Confused. Paralysis by analysis. Paleo, calorie counting, Slimming World. Can't stick to one method

Options
LJay89
LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
So my heading is a summary of how I feel/always feel about fat loss and nutrition.

I get the fundamentals of nutrition and fat loss, eating at calorific deficit to lose fat, while lifting weights and visa versa for muscle gain. My problem is that I jump between plans, ways of doing things which ultimate leads me to not getting anywhere. After a few days of calorie counting for example, I will have one day where perhaps I have had a takeaway or something - which perhaps I cannot accurately log and I will start to think that I need another way of doing it - which leads me to think in terms of the quality of my food might be the way to go (Paleo hybrid including carbs such as rice/potatoes and dairy) ... rinse and repeat.

What can I do? I get so frustrated with myself.

Replies

• LJay89
    Options
    Thank you - I think I had a frustrated meltdown.
    Had a brownie at University which I have logged the best I can and weighed my salmon, pepper and new potatoes accurately.
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been at this a long time now and I enjoy experimenting with different woes, but I go into each new plan still mindful of my calorie intake/stay within my weight management calorie targets. Nothing wrong with trying new things (especially if a woe introduces you to new foods you haven't tried yet!), but make sure you always have the basics covered-CICO :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't stick to 'a' plan but take parts from plans that you like and find your own eating style. I mostly do meatless (for health reasons) but I don't call it vegetarian or vegan or whole food plant based etc. I'm just trying to eat more veges. If I want steak I will have steak, If I want fish I will have fish. I went a bit loopy trying to pick a plan and stick with it.... Find what works for you and it will be easier to sustain.

I agree with this completely. My style is a little different. I work in the occasional 'theme' week like going vegetarian. I like the challenge of eating a different way for a short amount of time. For me it is not necessary at all but I like doing it. I am not saying doing themes is right or wrong for the next person, it doesn't have to be.

That is one of the major things to figure out. It is not just about getting from one weight to another it is about doing things you LIKE along the way.
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Maybe don't stick to 'a' plan but take parts from plans that you like and find your own eating style. I mostly do meatless (for health reasons) but I don't call it vegetarian or vegan or whole food plant based etc. I'm just trying to eat more veges. If I want steak I will have steak, If I want fish I will have fish. I went a bit loopy trying to pick a plan and stick with it.... Find what works for you and it will be easier to sustain.

I agree with this completely. My style is a little different. I work in the occasional 'theme' week like going vegetarian. I like the challenge of eating a different way for a short amount of time. For me it is not necessary at all but I like doing it. I am not saying doing themes is right or wrong for the next person, it doesn't have to be.

That is one of the major things to figure out. It is not just about getting from one weight to another it is about doing things you LIKE along the way.

Love the idea of theme weeks!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @MerryMavis1 If you do one, first, let me know (if you want) and, second, be prepared to pull the ripcord and bail if it gets too hard. I had to bail on one of mine halfway through and return to normal dieting.

ETA: I see from above you have already experimented so you probably didn't need that second bit of advice.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ignore the diets, ‘diets’ come to an end, your working towards a lifestyle change.

You understand the mechanics of weight loss and it’s already been proven that it is as simple as calories in vs out. So just eat what you want in a way that keeps you to your goal, so log everything, and yes that really does mean everything.
    We all have bad days and that’s what the community is for, to help you out and support you on your journey.

You can do it.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Don't let perfectionism do you in.

On MFP it's based on calorie budgeting - it doesn't matter really in large part HOW you do it as long as you are eating sensibly. You can do it folded in with another type of diet (paleo, keto, vegan), but you don't have to. For some people diets with guidelines are really helpful, but for others it is not. If you're flitting from one diet philosophy to another, maybe it's because you don't really need a set of guidelines like that. All you need is to make sure your overall calories are under the limit.

It's entirely OK to go over once in a while on MFP, too - messing up one day doesn't mean you stop or give up. In fact, it is liberating to realize...holy cow it's OK! I don't have to be perfect to get to my goal!
  • LJay89
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I managed to calm down, log and go to the gym. I do just need to remind myself that it is the same principle fundementally.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Another tip that might help – – I used to "count calories" as they came throughout the day, but I always found myself going over my limit. Once I started pre-logging, that helped me to see where I could take something else out in case I eat something unexpectedly, like a brownie I wasn't planning on!

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

Log EVERYTHING.
    Don't JUST weigh (with a scale is best) everything you eat, also write why you are eating it (i.e, lunchtime, hungry, kind of bored, out with friends, watching tv) and how you are feeling right before, right after and an hour after (hungry, comfortable, normal, full, very full bloated, drowsy, OMG I am so damn sick of this crap I want to throw the whole plate out a window, etc).
    This gives you a baseline pattern for your normal habits and routine. From there, it's just a matter of experimenting. Are you very full after dinner? Cut back on a few things. Does lunch leave you bloated and gassy after an hour, try less or no mayo, and see if there's something you don't mind dropping each meal (fries, or cheese, or maybe only 2 tacos instead of 3).Are you starving an hour after dinner?Maybe more fats during.
    It's amazing how quickly these small and easily sustainable changes will add up to big calorie cuts. Only cut one or two things at a time, until they become habit instead if trying to do everything at once. That way they become individual habits instead of one big "diet".
    Break things down into individual behaviors and habits. Instead of looking at this as an all at once, or all or nothing proposition, find ways to break things down into smaller and more sustainable habits. That makes it much easier to pinpoint where something is not working, and fix it, rather than staring at the whole jumbled mess of NOT WORKING. Plus, when you do backslide, you are less likely to drop everything, just one or two habits, that can then be fixed again. Otherwise, trying to everything at once, means that you are likely to leave out something important (like weighing food), and pay excessive attention to things that aren't. (Like fiber drinks and vinegar)
    Don't demonize foods that don't actually make you feel bad. Obviously if you have food sensitivities avoid those things, but don't cut out all your favorite goodies because they are not "healthy". Think of your calories as a type of currency. You should purchase the nutrient rich stuff first, budget for regular treats, and don't waste any calories on stuff you hate, even if it is theoretically good for you.
  • TotalFitnessMindBodySoul
    Options
    I've been there! I'm "lifetime" through weight watchers, so I can track on their app for free... But sometimes the "healthy" foods that I like are soooo many points that it gets frustrating, so then I switch back to calories (mfp)... Then I want to drop a few pounds quickly so I'll do Paleo/Whole 30... It's a constant battle for me to just decide what I want to do! :s I was tracking points consistently, but now my 17 year old son is trying to lose 20# and using mfp, so I'm going to experiment with tracking here again. In the end I think I'll find some healthier options and we can root each other on.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I’m one of those people who likes to follow a plan but self sabotage myself when I deviate from it. Over the years I’ve learnt what kinds of food make me feel good and about those which don’t and I tend to try and stick to the stuff which makes me feel good. I’ve picked up various recipes from the various diets I’ve been on and generally what they all have in common is that they are fairly low in calories. I don’t mind mixing it up now.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think the switching back and forth comes from insecurity and fear of failure. I’m speaking from personal experience here. It freezes you in place and there is no way to move forward.

Imagine yourself in the middle of a busy intersection. Can you afford to reassess? Or is it better to get yourself across the intersection first?

There is also the tendency towards all or nothing thinking. A single brownie does not have the power to break a plan. It’s the daily decisions that do you in.

I suggest sticking to one plan (simplest is best) for at least three weeks. It is OK with that much time in to assess and readjust.