Lost 5lbs in 48 hrs - Intermittent Fasting

Options

Replies

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Personally, I am so active from 6 am until late at night I have to eat breakfast. I can't function mentally. I have to fuel my body. But then again, by 3 pm I already have over 10k steps on average. I work in a busy hospital in Chicago as an X ray tech.
    People who are less active with more sedentary lifestyles, office jobs, they can probably skip eating breakfast, lunch etc and do just fine. I probably would too. I eat a pretty good but not heavy breakfast. Usually around 400 calories. Then a small salad for lunch around 350 calories. Then in the evening I eat the bulk of my calories.saving the best for last!
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Has anyone experienced this?

I have been consistently losing weight (2lbs/week) over the last three months, and yesterday I began intermittent fasting 16/8.

At my weigh in yesterday I had lost 3lbs, and today another 2lbs.

The only change to my routine was limiting my food intake to that 8 hour block, I have even been eating more than my avg caloric intake these last few days.

Has anyone experience similar effects with intermittent fasting?

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

It's mainly water weight and sodium at this point. You will only see the effects of fat loss long term...I just hope you don't fast more than 48 hours per week and that you still intake the necessary calories for you to lose weight at a decent pace or else you will be playing with fire.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »
    Personally, I am so active from 6 am until late at night I have to eat breakfast. I can't function mentally. I have to fuel my body. But then again, by 3 pm I already have over 10k steps on average. I work in a busy hospital in Chicago as an X ray tech.
    People who are less active with more sedentary lifestyles, office jobs, they can probably skip eating breakfast, lunch etc and do just fine. I probably would too. I eat a pretty good but not heavy breakfast. Usually around 400 calories. Then a small salad for lunch around 350 calories. Then in the evening I eat the bulk of my calories.saving the best for last!

I have 25K steps before I eat my first bite of food most days. It's all what you're used to.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »

I have 25K steps before I eat my first bite of food most days. It's all what you're used to.

I could never do that..lol..I wish.
    It would save me money...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    16 oz water weighs about 1 lb.

I know from experience that my water weight fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day depending on activity. If I run a long cardio session this may be >5lbs just through exhaled vapor and sweat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    So Intermittent fasting basically is I can eat anything as long as it’s in my window meal? I can eat burger, cheesecake, etc as long as I’m eating only for 8hrs a day? I don’t think it’s going to work unless you’re obese/ overweight. I still believe in calorie deficit diet instead of this.

You misunderstand how intermittent fasting works. Calories still matter, the same as they do on any diet, macro combination or eating schedule. Intermittent fasting simply helps some people with satiety and adherence by limiting their intake to an arbitrary timeframe (4 hrs, 8 hrs, 10 hrs, etc.).

If you eat at a caloric surplus, you'll still gain weight no matter how many hours of the day you do it in. And if you eat at a deficit, you won't lose any more weight eating those calories in 8 hours than you would if you ate them in 10, 12, 16, 18 or 20 hours. There's nothing magic about intermittent fasting that allows it to supersede the laws of energy balance (despite some of the mystical magical claims of wizardry because it's oh so trendy right now).
  • eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So Intermittent fasting basically is I can eat anything as long as it’s in my window meal? I can eat burger, cheesecake, etc as long as I’m eating only for 8hrs a day? I don’t think it’s going to work unless you’re obese/ overweight. I still believe in calorie deficit diet instead of this.

You misunderstand how intermittent fasting works. Calories still matter, the same as they do on any diet, macro combination or eating schedule. Intermittent fasting simply helps some people with satiety and adherence by limiting their intake to an arbitrary timeframe (4 hrs, 8 hrs, 10 hrs, etc.).

If you eat at a caloric surplus, you'll still gain weight no matter how many hours of the day you do it in. And if you eat at a deficit, you won't lose any more weight eating those calories in 8 hours than you would if you ate them in 10, 12, 16, 18 or 20 hours. There's nothing magic about intermittent fasting that allows it to supersede the laws of energy balance (despite some of the mystical magical claims of wizardry because it's oh so trendy right now).

There is no detailed information about limiting the amount of calories in Intermittent fasting except for the hours.
    Thanks for the information.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

There is no detailed information about limiting the amount of calories in Intermittent fasting except for the hours.

That's because they assume you would automatically reduce the amount you eat daily because you don't have plenty of time to eat it, which can be true for some, but a gross over-generalized assumption. Many people are quite capable of overeating with a shorter eating time frame.
  • katie1234
    katie1234 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it similar. I haven't made a concious decision to keep my food to a 16/8 schedule but it's been working out that way recently - breakfast at around 9.30 and dinner just after 5. I've been drinking lots of water and tea, walking lots and eating the bare minimum of calories (around 1,200) and it's having a pretty dramatic effect. Some of it might come back on as part of a normal wax and wane cycle, but I don't think it all will.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

That's because they assume you would automatically reduce the amount you eat daily because you don't have plenty of time to eat it, which can be true for some, but a gross over-generalized assumption. Many people are quite capable of overeating with a shorter eating time frame.

It's certainly not automatic. I do IF most of the time, and I have certainly proven that there can days (many) where I can overeat inside of my eating window. It has to fit you and you have to have a good idea why you are doing it. If you overeat because you are feeling (falsely) extra-hungry, then IF is probably not for you. If you like bigger portions (like me), then IF may work for you. Personally I found that eating 5-6 small meals per day never really was satiating enough, even though it worked. Eating 2 meals with larger portions and a snack in the eating window works better.

It is not magic. But it can help for some. You still have to actively manage your intake.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I suppose that would depend upon where you look for information about intermittent fasting. There are a lot of woo sites that are too busy extolling all the magical, miraculous properties of IF to provide any actual useful information about how to successfully utilize it for weight loss.
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Maybe you had a whoosh. Where your cells released water they have been holding onto. The change of eating possibly could have triggered it.
  • suziemania26
    suziemania26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 9lbs last week (May 12-19, 2018). I did Tae Bo for 30 mins everyday and count calories while in Intermittent Fasting (16:8). Can someone enlighten me? I think its too fast.