So sad. Need help. Any kind of help

Options

Replies

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you. I'm sorry for your loss and your hardship. Its good that you're still trying to stay healthy. I think maybe speaking to someone may be helpful.

Please, I recommend continue seeing your doctor, to help get back to healthy eating and maybe someone to talk to.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ckrumins wrote: »
    There are many issues that could be contributing to this. I would personally see a counsellor as it sounds like you're eating emotionally. Also, it's not normal to have brain fog this much which is also a symptom of depression (I have been there for many years and I had this myself). I would suggest seeing your GP again and a mental health professional. Salt should not help with mental clarity either, too much salt is very bad for your health and can contribute to hypertension. Working out an appropriate meal plan with a dietician and going for short walks every day can help a lot for your mental state and weight loss. Please consider seeing any of these professionals. I am currently studying for my degree in nutrition. Also, low iron intake or anaemia can possibly cause the lethargy and brain fog you are describing. If you get to your GP and describe your symptoms they should be able to help.

Look, I've been suffering from extreme salt hunger on and off since earliest childhood! As a five year old I'd be ina driving parents to desperation mood all day, wait for my parents to go to bed, then sneak down into the kitchen, climb on the lower kitchen cabinets to reach the candy supply in the upper one. To grab a handful of pretzel sticks and chew the salt grains off, and put the pretzels back. And ignore all the other candy that would otherwise be irresistible. Or visit the stables of an uncle just to get to the horses' salt blocks (don't ask). How many small children do that?

Besides, I finally found peace with all the *kitten* from last year. When I did need a professional back then I could not get one as I was not suicidal.

Yes, I know iron and vitamins can cause brain fog, as does thyroid. Everything tested so far has been normal (I do ask for printouts). Well, what's consistently been low is albumin (finally need investigation), and all electrolytes apart from sodium. All vitamins and iron are fine. They would not be if I didn't take care of them though. Yes, I also randomly pee out a lot of fluids and electrolytes every few weeks, which mostly results in cramps, pins and needles, a very low blood pressure, feeling extremely thirsty, and sometimes shortness of breath. But this never happens together with the weakness, brainfog and munchies. I'm trying to get tests for aldosterone, renin and a few other things that control fluid levels, but no success yet.
  • yirara
    Options
    Aegelis wrote: »
    mywayroche wrote: »
    I worry that you're turning to the masses for a second opinion. Please be careful and get plenty of exercise

There are many benefits to posting anonymously, especially to a forum of people with similar interests. We are humans here and many of us are trying to help.

Exactly :smile: And there's no family left with which to talk about this. Plus, while maybe a bit unusual, it's a weight problem. And hey, some other perspectives are great. I got some good ideas here, with trying to make it a habit of having a bouillon each morning for example. I have a little box of salt on my desk at work, but it's difficult to remember when your brains are absent. If it tastes disgusting I figure that I'm fine. If it's the most delicious thing in the world then I'm too late already. :D
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Nothing really to add except hope you get it sorted and maybe just try tweaking meals/macros/micros to see if anything helps in the meantime.
  • yirara
    Options
    Nothing really to add except hope you get it sorted and maybe just try tweaking meals/macros/micros to see if anything helps in the meantime.

Yea, that's what I'm trying now. More carbs does help. I get worse if I eat too much protein and fats, but that's always been the case.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I suggest you ask your doctor about trying a short (3-4 week) course of Ritalin; extend it longer if it helps. Decades ago I was situationally depressed and couldn't shake it. Doc prescribed an SSRI (I can't remember which one), which did help, but after a few months it helped less. At a follow-up my kind and sensitive doc asked, "Are you enjoying anything?" I reflected, and teared up as I realized the answer was no, not really. He added a small dose of Ritalin to the SSRI, and the result was wonderful. Helped me with a lot of issues you describe, in addition to the sad feelings -- brain fog, low energy, inability to focus, excessive appetite. I was able to concentrate better at work, I had the energy to work out a bit, and I cut down on the emotional snacking and therefore lost a bit of weight. Ritalin wasn't a miracle, but it helped to turn the tide for me toward a much more positive direction. Well, I guess that is kind of a miracle, isn't it? And it happened pretty quickly.

My best to you. I'm sorry you're in a bad patch now. I'm certain you'll get to a better place; I hope that happens soon.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How about not keeping any snacks around so you’re not tempted.

Journal in the morning about how you are feeling, what you can feel good about, and what your plan of action is for when you feel bad. Keep checking in with yourself so you can notice if you are about to have those feelings.
  • yirara
    Options
    How about not keeping any snacks around so you’re not tempted.

Journal in the morning about how you are feeling, what you can feel good about, and what your plan of action is for when you feel bad. Keep checking in with yourself so you can notice if you are about to have those feelings.

