Lets talk about YOUR GYM

Options
13»

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    (Edited, for the record - I have had memberships at Lucille Roberts, David Barton, The New York Sports Club, and Blink. I have taken classes all over the city to try out different places.)

I like classes and I work full time so I need a lot of options open to me. I got myself an Equinox membership several years ago and have never looked back!

My health insurance pays for some of it, thankfully.

I'd be happy to treat you to a day pass if you'd like to try it out. Everyone likes the Equinox!!!
  • girlreadingbook
    girlreadingbook Posts: 22 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Nature, coastal bike lanes, along with podcasts and my own music are what make up my gym at present.

Not a gym person, but I quite like one gym in my city because it has a pool, sauna and steam room and it's located in a wonderful leafy setting. Major drawbacks are that their hours suck - open 7am - 11 pm on weekdays, and 8 - 6pm on Sat and Sun (!!!), classes are very limited, you can't avoid the TV screens and loud music, and the instructors and trainers do not inspire confidence. So quite sadly not of much use to me as it has distinct advantages and I would like to learn more about use of weights. Incidentally, I don't think I have ever seen women using the weights there. I like quiet spaces in gyms too - where you can withdraw and have a bit of privacy, and I have often thought that the entire experience would be transformed if classical music were played.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    We have a home gym and I love it! Treadmill, airdyne bike, elliptical, squat rack, free weights. My husband also has a pull up bar on the ceiling. 8rfqqrjkn0v4.jpg
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My gym/sewing room is my dining room. Treadmill in one corner, exercise mat in one corner, sewing table in the third corner, and the ironing board in the fourth. (We use the breakfast nook for meals and clear out the DR only when we're having a large gathering.) I do body weight exercises on the mat. Going to a separate building to work out doesn't fit with my schedule (though I used to enjoy it), so I do what I've got to do.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I pay a lot for a “fancy gym.” Group fitness is important to me, and this gym attracts the best Zumba instructors in the area. I also use this place as a place to make friends, so I’d find a home gym isolating. I tried cheaper gyms, but they didn’t have the high-quality classes I was looking for. But, that’s just me and what’s in my particular area—everyone is different.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    I use planet fitness. it's close by, open 24/7, and the only gym i can afford. It's my first gym, so i can't compare it to 24hr, but I do like it- there are a ton of treadmills and cardio machines, some free weights and a 30-minute strength training circuit. Nothing too fancy or complicated, just the basics, which is all i need really. I've never had to wait to use a machine- there's always plenty open. There's no zumba/spin/yoga/etc classes (i don't think?) but i'm fine with that. I have a Black Card membership, so i can also use the massage chairs and tanning beds. A lot of people diss PF because of the "lunk alarm"- but most of them are, y'know...lunks themselves.

I was with you until the lunks comment. Seriously?!
    I thinking she is saying that the people at PF are being hypocritical in failing to recognize the “lunk” in the mirror staring back at them.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I use planet fitness. it's close by, open 24/7, and the only gym i can afford. It's my first gym, so i can't compare it to 24hr, but I do like it- there are a ton of treadmills and cardio machines, some free weights and a 30-minute strength training circuit. Nothing too fancy or complicated, just the basics, which is all i need really. I've never had to wait to use a machine- there's always plenty open. There's no zumba/spin/yoga/etc classes (i don't think?) but i'm fine with that. I have a Black Card membership, so i can also use the massage chairs and tanning beds. A lot of people diss PF because of the "lunk alarm"- but most of them are, y'know...lunks themselves.

I thinking she is saying that the people at PF are being hypocritical in failing to recognize the “lunk” in the mirror staring back at them.

I'd like to think that too, but sounded to me like she meant the people on MFP who talk bad about PF. I hope you're right.
  • seat151
    seat151 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My gym has no lock in contract. It also has free wifi so I can watch you tube videos or live sport as I am working out. Its never too busy either so I have started to enjoy going. Open 24/7 as well so fits around my shift working.
  • shushu1433
    shushu1433 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love my local YMCA they actually mapped out a workout plan for me with weights and cardo. I can keep track of what I do and they give me a different workout plan each time I come in. You should look into that
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options

I'd like to think that too, but sounded to me like she meant the people on MFP who talk bad about PF. I hope you're right.

I suppose it could be read that way too after several readings.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    For us the best thing was to save up the money we would have spent on a gym membership and build a home gym in our garage. We have a squat cage, pulley machine, barbells and dumbells and that's all you really need.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I go to a local gym. I made the mistake of signing a contract before joining though and now I can't wait to leave. Parking is abysmal and it's insanely crowded. I can never do supersets properly because the second I leave the machine for my second exercise machine someone jumps on. Waiting for a squat rack is like a part time job. Super frustrating and gives me such anxiety lol. I do my best to just get into my workout and out of my mind so that's the only thing that gets me through it.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use Anytime fitness . My two main demands in a gym are small/not crowded and 24 hr access. I need a good mix of free weights and machines , but , even though I own my own , I love that mine also has yoga mats and foam rollers for stretching. The vibe of a small gym is relaxing to me and let's me work out much more effectively and enjoyably. If I was part of a large gym I don't think I'd go nearly as often because I hate when it's busy
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just a thought. If you have a college/university nearby, they sometimes allow people in the community to use their gym facilities. The one in my town has a punch card, so you just pay for when you go. I know they have classes, too.
  • michaelwyatt8262
    michaelwyatt8262 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do cardio at planet fitness. Lol. I’m so boring and basic
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I belong to Genesis athletic club. It's perfect for me. Plenty of free weights, machines & dumbells from 2.5 pounds to over 100. A lot of treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, stair climbers & rowing machines. They offer a lot of group classes (regular, boot camp style, spin & yoga), they have an area with 4 TRX spots & 4 heavy bags to punch, which is great for me. They have saunas but no hot tubs & really big locker room area.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I do cardio at planet fitness. Lol. I’m so boring and basic

I do strength training and cardio at planet fitness...I love this gym

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My area has the country's largest Anytime Fitness, so I loved that because it was really nice, and since my schedule is weird, the 24-hr availability was great. They also have national reciprocity, but not all of them are very nice. I also found it pricy at $45ish/month, plus you have to sign a contract.

I like my local rec center. It's cheaper (I get a student discount), and they have nice equipment, an indoor track, a nature trail(open to the public), and a pool. But I find the hours to be a bit restrictive, and sometimes changeable due to community events. Also, there tend to be more people around at any given time, which is sometimes inconvenient if you're serious about your workout.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I go to my local YMCA, and I love it.
    It's got a nice sized fitness center, with weight machines, but then a HUGE weight room downstairs, and in the early morning, it's usually just me and 3-4 other people in there. It's gigantic, has everything I could ever want, and I don't think half the members even realize it's there. It's got raquetball and basketball courts, a pool, tons of free group classes, and a sauna and steam room in the locker room. $52 a month. I will never leave my Y!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I love my club. It's about 150 a month but worth it. The big benefits for me - tons of equipment, regularly getting new equipment, a lot of space for workouts and never overcrowded, amazing personal training staff, friendly and welcoming environment, towel service, stocked toiletries, private over night lockers, laundry service, member appreciation events, 24 hr housekeeping.

I'm weights and cardio and I like that I never have to wait for anything. The club has multiple racks, sets of weights, barbells, platforms and a lot of cardio equipment, plus a bunch of other stuff. Going to the gym shouldn't be a hassle and my club makes it very easy.