Anybody using Smart Body Mass Index instead of BMI?

Options
I just happened to find this during a surf session and found it very interesting. I have laughed at BMI several times... touted as being better than Height/Weight Charts when it really is just converting those same Height/Weight charts to different numbers. True BMI can't be calculated that way... I was once measured with calipers by a College PE Instructor who was a body builder and the difference was amazing. My husband is elderly and weighs 155 at 5'6" and the charts say he's overweight... he's VERY thin, if he weren't so strong (not really muscular, just strong) he might even look frail. People are always commenting about there being "nothing to him" and the BMI charts say he's OVERWEIGHT? His doctor cautions him not to lose any weight. Anyway, the SBMI takes sex and age into account. I found it very interesting and wondered about others' thoughts.

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I would go with the Dr's opinion and warning to not lose any weight.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I still swear by the old pinch an inch method.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    At my age and weight/height, SBMI puts me at "optimal" and suggests focusing on fitness. Works for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly overweight by either of these measures, but I'm not fat...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think any chart is a guide and real world experience and health is more important than being a specific number.
    Based on my past experience the regular BMI is pretty accurate for me.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to body fat percentage rather than BMI. Many more people are overweight and obese in BF% even when at a normal weight. But for whatever reason doctors don't check for it, even though many "wellness screening" companies do.

And I'm aware that its hard to get a perfect reading with body fat analyzers and measurements, but its better than nothing. I check every year in my city for DEXA scans and this city still doesn't have a place for them.

BF% scales are usually $60+ and measuring tape is no more than a few dollars if anyone wants to try to track theirs. I use the WeightGurus scale, it can link to Fitbit, which links the BF% to MFP.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I am 5'5" and weigh as of today 154.5

I used to dismiss BMI but now when I am close to being less than a 25, which is the high normal, I look at myself in the mirror and think..yeah...that's about right. I am not skinny or thin. I am not fat either but I can affford to lose some more weight. Another 15 pounds would probably be good and easy enough for me to maintain.

People that are used to old me at 185 pounds thinks im "skinny"...but that's just becauce they are so used to me being bigger.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    BMI is one measure and should be taken in conrtext of clinical picture - ie seeing the patient.

Is obvious to any Dr, or indeed casual observer, that an elite body builder with a BMI of, say, 35, is not actually obese.
    Also was obvious that I, a middle aged woman, did not have a BMI of 28 because I was very muscular.

And we all know different demographics have slightly different healthy ranges - Asian people for instance are usually healthier at lower number.
    And young men can be healthy at around 27 or so - because they carry more muscle mass than general population.

So it seems smart BMI just factors these things into the reading. Nothing new there really.

Me personally - have BMI of 23 in standard measure. Given I am not an outlier to whom different to standard range would apply - no, I won't recalculate with smart BMI. What would be the point?
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    This chart tells me im at a good weight for my age/sex and that might be true. But it also tells me losing another 15 pounds wont benefit me anything.....hmmm...i dont know about that one.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Funny, but I actually used it to choose my goal weight just to have a number to aim for. I want to maintain overweight, and then someone mentioned SBMI. I played with the calculator and decided to set my goal weight to the highest "ideal" SBMI (39/70). It puts me at exactly 26.6 BMI which is overweight and sounds good to me. But no, I don't use it. I think regular BMI is good enough among other measurements and common sense.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    BMI is not meant to be used in place of good judgment in individual cases, it's a statistical tool for quickly identifying people who may be at risk so a second look can be taken.

In my case, BMI is very accurate - my health profile and ability to function change almost exactly at the dividing lines between categories. When I was morbidly obese I was too sick to function and couldn't easily walk any distance. Just regular obese, I could walk easily but not run. Overweight, I could run but not fast. Normal weight, I was much better at doing everything. And now that I am nearing the middle of normal weight I can see it's a good weight for me. When I was in college I was underweight, got sick easily, and was anemic.

But I am a white woman of slightly more than medium height and average bone structure - the charts were designed with people like me in mind. They don't work so well for everyone. My husband, according to his chart, was "overweight" when he was a skinny teenager in the Airborne. If he got down to "normal" weight he would be scrawny.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have often laughed about BMI to, all additional information helps of course and BMI only taking 2 variables into account is creating a very rough estimate. So by adding a little more you should get a slightly less rough estimate.
    I got 22,3 BMI and 34/70 SBMI so both put me at slightly under the middle of the healthy range so i guess it does no diffrence what i use atleast.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I put my numbers in, I’m currently 150 with a goal of 135. On BMI I’m 10 pounds overweight, on the smart version they tell me I’m at a good weight and losing further won’t benefit my health. I like the second answer better, but I can clearly see I need to plug along to my goal.
  • janalo55
    janalo55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wonder if those of you who say it made very little difference are in the mid-range age that BMI targets. At 63, there is a substantial difference in what it says I should weigh. Yes, I understand it is just a guideline and requires common sense to interpret. I have just always found it odd that BMI charts don't take sex into consideration, when commonly men have a higher muscle mass. I hadn't thought about the age change, although I knew if you still aimed for your goal weight when young, you would appear haggard at older ages.