Kirkland Protein Bar Sale!

2»

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So I got my order of the Kirkland protein bars today. Tried the chocolate peanut butter one. They were already nice and soft from spending a couple days on a UPS truck and sitting on my front porch half the day in 80+ degree heat.

It tastes at least as good as any Quest bar I've had, macros are similar enough and even though they were warm and soft, nothing was melty or gooey (a kind of important thing when you live in the desert with several months of 100+ degree temps in the summer and are going to be taking these things along with you out in the heat). They taste good enough to be considered a 'treat' rather than something you choke down as quickly as possible, and are chewy enough to have some texture without feeling like you're biting into a block of hard rubber (I'm talking to you, Power Bars!).

I ordered chocolate peanut butter and a variety box of chocolate brownie and chocolate chip cookie dough. If the others are as good as the chocolate PB, I think we're going to get along just fine - and for less than half the price of Quest bars.
    (Disclaimer - I'm not a picky eater at all, so YMMV from the above.)

I have gotten harder batches before but you can just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds. I have even baked the brownie ones before and OMG they are soooooo good baked!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I eat them. They are less like the Pure Protein candy bar doppelgängers and more like a grainy chewy brick of dough that has been compressed by an angry elephant... but I find them palatable and filling. Goes well with the morning coffee. ;)

YES! I bought a box last weekend based on recommendations here and boy was I disappointed. The chocolate chip cookie dough left me with a sore jaw from chewing and chewing and chewing and CHEWING! I'm stuck with the big box but I will finish it. I just hope I don't need a trip the dentist before they're gone.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    So I got my order of the Kirkland protein bars today. Tried the chocolate peanut butter one. They were already nice and soft from spending a couple days on a UPS truck and sitting on my front porch half the day in 80+ degree heat.

It tastes at least as good as any Quest bar I've had, macros are similar enough and even though they were warm and soft, nothing was melty or gooey (a kind of important thing when you live in the desert with several months of 100+ degree temps in the summer and are going to be taking these things along with you out in the heat). They taste good enough to be considered a 'treat' rather than something you choke down as quickly as possible, and are chewy enough to have some texture without feeling like you're biting into a block of hard rubber (I'm talking to you, Power Bars!).

I ordered chocolate peanut butter and a variety box of chocolate brownie and chocolate chip cookie dough. If the others are as good as the chocolate PB, I think we're going to get along just fine - and for less than half the price of Quest bars.

The chocolate peanut butter imo is the best, then the cookie dough and finally the brownie. Like I said, you are NOT going to confuse one of these with a candy bar - but I like them for what they are. I really don't eat much until later in the day, but I do start my day with WPI (mixed with water) and then a couple of hours later a banana and one of these bars. It's done the trick on this cut and kept me from going crazy until lunch. I find it hard to get enough protein for this protocol I'm running anyhow and any good easy source is welcome.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I eat them. They are less like the Pure Protein candy bar doppelgängers and more like a grainy chewy brick of dough that has been compressed by an angry elephant... but I find them palatable and filling. Goes well with the morning coffee. ;)

YES! I bought a box last weekend based on recommendations here and boy was I disappointed. The chocolate chip cookie dough left me with a sore jaw from chewing and chewing and chewing and CHEWING! I'm stuck with the big box but I will finish it. I just hope I don't need a trip the dentist before they're gone.

Based on these reviews, I'm glad I didn't buy any.

You can call them candy bars, if you like, but the Pure Protein bars that I buy at Costco taste great, aren't hard as a rock, don't need to be heated up to become edible, cost less per bar than others at retail, contain 20-21g protein and only 3g sugar per bar in 180-200 cals. You also get 3 varieties in a box at Costco instead of just 2.

If you seen but haven't tried them yet, I suggest you do.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I bought these because of the sale price. Got the chcolate peanut butter/cinnamon roll mix. Only tried the peanut butter one so far. It's ok. I'll try the cinnamon roll one soon. The texture is just so so for me. I think I like the coated taste more like a candy bar bars. But then these Kirkland copycat quest bars have a lot of fiber.

I am a fan of the pure protein and premier protein as well. Pure protein I like the dark chocolate coconut, chocolate salted caramel, peanut butter caramel and s'mores. I buy the premier protein at BJs though because I like the flavor mix better. There it is dark chocolate almond, chocolate peanut butter and peanut butter crunch.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member

The chocolate peanut butter imo is the best, then the cookie dough and finally the brownie. Like I said, you are NOT going to confuse one of these with a candy bar - but I like them for what they are. I really don't eat much until later in the day, but I do start my day with WPI (mixed with water) and then a couple of hours later a banana and one of these bars. It's done the trick on this cut and kept me from going crazy until lunch. I find it hard to get enough protein for this protocol I'm running anyhow and any good easy source is welcome.

At the moment I think the peanut butter one is best - but I think it could be because it is new! I tend to flip flop on the cookie dough and brownie - for which one I like better.
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Sharon_C wrote: »

Based on these reviews, I'm glad I didn't buy any.

You can call them candy bars, if you like, but the Pure Protein bars that I buy at Costco taste great, aren't hard as a rock, don't need to be heated up to become edible, cost less per bar than others at retail, contain 20-21g protein and only 3g sugar per bar in 180-200 cals. You also get 3 varieties in a box at Costco instead of just 2.

If you seen but haven't tried them yet, I suggest you do.

I have tried the pure protein bars before and while I liked the taste - they gave me a tummy ache. :(
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    They have disappeared from ALL Costco stores in Canada so I find it particularly insulting that not only do the US stores have THREE extra flavours we don't... they also get a sale price AND we can't order them online for delivery to us (unless we use a US address and a forwarder).

I've been given mixed information about reasons for the recall/disappearance and frankly what I was told at the store level didn't pan out (i.e. was incorrect as it pertained to another company's products)

Customer service has not replied to my written inquiry via Costco.ca :disappointed:

From what I was able to find out at my local Costco, is that there was some sort of packaging/labelling issue, but they'll be restocking in the next few weeks. Not sure that I believe them, but am hopeful.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    They had samples today. I spit it out, rather than trying to account for it. It was mostly the texture that got to me.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    I bought these because of the sale price. Got the chcolate peanut butter/cinnamon roll mix. Only tried the peanut butter one so far. It's ok. I'll try the cinnamon roll one soon. The texture is just so so for me. I think I like the coated taste more like a candy bar bars. But then these Kirkland copycat quest bars have a lot of fiber.

I am a fan of the pure protein and premier protein as well. Pure protein I like the dark chocolate coconut, chocolate salted caramel, peanut butter caramel and s'mores. I buy the premier protein at BJs though because I like the flavor mix better. There it is dark chocolate almond, chocolate peanut butter and peanut butter crunch.

I like Pure Protein as well, but the Kirkland ones have 15 grams of fiber, which is an added bonus for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Having tried all 3 flavors now, they're as good or better than Quest bars in every flavor (at least for me) and similar in texture. Good enough, will order again.
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    After I saw this post I gave these a try. Really like the chocolate brownie and cookie dough flavors. Seriously, if I am short on protein at the end of the day this is my new go-to given the low calorie count and dessert-ish flavor. Super glad I tried them.
    Last night I gave the peanut butter chunk a try. I expected it to be my favorite flavor... but I didn't find a single chunk like it shows on the box. Normal?