I banned all the snacks ages ago. I then eat more bread, warm up something I still have in the freezer or eat anything else within reach.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of keeping lists and reminders in places that are visible, especially when you're trying to replace long-term/ineffective coping mechanisms with newer ones. (Because it's easy to go straight to the behavior you're trying to replace in the moment when you need a coping mechanism, and hard to remember that you're supposed to be trying something different). Perhaps putting a pretty (and positive) note on your refrigerator or cabinets that reminds you to go for a salty food would help you remember?

I also like outlining processes for the same reason, because I can follow a list even if I'm not in a place where I can come up with a good plan of action on my own. Something like:

1. Drink a cup of broth or vegetable juice with extra salt
    2. Wait 10-15 minutes
    3. Reassess hunger
    4. If I'm still hungry after that, try [insert whatever next-try options you think might work]
  • yirara
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of keeping lists and reminders in places that are visible, especially when you're trying to replace long-term/ineffective coping mechanisms with newer ones. (Because it's easy to go straight to the behavior you're trying to replace in the moment when you need a coping mechanism, and hard to remember that you're supposed to be trying something different). Perhaps putting a pretty (and positive) note on your refrigerator or cabinets that reminds you to go for a salty food would help you remember?

I also like outlining processes for the same reason, because I can follow a list even if I'm not in a place where I can come up with a good plan of action on my own. Something like:

2. Wait 10-15 minutes
    3. Reassess hunger
    4. If I'm still hungry after that, try [insert whatever next-try options you think might work]

I now put broth into my work bag. Fortunately my tea was just empty, and I hardly ever forget to bring tea. :) The reassessment part is problematic though as I just don't think when I start to feel miserable. It comes out of nowhere, and I might need 60-90 minutes to realize I just need to take a bit of salt to feel better (mind you, I never considered salt in the past. But all the healthy office food around here is so low in salt that I can eat whatever I like. It doesn't help). By then I've already eaten all food that I packed.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Yea, that's what I'm trying now. More carbs does help. I get worse if I eat too much protein and fats, but that's always been the case.

That's so odd because most people seem to post the opposite; carbs don't keep them satiated and they need more protein and healthy fats to keep them from eating more and more.

I'm still a few credits short of my medical degree (wink-wink) so have zero clue about your symptoms or underlying causes but I think you are doing the right thing working through them with your doctor. And if they can't give you answers, ask them to refer you to someone who can. Don't take "I don't know" as an answer. Its your health, if you don't fight for it no one else will!
  • yirara
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »

That's so odd because most people seem to post the opposite; carbs don't keep them satiated and they need more protein and healthy fats to keep them from eating more and more.

I'm still a few credits short of my medical degree (wink-wink) so have zero clue about your symptoms or underlying causes but I think you are doing the right thing working through them with your doctor. And if they can't give you answers, ask them to refer you to someone who can. Don't take "I don't know" as an answer. Its your health, if you don't fight for it no one else will!

Yep, certainly doing that. Thanks mate :) I'm trying to get a referral to an endo to start with, which isn't quite so easy in the UK. But at least this GP listens and tries a few things. All previous ones (I move a lot internationally) always just said: you're not hypoglycaemic, so no idea *shrugs* but then this problem only popped up every few months.

Anyway, despite all I do enjoy life, have fun when I feel fine, have lots to look forward to this year.. so no, I'm not depressed. Just sad that things aren't working as they should.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

2. Wait 10-15 minutes
    3. Reassess hunger

I now put broth into my work bag. Fortunately my tea was just empty, and I hardly ever forget to bring tea. :) The reassessment part is problematic though as I just don't think when I start to feel miserable. It comes out of nowhere, and I might need 60-90 minutes to realize I just need to take a bit of salt to feel better (mind you, I never considered salt in the past. But all the healthy office food around here is so low in salt that I can eat whatever I like. It doesn't help). By then I've already eaten all food that I packed.

Gotcha. For some reason, I wasn't thinking about "at the office" solutions.

It sounds like your workday is going to present two challenges: making sure you have enough available foods that work for you, and figuring out a way to trigger yourself to try them sooner rather than later. Does that sound right? So, we're looking for snacks that are salty and carby (without being too calorie-dense). Would things like pretzels, popcorn or pickles work? What about taking a proactive approach and consuming something small every 1-2 hours?

I like the idea of broth, but I'd worry that it's really low-carb. (Although if you're using it before you start to feel awful, that might be okay). You could also try Gatorade or something like that.

If I were in your shoes, my first priority would be to get myself stabilized (both weight and mood-wise), THEN worry about strategies to lose weight.
  • yirara
    Options
    Ok, plan for now: make sure I have a bouillon first thing in the morning instead of a cup of tea. Though I just realised that they aren't really high sodium in the UK either. Meh. But that's ok. I can put in more salt. Actually, drinking something like this first thing sounds utterly delicious!

