Need Motivation

Options
I have been off and on this weight loss and better eating mission. I feel like I am not getting anywhere, I have no motivation what so ever. Feel free to add me and give me some tips please, I need to begin and live a healthier life style.

Replies

• ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Create mini goals, pick a day and get started.
  • monicaamy902
    monicaamy902 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    amara29, I have been there so many times! It's frustrating. Maybe look through the posts of people who are doing it with lots of success to get you motivated. If they can do it, so can you. Also, just take it one meal at a time, one decision at a time. Next meal or snack, make a good choice and start there. The fact that you are here is a start! You can do this!!
  • adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Just remember, this should be a lifestyle change that takes time. Baby steps, if it's getting difficult, perhaps you are trying too much too fast. Start with "low hanging fruit". Some examples include: drinking your calories, fats oils and dressings (a little bit goes a LONG way), sugar dense treats. I am not saying cut it all out, but if you go from two sodas per day to one, actually measure a single serving of oil instead of eyeballing (typically 3 or 4 servings), and saving your sugary treats to one at the end of the day, you are looking at a nice savings of upward 500 calories.

My advice:
    1. Low hanging fruit.
    2. Get a food scale, weigh and log what you CURRENTLY eat. This will be an eye opener that could open up a lot of opportunities for calorie savings.
    3. Figure our your TDEE, I like this website. Just set your calorie goals according to the maintenance calories it gives you. Adjust accordingly to get you into a calorie deficit. 500-1000 less per day is a good amount, which works out to 1-2 lbs per week, if you don't have a lot of weight to lose or find that 500-1000 is too much, you could even do 250 calories per day at 0.5 lbs per week.
    4. Don't pressure yourself into working out right away. Just observe what you are doing now, follow my #1 - #3 above, and once you are on a sustainable path you can start slowing adding some additional workouts in there.

You got this! Small steps to form habits you don't have to think about is where it's at! Next thing you know you're posting on the Success Stories page.
  • danae16
    danae16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I totally get this feeling. One of the things that I do is to tell myself that I don't need motivation, I need determination. Results come with consistency.

You can plan treats or have off days, but if you are mostly consistent you can do it. Also - self control is a muscle. So the more you stick to your plan, the easier is to stick to your plan. At least this is what I have found. I have weeks or weekends that are better than others, but for the most part I try to stick to my plan and eating habits. I don't skip a workout unless I'm sick or hurt. I may not want to drag my *kitten* out of bed but I do.

You can do this!!
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Motivation will not get you any where because motivation comes and goes DEDICATION is what will get you progress.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Motivation is what gets you started, but dedication is what keep you going. Most people do best focusing on one goal at a time. Do you think you should eat more veggies? Make that a goal.
  • amara29
    amara29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    amara29, I have been there so many times! It's frustrating. Maybe look through the posts of people who are doing it with lots of success to get you motivated. If they can do it, so can you. Also, just take it one meal at a time, one decision at a time. Next meal or snack, make a good choice and start there. The fact that you are here is a start! You can do this!!

Thank you! I have to remind myself what I am capable of even when I am frustrated! Thanks for the idea, looking through other's success stories is very motivating!
  • amara29
    Options
    Motivation is what gets you started, but dedication is what keep you going. Most people do best focusing on one goal at a time. Do you think you should eat more veggies? Make that a goal.

I agree! Dedication is what keeps us going for sure. I am going to eat more veggies, it will benefit me in many ways.
  • amara29
    Options
    danae16 wrote: »
    I totally get this feeling. One of the things that I do is to tell myself that I don't need motivation, I need determination. Results come with consistency.

You can plan treats or have off days, but if you are mostly consistent you can do it. Also - self control is a muscle. So the more you stick to your plan, the easier is to stick to your plan. At least this is what I have found. I have weeks or weekends that are better than others, but for the most part I try to stick to my plan and eating habits. I don't skip a workout unless I'm sick or hurt. I may not want to drag my *kitten* out of bed but I do.

You can do this!!

Thank you! I will make a plan and stick to it, determination is the key when I don't want to get out of bed early in the morning. How many days a week do you work out of tou don't mind me asking?
  • amara29
    Options
    adarbyem wrote: »
    Just remember, this should be a lifestyle change that takes time. Baby steps, if it's getting difficult, perhaps you are trying too much too fast. Start with "low hanging fruit". Some examples include: drinking your calories, fats oils and dressings (a little bit goes a LONG way), sugar dense treats. I am not saying cut it all out, but if you go from two sodas per day to one, actually measure a single serving of oil instead of eyeballing (typically 3 or 4 servings), and saving your sugary treats to one at the end of the day, you are looking at a nice savings of upward 500 calories.

My advice:
    1. Low hanging fruit.
    2. Get a food scale, weigh and log what you CURRENTLY eat. This will be an eye opener that could open up a lot of opportunities for calorie savings.
    3. Figure our your TDEE, I like this website. Just set your calorie goals according to the maintenance calories it gives you. Adjust accordingly to get you into a calorie deficit. 500-1000 less per day is a good amount, which works out to 1-2 lbs per week, if you don't have a lot of weight to lose or find that 500-1000 is too much, you could even do 250 calories per day at 0.5 lbs per week.
    4. Don't pressure yourself into working out right away. Just observe what you are doing now, follow my #1 - #3 above, and once you are on a sustainable path you can start slowing adding some additional workouts in there.

You got this! Small steps to form habits you don't have to think about is where it's at! Next thing you know you're posting on the Success Stories page.

Wow! Thank you! Great advice!! This sounds reasonable!