Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @jecky74 Congrats on your hurdle.

Don't let those of us with an allowance influence you. For some people the answer really is never again and the answer to that is a question only you can answer. I have a long history of moderation so I am hoping that I can fully restore that but I am a work in progress and I don't have any real answers right now. I am also trying to lose weight and weekly seems too much but I am not ready for monthly yet (I think). In some ways I feel like I am Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors trying to shrink the alien plant back down to a manageable size.

Crap, now I am going to be singing "Suddenly Seymour" for the rest of the day.

LOL. Great analogy...and thanks for the ear worm!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!! I haven't posted in a while. I've been busy. I have been staying pretty good with one slip up this month. I am trying to see if I can just stick to drinking one day out of the week like a Friday or Saturday and limit to just 2-3 drinks in that one evening. Looks like everyone is doing well.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    Options
    kali31337 wrote: »
    I attempted to do a dry April but ended up having a couple of drinks over the weekend (blaming the beautiful weather and an outdoor get together). I'm not super unhappy about it as I haven't had one since I even avoided the glass of wine I so desperately wanted last night after a stressful day at work. This attempt has made me realize how much I used to drink and even though I may slip up, any effort is better than none. I don't ever expect to not drink but definitely need to slow my quantity down.

You make good points! I'm not quitting but 95 percent of the time I won't drink.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies - thanks so much for the great thoughts.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @kittybenn Ahhh, I'm so sorry you feel badly. We all do this kind of thing one time or another. All of us. It can happen when we least expect it. You were in pain emotionally and I think when we are hurting so badly, we have to numb ourselves, so you did. One bad day doesn't discount months of hard work and great progress.
    I know it's easy to feel guilty and even mad at yourself, but like you would say to us, it's time to look froward til tomorrow. You will feel so much better. Sending you a big hug. Now, you know your triggers, in a way, you are better for it. Live and learn:) xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!!! I haven't posted in a while. I've been busy. I have been staying pretty good with one slip up this month. I am trying to see if I can just stick to drinking one day out of the week like a Friday or Saturday and limit to just 2-3 drinks in that one evening. Looks like everyone is doing well.

Good to hear from you! Sounds like all is well. One slip up is not bad at all. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Hi you all!
    I haven't been here on this thread for quite a while. I have been busy with learning to play the guitar and gardening. I enjoy exercise and lost 36 lbs. I am enjoying life so much more these days; these sober days. It has been since last Christmas that I have had a drink; which was most likely about a bottle and a half, or more, of wine.
    This thread was definitely part of my recovery process, it was so supportive. I also should give some credit to The books; This Naked Mind, Blackout, and The Alcoholism & Addiction Cure....in that order...I was deciding to just slow down at first, but found out that my body was addicted to alcohol. I haven't had a drink since Christmas and I am so so grateful for my new life. What a wonderful new life I have.....I pray that this message somehow encourages one of you on a new path in your life also. Blessings. :)

You are inspiring! I love hearing how much better life is for you. That's a lot of weight loss! I'm so happy for you! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @kittybenn Between the alcohol and the salty snacks you are retaining extra water weight not fat so you can let that one go. In about 4 days you will be leveled out again especially if you eat potassium rich foods.

I do this thing, and it is probably stupid, but I don't get mad at myself. I get disappointed at past me for making bad choices as though it were another person. I don't want his mistakes to be my mistakes. In a way it is true because we all start the new day with fresh possibilities and sometimes headaches and fresh possibilities. I think it kind of helps me from being too hard on myself which never really helps. That is why I chose this screen name to remind myself that it is always a new day.

I didn't know what your screen name meant. That's wonderful! I love that.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

If your name means what I think it does we are neighboring states and close to the same age. I am not sure what the "Julie" part stands for. Do you like to julienne vegetables?
  • RubyRed427
    Options

If your name means what I think it does we are neighboring states and close to the same age. I am not sure what the "Julie" part stands for. Do you like to julienne vegetables?

Yes born in '69. Julie is my name and A is middle initial. L is last initial. I chose the username long ago, but I wish I chose a better one like yours. That's so creative. Xo
  • 23wife
    23wife Posts: 57 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm in! I've come to realize that I have a drink after a stressful day ... during a fun afternoon ...at the end of a hard day ... etc. You get the idea. It's become a crutch for me. It's something I need to work on and I want to cut back. A few months ago, I had a 30 day no-alcohol personal challenge and the first few days were harder than I thought they would be. By the end of it, I felt so much better and I had lost more weight than I previously had in a 30 day time frame, so it was a double-plus! It's become a habit to have a drink after a long day at work...so I think it's a good thing to do every once in awhile to "reset' myself - not only physically, but mentally and emotionally too.