Lunch Ideas

Options
So I am a busy mom of 2 girls and I work full time. To help with my fitness I go workout on my lunch break and then eat lunch at my desk afterwards. I usually have a salad but I'm looking to venture out from that. Any quick lunch ideas that I can leave in the work fridge or whip up at work? I don't like chicken salad or tuna salad lol. I LOVE hummus but not sure how to incorporate that for lunch. Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    What about a turkey sandwich with your salad? Or leftovers from dinner the night before?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You can use hummus to dip fresh veggies and crackers in. I'm a fan of the Crunchmaster seed crackers because there is good crunch and effort to eat them. Sometimes I just do some grilled chicken bits with fresh veggies, laughing cow cheese, crackers, and a piece of fruit. Nothing too crazy and very easy to assemble. I like to dip my chicken in BBQ sauce or Bolthouse dressing.

I also like to use sandwich thins/bagel thins to make a sandwich. You could spread hummus and fresh veggies on it along with a meat of your choice. That's also pretty easy to throw together.
  • alkight84
    alkight84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Noosh if we have leftovers I take them but we tend to either eat them for dinner the next night or don't have enough LOL
    Thanks Fit! I forgot I have some grilled chicken in the freezer! I have some broccoli too I believe. Thanks so much!
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I make what I call a "Southeast burrito". It's a shredded skinless chicken breast (precooked at home), canned corn (rinsed & precooked at home), low sodium black beans (rinsed & precooked at home), Mexican style cheese and low fat sour cream in a tortilla. I make 4-5 servings out of each can of corn & beans. You can of course add pico de gallo, queso, or whatever else you like in a wrap.
    At work I microwave the chicken, corn and beans for 90 seconds, then the tortilla for 15 seconds, then assemble the wrap. I keep disposable plates in my desk. It's a quick, simple, no utensils needed meal I can (mostly) cleanly eat at my desk.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love hummus too! I’ve been mixing my hummus in with a can of tuna with chopped onions and pepper and using that as a kind of dip for vegetables. Or I’ll make a bunch of Greek yogurt with blueberries, cinnamon, chia seeds and peanuts and have a few containers of that ready to go.
  • Jennymarie57
    Jennymarie57 Posts: 57 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I do a roasted veggie mix that I pull from daily to bring in..add it to pasta, quinoa, or rice..I also do lots of hardboiled eggs..Pita and cucs, feta, Kalamata olives would go great with the hummus...
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I love a pita filled with chicken, hummus, and Israeli salad.

When I’d have this, I’d make up a big batch of the salad so I could quickly grab it over the next few days. (I left out the lemon until using a wedge when serving. That kept the veg from breaking down. Or I’d skip the lemon and use a little balsamic vinegar when serving.) The chicken would usually be leftover boneless skinless chicken breast that had been in a simple lemon and olive oil marinade (with some fav spices).

If you made this, I’d bring the salad and chicken in a container and the hummus in its own, and then add it to the bread right before eating it.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been doing instant oatmeal with chia seeds, slivered almonds, and wheat germ added. It's easy to do at work as you just need water and a microwave. I find it very quick, easy, tasty, and filling :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Hummus and veggie sandwiches. Keep the hummus and veggies in your fridge at work, assuming no one is going to have a problem with that, and bring the bread from home or keep a loaf at your desk. Assemble the sandwich right before eating. You can also bring seasoned tofu/cooked chicken if you want more protein.