Struggle Bus with My Macros

Options
2»

Replies

• newshell_mom
    newshell_mom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I kinda feel over the place. I was honestly doing fine just counting my calories before! Maybe I should just go back to that. I eat healthy about 80% of the time, and workout 5 days a week. I think initially meeting with her seemed like a great idea and I lost 3lbs in a week (not healthy), but I was excited because I was getting closer to a goal, but I do want to still enjoy life too.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I kinda feel over the place. I was honestly doing fine just counting my calories before! Maybe I should just go back to that. I eat healthy about 80% of the time, and workout 5 days a week. I think initially meeting with her seemed like a great idea and I lost 3lbs in a week (not healthy), but I was excited because I was getting closer to a goal, but I do want to still enjoy life too.

Your 3 lbs initial loss was likely glycogen and water stores being dumped with so little sodium and carbs.

For myself, I'd probably stop seeing her. Prioritize protein to help spare your muscles as you lose your last little bit, then fill in the rest how you want. Maintain your deficit, and keep enjoying your life!
  • adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would call into question the credentials of anyone telling you to go gluten free or lactose free without a medical need for you to do so. All the people I know (well, the only 2 people I know) that are gluten free are gluten free because it could quite literally kill them. I think if you're going to be paying a professional for consulting your diet, you should seek out a registered dietician. Otherwise, it seems you'll find better advice here in these forums.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So basically OP, you're on the struggle bus because you have been given unnecessary hoops to jump through! I'd suggest a simpler plan:
    1. Set your goal to lose 0.5lbs per week.
    2. Log accurately and consistently.
    3. Get on a good progressive strength training program.
    4. To eat healthy, focus on eating a variety of nutritious food, and try to get at least 0.6g-0.8g of protein per lb of your goal body weight, 0.3g of fat per lb, and 25g of fiber daily.
    5. Remember that psychological health is important too, and sometimes that requires a doughnut or a glass of wine, and that's okay.
    6. Be patient, as losing the last 10 lbs and "firming up" takes serious time. That little bit of fat loss can hide behind water weight fluctuations on the scale.

Good luck!

^^ This is MUCH better advice than your nutrition consultant gave you.

And thanks, @kimny72 , because I really wanted to ask whether "struggle bus" was a thing the cool kids are saying now, or some weird auto-correct creation that I should be able to decipher into what was really intended.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options

It seems you already know the answer. You were doing fine just counting calories, why would you intentionally make things harder by following recommendations you don't need? You already know you shouldn't aim for rapid loss, so why not just stick to a modest deficit and eat in a way that better fits your goals and life? Weight loss doesn't have to equal suffering. You can and should enjoy life, too.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

It seems you already know the answer. You were doing fine just counting calories, why would you intentionally make things harder by following recommendations you don't need? You already know you shouldn't aim for rapid loss, so why not just stick to a modest deficit and eat in a way that better fits your goals and life? Weight loss doesn't have to equal suffering. You can and should enjoy life, too.
    "If it works, don't fix it!"
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Trying to lose about 10% body fat (insert tears). I've lost some weight but in looking at my macros daily, I am always off. I am working with a nutrition consultant that encourages, High Fat and Less Carbs, but my macros on MFP are calculated way differently. My consultant wants me to eat around 120 carbs daily, I feel like that is too low. I can never hit the numbers. Anyway, I am looking for ideas on high protein, low fat food ideas. I am always over on fat and never hit the mark with protein. The fats I am eating are healthy fats (most of the time)....avocado, salmon, eggs, coconut/coconut oil.

Thanks for your help!

If your consultant wants you on high fat, then why are you looking for low fat foods? Are you trying to follow the consultants advice, or MFPs recommendations? (Most people change the macro percentages that MFP defaults you to anyways, fyi)

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So basically OP, you're on the struggle bus because you have been given unnecessary hoops to jump through! I'd suggest a simpler plan:
    1. Set your goal to lose 0.5lbs per week.
    2. Log accurately and consistently.
    3. Get on a good progressive strength training program.
    4. To eat healthy, focus on eating a variety of nutritious food, and try to get at least 0.6g-0.8g of protein per lb of your goal body weight, 0.3g of fat per lb, and 25g of fiber daily.
    5. Remember that psychological health is important too, and sometimes that requires a doughnut or a glass of wine, and that's okay.
    6. Be patient, as losing the last 10 lbs and "firming up" takes serious time. That little bit of fat loss can hide behind water weight fluctuations on the scale.

Good luck!

And thanks, @kimny72 , because I really wanted to ask whether "struggle bus" was a thing the cool kids are saying now, or some weird auto-correct creation that I should be able to decipher into what was really intended.

I googled it :lol::lol::blush:
  • Psychopasta
    Psychopasta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey Newshell-Mom, I agree with Kinmy's advice. Weight loss isn't magic, it's just calories in should be less than calories out to lose weight. I think the default that MFP recommends is a great place to start. Fire that consultant! Maybe ask your doctor for his/her advice on nutrition if you want an expert?

Best of luck on the struggle bus anyway! The struggle is real!