How many calories burned from strength training?

Options
Is there good tool to use to estimate how may calories you burned during strength training? Just wondering.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Nope nope. I've been strength training for years and have never once "counted calories" from lifting. If I'm doing some kind of circuit training with weights and it's actually cardio, sometimes I'll consider it a couple hundred calories.
  • pwhitechurch
    pwhitechurch Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Oh okay. I always do cardio, 600-800 calories a day. Just was wondering about the strength training, because it takes me about an hour to complete (continuous sweating). Even if it's 200, I would be happy. Just asking.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP lifting entry under cardio and it has worked for me. You could try it, if you are not getting the loss you anticipate cut the cals accordingly.

I found I was tired, burnt out fast, and slowly losing if I didn't eat lifting cals.

(Old, short, light, in maintenance, following AllPro)
  • pwhitechurch
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have lost, I still need to lose 20 more pounds to goal. I am following a personal training program offered at my gym, I am enjoying, but it's time consuming, just wanted to get some calories burned out of it. I am sweating throughout, feeling stronger too. Okay, I'll let the calorie thing go (so used to cardio workouts). I used to do strength training twice a week, now the program is putting me on for four days a week. Loving it.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I count about 2oo calories for every half hour. And I usually count less time than I lift. I drip sweat and eat accordingly on those days.
  • pwhitechurch
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll get over it. Cardio junkie for a while.
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll get over it. Cardio junkie for a while.

I hear ya. It doesn’t seem fair that strength training feels like a real workout (bc it is!) and it makes you hungrier, but doesn’t affect the scale even close to the way that running 2-3 miles does. *tear*
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    The thing I've noticed with strength training, I notice more in the mirror than I do from cardio. Regardless of what people say or the calorie counters say or the scale says. When you are working your muscle properly they're getting pumped and full of water. You're naturally going to carry extra weight from that alone, which skews the scales upwards from say cardio. And you're muscles are pumped so it looks better right out of the gate. But I also feel like in my own personal fitness journey, that It always seems like I lose more BF% from lifting on a deficit than any other means I've tried. But I do cardio and combined with weights sometimes and a lot of total fitness routines with a lot of mobility stuff as well because as I get older I feel these are more and more important to my overall health and skill set. Its all good for us. All I know, is the calorie counter tells me walking my dog burns more calories than deadlifts. Which one makes the mirror better?
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I’m doing the stronglifts program and my Fitbit gives me about 2 calories per minute. I’m losing as expected based on my calorie intake/burn so for me this seems to be fairly accurate. I’m getting to the stage that the lifts are fairly heavy for me though so I’m waiting 2-3 mins between sets so there is a lot of waiting around.
  • simon_pickard
    simon_pickard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There are some Apple Watch apps that measure strength training well via heart rate. It's way less than you'd think.
    I burn about 250-300cals for a hard hours workout (active cals).

Then again most cardio workouts are reported incorrectly anyhow. Most show resting cals + active cals which is wrong. 800cals active from a cardio workout is VERY tough to do in an hour.
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    There are some Apple Watch apps that measure strength training well via heart rate. It's way less than you'd think.

Then again most cardio workouts are reported incorrectly anyhow. Most show resting cals + active cals which is wrong. 800cals active from a cardio workout is VERY tough to do in an hour.

I find the exact opposite to be true. My fitbit usually gives me about 100 cals every 10min of strength training which is high. My smart watch will give me even higher numbers, for 50 min workout I burn like 560 to 600 cals. I just assume those numbers need to be halved, and then I don't care. Because I aim for my MFP calorie goal of deficit at lightly active and basically ignore my weight lifting calories. I do like tracking them tho, I like to review my heart rate spikes and compare different workouts to see whats up.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I find the exact opposite to be true. My fitbit usually gives me about 100 cals every 10min of strength training which is high. My smart watch will give me even higher numbers, for 50 min workout I burn like 560 to 600 cals. I just assume those numbers need to be halved, and then I don't care. Because I aim for my MFP calorie goal of deficit at lightly active and basically ignore my weight lifting calories. I do like tracking them tho, I like to review my heart rate spikes and compare different workouts to see whats up.

