Is being hungry every/most days an indication that you're in the right calorie deficit range?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Even at maintenance I get hungry days, only because I need to bank calories for the weekend. If my calories consist mostly of protein/fibre and fat then hunger stays at bay.
  • Sheluvsbread2much
    Sheluvsbread2much Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I was checking to see if I should just suck it up or not if I was feeling hungry at the end of the day (or whenever) but I will manage my proteins and definitely work to get more fiber in. I truly appreciate all of your comments.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Not from the kinds of foods I currently eat, but some foods do not fill me up no matter how much I eat of them, which is why I don't eat them much anymore!
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, OP. I have been tracking faithfully for almost four weeks, gone over my calorie limit a little bit three times, and I've gained weight (weight "gain" might have been water weight because the day before my last weigh-in I went way over on sodium and drank a gallon of water, plus a lot of tea and Diet Coke.) I am eating a LOT less than before I started MFP. I am hungry and dizzy often. I would call it hangry. Like I'm crabby most of the time, and I'm not usually crabby at all. I understand that many people underestimate their calorie intake and maybe I am, but I am surprised with how I feel.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I only feel hungry if I blow my calories during the day and have nothing for the evening. But for the most part I eat 6 times a day so I won't feel hungry and I make sure I eat a high protein diet to keep me satiated.
  • sgm1168
    sgm1168 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think it is really a matter of trial and error and very individual to everyone. That's a bit frustrating at times because we are so anxious to jump in and achieve our fitness goals. But if you look at this as a new lifestyle then you have all the time in the world and can enjoy the journey! I think you are doing great!
  • littlebear0121
    Options
    For those of you who don't get hungry and dizzy often, what is the percentage of protein you eat each day?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    For those of you who don't get hungry and dizzy often, what is the percentage of protein you eat each day?

Dieters need more protein than the RDA's. You should get .65-.85 grams per pound of ideal body weight (err towards the higher side if you're active) if you're dieting or are an older person. Both of these populations are at higher risk for muscle loss.

The current RDA's are only for sedentary individuals already at a healthy weight.

I should add that giving macros as percentages of one's intake is often not helpful information because it misses the context of their overall calorie limits and doesn't give you absolute numbers, which are important, especially when it comes down to nutritional requirements like adequate protein or fat. You should be hitting certain goals when it comes to those.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

For the last 7 days, I’m averaging 19% protein. For me, fat is more satiating, so I’ll include that number as well: 38%.

That said, I pay no attention to the numbers themselves. I don’t often eat carbs by themselves or as the dominant item in the meal, and my dairy is full-fat. That usually covers it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Being very hungry, being hungry all day, feeling light headed, dizzy are not really normal. Your calorie goal may be too aggressive.

If you feel slightly hungry sometimes and fine physically and losing at expected rate that isn't really concerning.
  • littlebear0121
    Options
    "Dieters need more protein than the RDA's. You should get .65-.85 grams per pound of ideal body weight (err towards the higher side if you're active) if you're dieting or are an older person. Both of these populations are at higher risk for muscle loss.

The current RDA's are only for sedentary individuals already at a healthy weight.

I should add that giving macros as percentages of one's intake is often not helpful information because it misses the context of their overall calorie limits and doesn't give you absolute numbers, which are important, especially when it comes down to nutritional requirements like adequate protein or fat. You should be hitting certain goals when it comes to those."

Thank you for this, GottaBurnEm... Very helpful. I'm not older, but am dieting and active (I exercise 6 or 7 days a week.) Right now I weigh 164 and my goal is 130. However, 145 would be a healthy weight for my height, so I'm basing my protein total on that for now. I might get to that weight and decide I like it. Anyway, I'm going to try to eat 123 grams of protein per day and see if that helps with the satiety and dizziness. Thanks for reminding me that the percentage isn't as helpful as the absolute number--that makes sense.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    "Dieters need more protein than the RDA's. You should get .65-.85 grams per pound of ideal body weight (err towards the higher side if you're active) if you're dieting or are an older person. Both of these populations are at higher risk for muscle loss.

