Gained it all back ...

Options
2»

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    To be honest, most people at the gym probably don't notice anyone else they are busy doing their own thing.

What is your alternative, do nothing about your fitness and continue to pay for a contract you're not using?

Rather than trying to dive head first into healthy eating (healthy is balanced and should work around life), maybe just start with logging everything you're eating at the moment accurately, then you can gradually progress towards a deficit and making better choices for nutrition and satiety.

The best solution, in my opinion, to avoid emotional eating is to find something else to do that helps you de-stress, an active hobby or something that just keeps you busy and away from the fridge. It might not work 100% of the time but it's better than not at all. For some people that could be things like knitting, adult colouring books, a home workout video, going for a walk, gardening, etc.

You've done it before, you can do it again, have a little faith in yourself.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    you havent been to that gym in 6 months ??? .... people wont remember you from 6 months ago. Without meaning to make you sound insignificant, but you are just one face in thousands that people see every day of there lives so unless 6 months ago you did an improptu gangnam style dance in the squat rack, I dont think anyone will (1) notice you (2) remember you (3) remember what you looked like before if they remember you at all

Its all in your head ... be brave !
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'd say forget the gym for a few weeks since it's stressing you out. Pick one habit to work on, just one, and make sure you can do it every day for a week so you remember what success feels like - it could be drinking enough water, tracking all your food (without necessarily going for a deficit or meeting your macros), or packing a snack you feel good about eating at work instead of whatever crazy stuff is floating around the office. Then add another small habit or two next week.
    Carve out a little time to walk outside or do a quick, fun exercise video a few times a week. When you start to get that motivation back, start meal prepping one simple meal that fits your macros (if that's still your plan) in a few weeks, or make extra portions of dinner to have on hand. After you get momentum going, you can start going back to the gym.

You know how to lose weight, but you don't have to go all or nothing like flipping a switch while you're in panic. Motivation comes and goes, but building strong habits can get you through the *kitten* life throws at you. And help you rebound if you get to a place again in the future where you feel overwhelmed.
  • Ilovecookies2001
    Ilovecookies2001 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been a yo-yo dieter for a lot of years and everytime I lose I gain it back with a few extra pounds. I'm back again to try this. I lost 40 lbs 2 years ago (my goal for my birthday that year) by going to the gym and watching calories. I see someone was surprised you gained it back so fast, but I did too. I gained all 40lbs back and more in 4 mths. (I thinks that's due to my all or nothing additude (which I have to get rid of) I can't afford to go to the gym this time so I'm going to start walking and hopefully lose again and keep it off for good. I wish I could give you an answer, but I'm looking for answers too, especially on how to keep it off.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    ^^ I am also shocked that you and the OP gained so much weight in just a few months. Did you and/or the OP lose the initial weight very quickly? You would have to eat a lot of extra calories every day to gain 10 lbs. in a month. I could see if someone had a very agressive deficit (more than 2lbs. per week) and eating under 1200 calories, that this could happen. One could lose 40 lbs. in 4 months but the hormones would hit back as soon as you were unable to control the eating. (which happens in times of stress) I'm no expert, but I would recommend that you start with a small deficit of no larger than 500 calories, meaning if your TDEE, is 2000, that you eat no less than 1500 calories, (or set up on MFP to lose .5-1 lb. per week) and take it slowly.

I've lost 43 lbs. since July 2017, and I can't imagine that I would regain them in 4 months. I plan to track for the rest of my life, but even if I couldn't, I now mentally think about how much I'm supposed to be eating in terms of calories and make decisions from that. I did not do this before tracking on MFP--. It is much easier for me to just track on MFP, but I think I would be able to hold back (unless something truly traumatic happened in my life) because I have learned something over the last 8 months that I've been dieting.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    ... i'm ashamed too. I feel like everyone will notice that I put the weight back on and judge me. ... I just feel so lazy and unmotivated. ... I just feel so crappy that all I want to do is eat junk to make me feel better...

What we think about food, eating, and our weight is the deciding factor between success and failure. It's a cognitive problem, in other words - not just a matter of physics. I suggest getting a copy of Beck Diet Solution or using the resources on the sites here:

http://diet.beckinstitute.org
    https://beckdietsolution.wordpress.com

This is a cognitive behavioral approach to weight management. You still have to manage your input, but CBT will help you manage the thoughts that are sabotaging your efforts.

By the way, you don't need to exercise to lose weight.
  • rimir74
    rimir74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    By the way, you don't need to exercise to lose weight.

This. Yes. I've not exercised in 4 months due to issues I have with my own thoughts as well. But I'm maintaining my weight by tracking meals on MFP and consuming exactly my TDEE.