Which Fitbit do you have? Are you using an integrated setting on it for weightlifting or are you just letting it read your heart rate?

@heybales can you add some insight here? I was pretty sure that Fitbit had updated their watches to use METs for strength training, not heartrates, and that's my experience with my Charge2.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I also just used the lifting under cardio which gives me about 150 calories for 30 minutes which always worked just fine and seems to be a completely reasonable estimate.

ETA: my Fitbit usually gives me somewhere between 130 and 170 for lifting...so in the ball park anyway.
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    I use the MFP lifting entry under cardio and it has worked for me. You could try it, if you are not getting the loss you anticipate cut the cals accordingly.

I found I was tired, burnt out fast, and slowly losing if I didn't eat lifting cals.

(Old, short, light, in maintenance, following AllPro)

^This. I tried not counting lifting calories and found it made my deficit too aggressive. The MFP numbers seemed to work just fine, and then Fitbit reworked their calculation for weights to be pretty spot on with what MFP calculates (Fitbit gives slightly less calories than MFP), so I just use the setting on my Fitbit to calculate it.

Really? I haven't used my fitbit in quite awhile I may have to try it again.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Very little: https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

30-minute strength training session burns an average of 90 calories (180 calories per hour) for a 125-pound person, 112 calories (224 calories per hour) for a 155-pound person and 133 calories (266 calories per hour) for a 185-pound person.

A study in 2014 by ASU tried to show that the calorie burn was higher - they used exercises like crunches, pushups and pullups in their study. However, nobody does these for 5 minutes straight let alone 30 minutes or an hour. These, along with most strength training lifts are done for only a few seconds at a time with much longer rests between those sets. It's like a football game... where the actual game might run over 3 hours the actual ball is only in play for about 10 of those minutes. ;)
  • mutantspicy
    Options

Which Fitbit do you have? Are you using an integrated setting on it for weightlifting or are you just letting it read your heart rate?

@heybales can you add some insight here? I was pretty sure that Fitbit had updated their watches to use METs for strength training, not heartrates, and that's my experience with my Charge2.

I was using a Fitbit Blaze, but I haven't used it in about a year. So if they updated the software, I wouldn't know. Anyway, I'm thinking I might dust it off and give it a whirl. Just to see the numbers. I've been using a Gear SmartWatch and UA Record, which uses primarily heart rate calorie estimation.
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Very little: https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

30-minute strength training session burns an average of 90 calories (180 calories per hour) for a 125-pound person, 112 calories (224 calories per hour) for a 155-pound person and 133 calories (266 calories per hour) for a 185-pound person.

A study in 2014 by ASU tried to show that the calorie burn was higher - they used exercises like crunches, pushups and pullups in their study. However, nobody does these for 5 minutes straight let alone 30 minutes or an hour. These, along with most strength training lifts are done for only a few seconds at a time with much longer rests between those sets. It's like a football game... where the actual game might run over 3 hours the actual ball is only in play for about 10 of those minutes. ;)

In your link there is significant difference between general weight lifting and vigorous weight lifting., which I've seen on other weight lifting calorie calculators as well. I'm not exactly sure what that means. But I'm thinking it has to do rest periods. If you are doing standard strength training where you lift big, then rest for 2mins between sets that makes sense. But if you are doing dynamic high volume sets with little or no rest between them, that's when the HRM calculators start giving you really inflated numbers. Like for instance if you do a 6 set pyramid with no breaks and then rest for a min. That's a lot different than resting for a min or two between each set. Long story short its not easy to guestimate calories from weightlifting.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

It's been infrequently enough I can't even remember which models are doing what now.

Because I did have someone given their detailed numbers like you did - and it did NOT appear to be using the MET method, though they could select Weights as the workout. It was well above, so still HR-based. But I can't recall the model.

But as mutantspicy mentions - perhaps it was a firmware update issue that would take care of it.

I did have someone else with Charge2 confirm what you saw, MET based for lifting. So perhaps it was first model with newer firmware.

What's newer than Charge2 at this point?

And original Charge allowed picking a specific workout too, right?
    Seems that could have a firmware update to use same method then.