100g of carbs for one meal

Options
First I want to say I don't think carbs are bad, I mean, they're my best friend when it comes to a workout, but do you think it could affect your health in any way to have too many at once? I can have up to 90-100g for breakfast, total I have 250-270 at the end of the day.

My diary is open.

I am 5'5-5'6, active-very active, 18, female. I am looking to maintain weight, was just curious if anyone ever had the same thing.

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    First I want to say I don't think carbs are bad, I mean, they're my best friend when it comes to a workout, but do you think it could affect your health in any way to have too many at once? I can have up to 90-100g for breakfast, total I have 250-270 at the end of the day.

My diary is open.

I am 5'5-5'6, active-very active, 18, female. I am looking to maintain weight, was just curious if anyone ever had the same thing.

Unless you have some allergy or adverse reaction to carbs, you're fine :) Many people find carbs satiating - it sounds like that works for you, so no worries!
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »

My diary is open.

I think it depends what those carbs are from. A big fruit salad/smoothie is also full of fiber and lots of nutrients. If you’re talking sugar coated “empty “ calorie foods and drinks then I would say yes.

Yep, I get all my carbs from grains/oats, fruits, and plain dairy and veggies. I avoid added sugars from cokes and stuff, it just makes my cravingd worse :).
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, it works!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    The only potential downsize I could see is that, over the short term, an especially carb-heavy meal/day could lead to greater fluctuations in scale weight (not necessarily body weight). So if you're a frequent weighter and are emotionally tied to the number on the scale, it could be harder on you in the short term. Long term it will make no difference. If you're overall carb intake is the same, it probably won't matter. But if it's something like a "cheat meal" that "spikes" carb intake from what would be your normal eating pattern, it could impact the number on the scale.

Does that make any sense? It was much more clear/concise in my head...
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    The only potential downsize I could see is that, over the short term, an especially carb-heavy meal/day could lead to greater fluctuations in scale weight (not necessarily body weight). So if you're a frequent weighter and are emotionally tied to the number on the scale, it could be harder on you in the short term. Long term it will make no difference. If you're overall carb intake is the same, it probably won't matter. But if it's something like a "cheat meal" that "spikes" carb intake from what would be your normal eating pattern, it could impact the number on the scale.

Does that make any sense? It was much more clear/concise in my head...

Sorry, I forgot about this thread! It does make since. I've had an ED in the past, so I only try weighing myself once every 2 weeks, and I keep the scale at someone else's house so when I spend the night I use it. I am recovered and am don't have an unhealthy relationship with body image, but just decided to give some background info on that.

The end of this week will be my next weigh in, and I've eaten quite a bit of sodium lately, so if I do see weight "gain" I'll know it's probably just water retention. I've also been eating a LOT more fruit XD They're so tasty
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i eat between 360 and 460g of carbs a day - so most of my meals are 100+g
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    That's not actually that many carbs. In a recent study of high carb versus low carb meals and how they affected the body, the "low" carb meal was 75g (which would put my diabetic blood glucose in the danger zone!) and the higher carb meal was IIRC 150g. If you are healthy and most of your carbs are slow digesting carbs such as fruit and grains, rather than soda, you should be fine.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Tbh unless you have a medical condition, most people (even though most people in us are technically overweight), they’re usually eating 100+ grams of carbs in a meal without even knowing it. When I’m bulking, i sometimes get in 300-400 in one meal if I’m behind on cals for the day
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i cant imagine eating that many carbs in a single meal lolol thats how many i average in a DAY

and its not for avoiding them purposely, but my ex and grandfather (who i cared for) were both diabetic, so i learned how to cook/ eat without many. the habit stuck. if i want something ill certainly have it, but i dont miss them as far as a 'filler' goes (which to me, is all they are now- though sometimes tasty ones LOLOL)