Keto

Options
Anyone doing Keto? How's it going?

Replies

• kikina
    kikina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I keep going over on calories and fat so weight is slow thinking of eliminating my cheeses
  • derek_greer
    derek_greer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am, but sort of backed into it. I was substituting Soylent for 1-2 meals for a number of months and started getting concerned about the level of soy I was consuming so started looking for non-soy alternatives to Soylent. I ran across People Chow (a DIY Soylent recipe) which was modified into a low-carb version called Keto Chow which is now sold commercially. I bought a sample pack and once I started substituting a few meals a day I was basically almost on the keto diet already, so started making sure the meals I ate were also low-carb. I basically went into ketosis before I really even started getting serious with it since the meal replacements make it dead simple. I just started actually monitoring my calories and macro percentage intakes a few days ago, but I've lost about 7 lbs since starting keto. I was loosing weight already from being calorie deficit, but I had sort of plateaued.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    lost 100 lbs put 10 back on this winter so back to Keto for two months
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    lost 100 lbs put 10 back on this winter so back to Keto for two months

Congrats for losing 100 lbs! I assume you lost it doing keto.... how long did that take you to lose 100? Myself, I've only been doing keto for about 3 weeks now - but I've lost 13 lbs so far. I like that I'm not STARVING all of the time.....
  • carlyjround2
    carlyjround2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just started a few days ago, I really like the fact that I can eat REAL food and not starve.
  • kroldridge
    kroldridge Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How do you know if Keto is right for you? I have a history of diabetes in my family and I had gestational with both my pregnancies. (Doing my research and thought I would start here first--before I dive into books, etc.).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kroldridge wrote: »
    How do you know if Keto is right for you? I have a history of diabetes in my family and I had gestational with both my pregnancies. (Doing my research and thought I would start here first--before I dive into books, etc.).

If you have blood glucose or IR issues, then keto will probably help those issues. Eating a lot of carbs raises insulin and blood glucose. Limiting those foods also limits insulin needs and BG spikes.

It may also help people with cognition issues and brain injuries, as well as some with dementia. It can also be a supplemental cancer treatment for some cancers. It tends to improve most lipid panels and lowers BP too.

For weight loss, some find it reduces their appetite and cravings for carby food.

And some just love low carb foods.

If you fit into one of those slots. Then keto could work well for you. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just started a few days ago, I really like the fact that I can eat REAL food and not starve.

IME you can do that with many other ways of losing weight too.

That said, I think keto is a fine approach and if it's enjoyable for you, great. I did it briefly and liked it well enough, but prefer just low/moderate carbing.
  • kroldridge
    kroldridge Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great! Is there a good book I can purchase, where can I get started?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kroldridge wrote: »
    Great! Is there a good book I can purchase, where can I get started?

The Low Carber Daily MFP group has a HUGE list or resources for beginners in their stickies. It's a good group.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

For books, Keto Clarity is a very basic book for beginners. The Ketogenic Bible is very good, and I also like The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. Obesity Code is a low carb book with fasting designed for those with IR. Some really like his plan.