bread replacement??

Options
NicH67
NicH67 Posts: 6 Member
Lately i’ve been trying to cut out all bread from my diet in hopes to lose weight. The thing is i ocassionly have a vegan burger or a turkey burger for dinner but don’t know what to put it on. I know I could just easily eat it just the patty but i’d prefer having it on something.. I’ve tried doing the lettuce wrapped burger and I was for sure NOT a fan.. So if anyone has any other ideas or if there isn’t many bread replacements I would even be open to healthy bread options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fats have twice the calories per gram of either carbs/bread or protein. It’s not bread that is pushing you over your daily calorie allowance it’s your whole meal.

To meet my calorie goals I started eating burgers open face with half the bread.

Most wraps have just as many calories as the bread they are replacing.

The low calorie breads in my experience are too weak to support a sandwich.

Some people are fans of the seeded and sprouted breads like Ezekiel or Squirrelly bread. Some of their bulk is made up of fiber to make them lower calorie but check the label.

If you are eating out a restaurant will not be equipped with the specialty bread you are looking for. So just ditch half the bun. IMO.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found this flat bread at Costco. 74 calories per wrap.

http://www.mountainbread.com.au/breads/organic/product-detail.aspx
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Something about a burger that is not the same without a bun. The same for a sandwich. I don't eat very high calorie buns or sandwich bread. My buns are 110 cals and sandwich bread is 60 cals per slice. I just prelog the bun or bread and enjoy the burger or sandwich.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've seen recipes for cauliflower pizza. Maybe you can turn what they make crust into a type of bun
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    theres nothing wrong with bread.

but if you insist on replacing it, you can use a tortilla (which for the record can be just as 'bad') or sandwich thins, or light english muffins, or pita bread
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've used cloud bread, AKA oopsie rolls and they work just fine. They are super easy to make, and are pretty satisfying.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    NicH67 wrote: »
    Lately i’ve been trying to cut out all bread from my diet in hopes to lose weight. The thing is i ocassionly have a vegan burger or a turkey burger for dinner but don’t know what to put it on. I know I could just easily eat it just the patty but i’d prefer having it on something.. I’ve tried doing the lettuce wrapped burger and I was for sure NOT a fan.. So if anyone has any other ideas or if there isn’t many bread replacements I would even be open to healthy bread options

Bread is not the cause of your weight gain. It's how you calculate your calories (do you weigh your food??? Do you track everything you eat??? Is the TDEE number really your TDEE???). No food or macro makes you gain weight, eating more calories than you burn does that and this is coming from a guy who was eating McDonald's when I was cutting (aka fat loss phase) and still losing weight.
  • adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use this bread for my peanut butter sandwiches.

https://www.saraleebread.com/our-breads/delightful-healthy-multi-grain-bread

90 Calories per 2 piece serving
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There is no replacement for bread, IMO. I eat bread every single day and have lost over 70 pounds, so bread, in and of itself, certainly doesn't cause failure of weight loss. Losing weight is all about eating less calories than you burn, not omitting any particular thing from your diet (unless maybe it's a 'trigger food' that causes you to overeat).

As far as suggestions for bread, I like Dave's Killer Bread. The thin sliced versions are 60-70 calories per slice and very tasty.
  • notafatmommy
    notafatmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato toast, large Portabella mushroom caps, lettuce wrap.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Cut it up and put it in a salad.

Anything that goes on bread, I make a salad from. I don't want a lettuce bun. I need more food than that.

I had pizza salad tonight.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can get it where you live, but my husband and I buy Heiner's 35 calorie whole wheat bread. :)
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    The french flatbread Socca (many recipes online) is a chickpea based food rather than grain based - it's sometimes worth using.

injera is another flatbread, fermented so it tastes kind of like sourdough even though it's thin like a crepe and is teff based, not wheat.

or like was said, portobello mushroom caps.

For little ones, you can use slices of potato, sweet potato, or other root veggies that have enough diameter to work for you. Sometimes, cutting the 'burger' into small, bitesized pieces and putting something on them, to make sort of finger foods, can work nicely without having to have them inside of anything.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've seen recipes for cauliflower pizza. Maybe you can turn what they make crust into a type of bun

I saw a tweet from a celebrity who made a cauliflower pizza...... Let's just say it wasn't a success :lol:
  • Vilanoman
    Vilanoman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Flatout whole wheat flat bread. Still has calories (100 cal per piece) but better than two slices of bread (79 cal x2) I just put my sandwich makings on it and roll it up.

Cutting out bread will help with weight loss if you're doing a keto diet, but don't worry too much about eating bread as long as you're under your calorie goal for the day. An occasional slice won't hurt you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you like bread there's no reason to cut it out from your diet. It contains calories just like any other food stuff - track your calories, stay within your allowance and weight loss will follow.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If bread is an easy place for you to cut calories, go ahead, but in this instance it seems to be making your life harder, not easier. Why not "avoid" bread instead of "cutting all bread from your diet?" Bread is not magic and no one will tell on you if you do it wrong - your calorie intake, which is the only thing which leads to weight loss, will never know the difference.

As a diabetic I don't usually eat buns because my blood sugar can only handle about half a large bun, which is no use to anybody, and I prefer to eat a small amount of fries than half a bun. But I have not found a good alternative. If you like to eat ingredients on your burger and a lettuce wrap falls apart, using cabbage instead of lettuce can help. But the best bun is still a bun.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm weird about having to have a bun! So I buy the small ones,weight it,hollow it out then weight again makes it under 100 calories B)