, I like the idea of averaging your wt once a week.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Aww I can relate! When I started exercising and tracking loosely in August, I thought I weighted 207lbs (it was my last known weight). When I finally did weigh myself, I was 219lbs. It was an awful shock. You've got this though! You're here, making changes, and you had the courage to start!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    beckyjmax wrote: »
    I don't remember the name of the app, but there is an app available that takes your daily weight and averages it for you. The scale used to often dictate how I felt that day, I like the idea of averaging your wt once a week.

Happy Scale (iOS), Libra (Android) or weightgrapher.com (Web) will do this.
  • Dancingdobby
    Dancingdobby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just downloaded Happy scale - looks great and just what I’m after. Thanks
    Feel good today
  • jaxsmama123
    jaxsmama123 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    After a day or 4 of crappy eating and no exercise I notice I'm almost 7-10 lbs heavier than usual (enter panic mode), but I kick myself into gear and notice my weight is back to normal after a few days.