Back when I needed to lose weight, it was also mostly through tracking and eating at a manageable/ decent calorie deficit - with minimal or no exercise

• Ilovecookies2001
    Ilovecookies2001 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    ^^ I am also shocked that you and the OP gained so much weight in just a few months. Did you and/or the OP lose the initial weight very quickly? You would have to eat a lot of extra calories every day to gain 10 lbs. in a month. I could see if someone had a very agressive deficit (more than 2lbs. per week) and eating under 1200 calories, that this could happen. One could lose 40 lbs. in 4 months but the hormones would hit back as soon as you were unable to control the eating. (which happens in times of stress) I'm no expert, but I would recommend that you start with a small deficit of no larger than 500 calories, meaning if your TDEE, is 2000, that you eat no less than 1500 calories, (or set up on MFP to lose .5-1 lb. per week) and take it slowly.

I've lost 43 lbs. since July 2017, and I can't imagine that I would regain them in 4 months. I plan to track for the rest of my life, but even if I couldn't, I now mentally think about how much I'm supposed to be eating in terms of calories and make decisions from that. I did not do this before tracking on MFP--. It is much easier for me to just track on MFP, but I think I would be able to hold back (unless something truly traumatic happened in my life) because I have learned something over the last 8 months that I've been dieting.

It took me about 4 1/2 mths to lose the 40lbs I exercised and tried to keep my net calories around 1200 -1400. I met my goal for Aug. (my birthday) and around Thanksgiving I started my old eating habits and by March gained it all back plus some. I am a junk food junky and don't eat most veggies and keeping a healthy diet is really hard for me.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It is best to concentrate on doing the right things, rather than the results. If we do the right things each day the results will take care of themselves. I have two calendars that I am keeping, one for eating right and the other for exercise. The morning after I complete a successful day, I ‘X’ out the previous day. I am aiming for a complete month with every day ‘X’d out on both calendars. I keep them in a very prominent place so I see them whenever I need a little motivation. Yours is a familiar story. I’ve been fighting this fight my entire life. Good luck to us both!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »

It took me about 4 1/2 mths to lose the 40lbs I exercised and tried to keep my net calories around 1200 -1400. I met my goal for Aug. (my birthday) and around Thanksgiving I started my old eating habits and by March gained it all back plus some. I am a junk food junky and don't eat most veggies and keeping a healthy diet is really hard for me.

That's really fast. You lost about 10 lbs. per month, or 2lbs. per week. Are you going to try again? As people say on MFP, you don't have to eat healthy to lose, you just have to eat in a deficit. When you maintain you need to know how many calories you have and don't go over. (Easier said than done of course).
  • JaiNicole7
    JaiNicole7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am a member of one gym that has a separate but much smaller and less equipped room for women only, and I go in there vs the main gym to help alleviate some of my "gymtimidation" as there are maybe only 3-5 others in that room at a given time vs the main areas. I also did NOT join a gym with my friend, even though it has much more to offer in terms of amenities and it's open 24 hours-which is huge for me because I work nights. I did not feel comfortable joining because when I go with my friend to attend a class, there are so many fit people there-I don't see many people who are just starting their journey, so I feel out of place, and think to myself "I'll join there once I'm closer to my goals". Of course I shouldn't think this way, but I do. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone in how you feel.
  • meleileen
    meleileen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You sound like me! I lost 50 but gained back 80. Ugh. Don’t feel ashamed to go to the gym....that’s what it’s there for. Buy yourself a cute gym outfit and go. I know, easier said than done.
  • tasteofvanilla_
    tasteofvanilla_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people can relate, including myself! If you can do it once, you can do it again! Start slow and try different approaches until you find one that works for you! I restarted by drinking a lot of water. Then cutting fast food. Then walking at the park/workouts at home by watching YouTube. It’s definitely a journey that is different for everyone and not a one way road! Best wishes! ✌
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I once lost 50 pounds in 2015 and slowly regained all of it back. It was between eating like an @$$hole and powerlifting, plus being derailed from a fractured foot. I used to be a distance runner/OCR competitor as well as a novice powerlifter, sitting nicely around 175.

Since I get phantom pains in my foot whenever I attempt to run more than a mile, it heavily discourages me from running like I used to.

Due to a bad break-up, selling a house, legal stuff with a different ex, and a 9 month period of working 2 jobs 7 days a week, I went from the 190s in 2017 to 225 ish. I *kitten* hate myself for it.

I've done it once, I know I can do it again. I try and crash and burn so much when trying to go all in. At this rate, I'm just trying to log all my foods in and not care about macros, meal prepping, meal timing, etc. I slowly will add all that good stuff in.

Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • timothytclee
    timothytclee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get 1-2 friends to join you on your journey and keep each other motivated. it can be as simple as an SMS each day to say how you did and celebrate the little victories.