I should add that giving macros as percentages of one's intake is often not helpful information because it misses the context of their overall calorie limits and doesn't give you absolute numbers, which are important, especially when it comes down to nutritional requirements like adequate protein or fat. You should be hitting certain goals when it comes to those."

Thank you for this, GottaBurnEm... Very helpful. I'm not older, but am dieting and active (I exercise 6 or 7 days a week.) Right now I weigh 164 and my goal is 130. However, 145 would be a healthy weight for my height, so I'm basing my protein total on that for now. I might get to that weight and decide I like it. Anyway, I'm going to try to eat 123 grams of protein per day and see if that helps with the satiety and dizziness. Thanks for reminding me that the percentage isn't as helpful as the absolute number--that makes sense.

How many calories are you eating, and how much weight are you losing per week? Occasionally hungry is normal. Dizzy is another story.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As an aside: A while back, there was a "10 veggie/fruit servings daily" challenge (80g servings). Some of the participants reported suddenly being so satiated they couldn't hit a calorie goal that previously had been difficult to stay within.

Since the challenge was also kind of fun, some of you who are feeling hungry might want to try it as a variant on "get more fiber". ;)

One caution: If you're not eating many veggies now, it's a good plan to ramp up the servings slowly, over a couple of weeks, say; to drink adequate (not excessive) water or equivalent; and to get enough fat (hit your goal) alongside, or you may see . . . temporary unpleasant consequences. ;)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521320/10-a-day-800g-veggie-fruit-challenge-participants-check-in
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Hungry near meal times = okay

I don't enjoy being hungry all day. For me, if I'm hungry all day, I've not eaten enough calories. 176# lost & weight/measure my food if that's got any pull.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have been accurately weighing and measuring your food and losing weight as a result, do you feel hungry throughout the day or do you feel satisfied? I'm wondering on days I may feel hungry or light headed, is it normal? Par for the course? Or should I up my calories? If I'm not hungry, I think I must be eating too much. I've been hitting my calorie goals and feeling fine? Is that fine???

I like feeling pretty satisfied and I still lose weight maybe not as quickly but it comes off.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The lower the calorie level I'm eating, the more influential what I'm eating will be on satiety. When I'm eating at maintenance, I don't need to pay much attention to macros for satiety, although I do still keep certain habits in place that help my energy feel more steady or don't trigger mindless overeating for me. Still, my maintenance level is the level of calories that I intuitively eat and feel full, so no need for extra planning. I'll feel hungry right before a meal, but that's it.

Once I create a deficit though, I need to plan what I'll eat bc even a small deficit (say, 200 calories) and my body will be more susceptible to hunger. If I'm careful with what I eat, then it'll just be a little extra hunger or even no more than usual.

For me, eating small frequent "meals," so long as those meals are good sources of protein, fat, or fiber, is the easiest way to keep hunger at bay. I'll usually not even be hungry at eating time, or only the tiniest bit. I prefer to be hungry when I eat though, so I actually like this method the least!

For my schedule and my own preferences, I like to eat less frequently but bigger meals. I've found that I can generally get a little over an hour of satiety out of every 80 or so calories (so long as I'm eating that mix of macros and fiber mentioned above). So if I eat too little at my "big" meal or push the wait time between meals too long, then I get hungry.

A lot of this will be experimenting and finding what works best for you. But no, you definitely don't need to be very hungry when eating at a deficit, but it can easily happen until you find the timing and types of foods that work best for you. If you're hitting your calorie goals and feeling fine, then it sounds like you've already found what you need for satiety! :) Are you losing at your expected rate?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Feeling light-headed or nauseous could easily be a sign of low blood sugar which is something that should be checked by a doctor right away. It is something that usually can be managed with proper diet but it should be under a doctor's care.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Feeling light-headed or nauseous could easily be a sign of low blood sugar which is something that should be checked by a doctor right away. It is something that usually can be managed with proper diet but it should be under a doctor's care.

I suffer with low blood sugar on occasions, how often would it need to occur to visit a doctor?
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Feeling hungry isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of calories consumed. You can easily eat a lot of calories worth of food that doesn't make you feel full. You can also eat large quantities of low-calorie foods and feel full without meeting your calorie goal.

Feeling full is not an indication of not being hungry though, you can be full but hungry at the same time.