Mexican Restaurant Tonight! What to EAT???

Options
2»

Replies

• sfeld1
    sfeld1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey there!

Mexican is always hard for me too! But, the good news is, you can defanitly enjoy your dinner, celebrate with your freinds, and leave feeling good about your food choice.

Heres what I do...
    I order veggie fajitas, cooked WITHOUT any added oils( just as the server). I dont usually have them bring the tortillas, sour cream or cheese, I replace the rice with a side salad, and insted of refried beans I order black beans (theses are great soruce of protien to fill you up). If I am really craving the tortillas i just load them up with the veggies, salsa, and lettuce. Of course I do treat myself to a margarita, but light beer is a great option to save calories! One word of advice...stay clear from the tortilla chips because we all know, its impossible to just have a "few".(If you feel left out, ask the server to bring your side salad ASAP so your not sitting watching everyone else devour the chips.) Hope this helps, good luck!
  • roxyjo1
    roxyjo1 Posts: 29
    Options
    last week my fiance & I went to a mexican place & we split an order of fajitas. I didn't eat any chips, rice, beans, cheese or sour cream. I just made a "salad" with the lettuce, pico de gallo, a little salsa, guacamole, & the chicken & vegetable fajita mix. It was pretty good! and I left the restaurant knowing I did the best I could.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I plan lots of exercise when I want Mexican. I will go ALL out, it is a weakness I cannot tame.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I always get grilled fish tacos at a Mexican restaurant! I find they are healthful and delicious... :) Or fajitas w/ out the cheese, sour cream, and tortillas.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    A few tips here:

Mexican Dining

Mexican Food is often rich and creamy. But by knowing the basics, you can look for the full-flavoured meals with the lowest possible calories....pass the salsa, extra chillies please!
    Strategies

Top tips
    • Enjoy the salsa served before your meal but avoid the deep-fried corn tortilla chips, choose a flour tortilla instead
    • Ask for soured cream and guacamole to be served on the side and limit how much you eat of these. Substitute soured cream with natural yoghurt.
    • Ask for only a little cheese in your meal
    • Chilli peppers are addictive! Eating very hot chillies stimulates the production of endorphins, the body's own painkillers, and causes a natural high

Healthy Choices

Starters:
    • Black bean soup
    • Gazpacho
    • Chili con carne
    • Tostada

Salads:
    • Mexican salad without cheese

Main Courses:
    • Soft or flour tortillas
    • Tostadas, burritos, soft tacos, enchiladas, tamales and fajitas without extra soured cream, cheese or guacamole
    • Shredded spicy chicken, beef or ground beef
    • Steamed tamales or corn tortillas filled with chicken or beans

Side Orders:
    • Yellow, mexican or plain rice
    • Pico de gallo
    • Salsa
    • Tortillas
    • Black beans

Desserts:
    • Fruit Flan

Foods to avoid
    Main Courses:
    • Burgers and fries

Side Orders:
    • Extra servings of soured cream, guacamole, re-fried beans or cheese
    • Deep-fried corn tortilla chips
    • Fried filled tortillas (chimi-changas)
    • Deep-fried chicken wings or tortilla fillings (flauta)
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    mexican is hard for me because what i really want is tons of salted chips and salsa and a couple margaritas! ;-)

Do you like ceviche? Definately lower on the calorie side. You can ask for regular corn tortillas and tear off chunks instead of eating chips, it actually works and is more filling! Instead of a margarita, get a shot of tequila on the side and splurge by having a diet soda (lemon lime/7up is good with tequila ;-) or iced tea on the side. You can sip on the shot throughout the meal and feel as if you are sharing in the festivity, but your thirst quencher is just about guilt free. I often get a salad - without a shell, and use salsa and limes as the dressing. My splurge would be getting fajitas on top of it or shrimp (i make sure to skip any rice, beans and cheese some places use. And i'm sure a chicken enchilada with no cheese, can't be that bad, can it ;-). Mexican is hard, but i have found it very doable, just remember salsa and fresh things are your friend, then pick the protien to eat it with!
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Girl, you are celebrating, enjoy yourself a margarita!! :P

I agree. As long as this is a special occasion (and you don't have a special occasion every week), go and enjoy yourself!
  • shashaz2002
    Options
    There are a lot of great choices you can get, such as Fajitas (Chicken, steak or shrimp), I would eat corn instead of flour tortillas. You can also get any salad w/ your choice of meat and use salsa for the dressing. I have to eat my chips and salsa, and guacamole, I just eat them slowly, and portion them out, because I don't like to deprive myself, otherwise deprivation = failure.