Calories to burn fat/build muscle? Workouts?

Options
Jadu786
Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
Hello Everyone!

I am trying to learn to burn fat and build some muscle/get some definition.
I am currently 147 lbs, I am 5'5. I wear a size 8 in clothing.
I am trying to figure out the following:
1. Whats a good workout to do to burn fat and build muscle? I downloaded a workout called LivFit from www.bodybuilding.com, it has a 4 day split, its a 12 week program.
2. What kind of diet should I follow? Should I track macros or just focus on calories? I've set up my fitness pal to lose .5 lbs a week so it has allowed around 1449 calories - I'm also eating the calories I burn doing cardio.

If anyone has ever gone through this where they go from being bigger to losing weight, and then from having flabby areas to becoming tone - please offer your advice.

I'm trying to stay within my calorie goals and eat as healthy as possible...

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    LivFit is a pretty standard bodybuilding split. To get the most bang for your buck on a bodybuilding split, you need to have a decent strength base. That strength base would be achieved quicker on a program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. If you enjoy the LivFit program, however, keep doing it. Make sure your weights go up as the program progresses. There are no magical fat burning workouts, but continuing with strength training is going to help you retain some of your muscle mass and make you look better as the pounds come off.

As far as diet is concerned, it looks like you are eating at a really reasonable deficit. Make protein a priority at your meals. Get at least one Gram per pound of lean body mass. Eat what you would like with the rest of your calories:-)

I'm going through that whole flabby to more toned thing right now. For me, it has come down to body acceptance. I know I could loose more weight to make my stomach look better, but my legs and knees would pay the price. I always lose on my legs first. I've decided to focus on strength oriented goals and let the aesthetics come in their own time:-)

Best wishes!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    To burn fat and build muscle at the same time is typically called recomp and can be a long process. Its basically eating maintenance calories while using a progressive lifting routine. Livefit on bb.com is a good program in general.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If you want to lean down and maintain the muscle you have to have more definition, you will be eating in a calorie deficit. Chances are you won't gain too much, if any muscle, but you can help maintain what you have.

If you are happy with your weight and want to maintain to lose fat and build muscle at the same time, you can eat at maintenance and recomp but keep in mind, this can take a lot of time and patience especially if your bodyfat is on the higher side.

With your stats you could go either way, although it will depend on your bodyfat% and goals... if you want to lean out more I would recommend eating in a small deficit.. then reassess every 5lbs or so.

With both options you want to get adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb goalweight) and follow a progressive lifting program for the best results, I don't know much about the LivFit program but if you are a beginner I wouldn't recommend a typical bodypart bro-split, I would look for something full body or upper/lower that works each muscle group at least 2x per week. See here for a list of great programs:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Building muscle and losing fat is usually only possible if you are a beginner, which I assume you might be since you are asking. To do this you need to be in a caloric maintenance, eat as many calories as you expend, or in a very slight deficit. You should not aim for anything more than .5lbs per week, and add in calories if you do cardio or when you train. Most workout programs will give you good results if you are a beginner, so go to the link sardelsa shared and see if you find any you like.

I have seen several clients achieve body recomposition, so it is possible, but you will not want to be in a too large deficit and you will want to have a structured program with planned progressive overload (increasingly higher weight or more reps as time goes by).
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    andreaen wrote: »
    Building muscle and losing fat is usually only possible if you are a beginner, which I assume you might be since you are asking. To do this you need to be in a caloric maintenance, eat as many calories as you expend, or in a very slight deficit. You should not aim for anything more than .5lbs per week, and add in calories if you do cardio or when you train. Most workout programs will give you good results if you are a beginner, so go to the link sardelsa shared and see if you find any you like.

I have seen several clients achieve body recomposition, so it is possible, but you will not want to be in a too large deficit and you will want to have a structured program with planned progressive overload (increasingly higher weight or more reps as time goes by).

This

• Jadu786
    Options
    I am not a beginner.. I've been lifting and workout out for a few years... I used to weigh 175 and was a size 12/14. Then I got down to a size 4 and was 130 lbs. For the past 5 years, I try different lifting programs and meal plans, work out, and am around 147 and a size 8. I'd basically just like to be less flabby and more strong. I have some areas with loose skin from the weight loss etc. I'd just like to see more definition.

The program I started from bb.com says its good for everyone beginner - intermediate...
  • Jadu786
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you want to lean down and maintain the muscle you have to have more definition, you will be eating in a calorie deficit. Chances are you won't gain too much, if any muscle, but you can help maintain what you have.

If you are happy with your weight and want to maintain to lose fat and build muscle at the same time, you can eat at maintenance and recomp but keep in mind, this can take a lot of time and patience especially if your bodyfat is on the higher side.

With your stats you could go either way, although it will depend on your bodyfat% and goals... if you want to lean out more I would recommend eating in a small deficit.. then reassess every 5lbs or so.

With both options you want to get adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb goalweight) and follow a progressive lifting program for the best results, I don't know much about the LivFit program but if you are a beginner I wouldn't recommend a typical bodypart bro-split, I would look for something full body or upper/lower that works each muscle group at least 2x per week. See here for a list of great programs:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thank You for this link - it is very helpful