Back to GP: anyway. But first a business trip to Brazil that I'm currently preparing. With currently no proper public transport from work to GP it would take too long. I'll make an appointment in three weeks (provided I survive driving in Brazil on a weekend fun trip :p )

Food at work: difficult. I might take more apples along. Fairly low calorie (kind of), and they give me something to chew on if I get the munchies. I thought about carrots, but for some reason they always rot away after 3 days. I'll have a look in the veggy aisle once I'm back. Maybe there's something else.

Just worked out and it went fairly well actually. Did this workout 3x (32 minutes) https://litealloy.com/workouts/516 without jumping, and cleaned a 10kg kettlebell in the first exercise.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sometimes bingeing can be a sign that you've been undernourishing yourself for a while. You may want to try upping your baseline calorie intake.

Something that might help with remembering to eat salt is to prelog your food. If you decide at the beginning of the day or the day before what you're going to eat, even setting a timer or reminder if necessary, that takes the burden of trying to remember throughout the day.

Also, ((hugs)). You've been through a lot. Try not to be too hard on yourself, ok?
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hugs and more hugs
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ckrumins wrote: »
    There are many issues that could be contributing to this. I would personally see a counsellor as it sounds like you're eating emotionally. Also, it's not normal to have brain fog this much which is also a symptom of depression (I have been there for many years and I had this myself). I would suggest seeing your GP again and a mental health professional. Salt should not help with mental clarity either, too much salt is very bad for your health and can contribute to hypertension. Working out an appropriate meal plan with a dietician and going for short walks every day can help a lot for your mental state and weight loss. Please consider seeing any of these professionals. I am currently studying for my degree in nutrition. Also, low iron intake or anaemia can possibly cause the lethargy and brain fog you are describing. If you get to your GP and describe your symptoms they should be able to help.

Look, I've been suffering from extreme salt hunger on and off since earliest childhood! As a five year old I'd be ina driving parents to desperation mood all day, wait for my parents to go to bed, then sneak down into the kitchen, climb on the lower kitchen cabinets to reach the candy supply in the upper one. To grab a handful of pretzel sticks and chew the salt grains off, and put the pretzels back. And ignore all the other candy that would otherwise be irresistible. Or visit the stables of an uncle just to get to the horses' salt blocks (don't ask). How many small children do that?

Besides, I finally found peace with all the *kitten* from last year. When I did need a professional back then I could not get one as I was not suicidal.

Yes, I know iron and vitamins can cause brain fog, as does thyroid. Everything tested so far has been normal (I do ask for printouts). Well, what's consistently been low is albumin (finally need investigation), and all electrolytes apart from sodium. All vitamins and iron are fine. They would not be if I didn't take care of them though. Yes, I also randomly pee out a lot of fluids and electrolytes every few weeks, which mostly results in cramps, pins and needles, a very low blood pressure, feeling extremely thirsty, and sometimes shortness of breath. But this never happens together with the weakness, brainfog and munchies. I'm trying to get tests for aldosterone, renin and a few other things that control fluid levels, but no success yet.

Almost 20 years ago, I had some weird neurological symptoms, including brain fog, and it turned out the building I worked in had toxic mold. Anything new or strange in your home or work environment? New carpet? Paint? Water damage?

If you're better while in Brazil and then get sick again a little while after you get back, there is likely something wrong in your environment.

sending-virtual-hug-loading-hug-sent-canhascheezeurger-com-23134409.png
  • FormerlyWallyAmadeus
    FormerlyWallyAmadeus Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    May I suggest: Don't keep what you find makes you feel bad about your choices in the house. If I have to get dressed, get my purse, drive to a store and buy it...it diminishes the chances that I will buy it. If you are craving salt, buy some whole popcorn kernels, a cheap popcorn maker, and make yourself a big bowl of popcorn with low sodium salt. Or, if you are craving crunch, buy the best apples you can, and reach for those.

I'd also add:

In recent years, my brother killed himself, my mother declined rapidly into dementia, our son was hospitalized multiple times and my husband lost his job. All the while I just tried to plow through it on my own. And, I realized that while I could get up day to day and function, I wasn't living.

I found a therapist who focused on life transitions and got a prescription for a low dose antidepressant from my primary care physician. My problems didn't vanish, but I was able to feel less as if I was drowning in them.

Take care.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just re read this -

Everything tested so far has been normal (I do ask for printouts). Well, what's consistently been low is albumin (finally need investigation), and all electrolytes apart from sodium. All vitamins and iron are fine. They would not be if I didn't take care of them though.

I miss-read it last time and thought your electrolytes were fine. If your electrolytes are consistently low, your high salt intake could be dehydrating you.

Try taking Nunns Tablets or something like Emergen-C (or Boots etc equivalent) for a few days and see if it makes the difference.

As an aside, could your need/want/satiation with carbs be at all connected to their water retention properties and your body trying to reach the appropriate hydration level?

Hoping the NHS gets to work on solving this mystery soon.

Cheers, h.