Weight Loss Plateau - Need Help!

Hi everyone! I'm a 40-year-old woman and I'm stuck. Almost 2 years ago, my weight and health were suffering. I was heavier than I'd ever been and terrified to step on the scale. I had really high blood pressure and had scary bouts of GERD. Bending over to tie my shoes was a workout in and of itself. I felt terrible physically and emotionally. In June of 2016, I weighed in at 219 lbs and I am only 5'2". I finally decided enough was enough. Using My Fitness Pal, I started tracking everything I ate. In 2 months, I'd lost 20 lbs. At the 3-month mark, I was in a car accident that damaged my neck and spine. I started seeing a chiropractor and continued with a strict diet. By December of 2016, I was down to 175.

In January of 2017, I asked if my chiropractor thought it would be okay for me to try yoga. He gave me an enthusiastic yes and said everyone should do yoga! I found an online yoga video series and fell in love with exercise for the very first time in my life (I still follow this practice - Yoga with Adriene. She has tons of free videos on YouTube and I've joined her site where I pay a subscription fee also). This led to me wanting to try additional exercises. I began with another YouTube series that offered strength training and cardio videos - I tried many different kinds of exercises. I stuck with tracking my food intake. By summer of 2017, I was down to 157 lbs, my lowest weight in probably 10 years.

Since then, I've gained and lost the same 4-5 lbs. In early February of this year (2018), I joined a gym. I go to hour-long classes at least 4-5 times a week. I have consistently done 2 cardio classes, 2 strength-training classes, and either a yoga, Pilates or another cardio class. I've seen my body changing but that scale won't budge.

I still want to lose another 30 pounds. I am not sure at this point if I can. I definitely still have fat to lose. When I try not to focus on a number but rather how I feel and what I see in the mirror, I think 30 pounds might not be necessary. But my doctor, my life insurance exam, and every single weight calculator says I should weigh between 104 - 128 lbs. I'm not even thinking about 104 lbs - I haven't weighed that little since I was 20! But when I got married, I was consistently around the 125-128 lb mark and that was my normal adult weight until I had children. That's the first time I started struggling with my weight.

I have completely overhauled my diet. Got rid of the butter and cream sauces, ditched fatty meals for lean protein, veggies, fruits and grains. Almost never have bread or rolls when we used to have them with almost every meal. If I do, it's whole wheat. If I eat pasta, I eat quinoa pasta. Instead of rice, I have quino, farro or barley. Instead of fatty burgers, we have turkey burgers or veggie burgers. Quit the daily sweets like cupcakes, fruit pies, and candy - switched instead to Halo Top ice cream for a nightly treat. Recently, I've cut that out too, along with diet soda, hoping maybe the sugar substitutes are somehow sabotaging me. I gained a pound this week.

I do have cheat meals - I still love pizza and eat it at least once a week. At certain times of the year, I eat things that aren't good for me (like more sweets during the holidays or sneaking my son's Easter or Halloween candy). I think I got into a habit of grazing during the day and fall prey to the endless parade of goodies in my new office (I started here before Christmas).

But all in all, I think my overall approach to health and fitness is still sensible. Yet, that scale WILL NOT BUDGE. And it's been going on a year now. I'm wondering if I can ever get this weight off. My calorie goal (set by My Fitness Pal) is 1200 calories a day. I don't factor my workouts into my allotment of calories for the day - I try to stick to 1200 calories consumed and then add my workouts at the end of the day and let it subtract so that I'm not eating up all my hard work.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm starting to give up on the 30-lb goal. Even 15 might do it! I still see areas with fat that needs to go - belly (way less than it was but still excess there), back, upper arms/armpit area. Tank tops or sleeveless tops still make me uncomfortable. Help!

Thanks to all and sorry for the super long post.

Replies

• alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    I know a lot of people do not like Intermittent Fasting, but I was stuck at a plateau and gave it a try, I have lost 8 lbs in 7 weeks or so. I alternate between eating once a day and eating during a 6 hr window and I still stay within my calorie limit. It's working for me, only a few more lbs till goal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I stuck with tracking my food intake. By summer of 2017, I was down to 157 lbs, my lowest weight in probably 10 years.

Since then, I've gained and lost the same 4-5 lbs. In early February of this year (2018), I joined a gym. I go to hour-long classes at least 4-5 times a week. I have consistently done 2 cardio classes, 2 strength-training classes, and either a yoga, Pilates or another cardio class. I've seen my body changing but that scale won't budge.

I have completely overhauled my diet. Got rid of the butter and cream sauces, ditched fatty meals for lean protein, veggies, fruits and grains. Almost never have bread or rolls when we used to have them with almost every meal. If I do, it's whole wheat. If I eat pasta, I eat quinoa pasta. Instead of rice, I have quino, farro or barley. Instead of fatty burgers, we have turkey burgers or veggie burgers. Quit the daily sweets like cupcakes, fruit pies, and candy - switched instead to Halo Top ice cream for a nightly treat. Recently, I've cut that out too, along with diet soda, hoping maybe the sugar substitutes are somehow sabotaging me. I gained a pound this week.

I do have cheat meals - I still love pizza and eat it at least once a week. At certain times of the year, I eat things that aren't good for me (like more sweets during the holidays or sneaking my son's Easter or Halloween candy). I think I got into a habit of grazing during the day and fall prey to the endless parade of goodies in my new office (I started here before Christmas).

I try to stick to 1200 calories consumed and then add my workouts at the end of the day and let it subtract so that I'm not eating up all my hard work.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm starting to give up on the 30-lb goal. Even 15 might do it! I still see areas with fat that needs to go - belly (way less than it was but still excess there), back, upper arms/armpit area. Tank tops or sleeveless tops still make me uncomfortable. Help!

Thanks to all and sorry for the super long post.

The bolded bits are most likely your problem.

What you eat makes very little difference to weight loss (although it's good that you've improved your nutrition for health purposes).

Trying to stick to your calorie allowance is not the same as actually sticking to your calorie allowance.

Cheat meals can easily wipe out a deficit, especially if not logged accurately.

Are you using a food scale? being shorter and overweight rather than obese, you have to be very accurate because you have a much lower TDEE than those of us who are taller and heavier so you do not have the margin of error available to you that we do.

This^^

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • makahip
    makahip Posts: 3 Member
    After I posted this, I started searching more on the community boards for people with a similar issue. You are right that b/c of my height, I do have a lower TDEE (which I'm just learning about) and the response I saw that kept popping up was the use of a food scale. I have one but I don't love it and I honestly never use it. So a bit ago, I ordered a new one with an attached but removable bowl (it's a small thing but the biggest reason I don't use my food scale - it's a pain to clean the flat surface that doesn't detach.

What you responded with was very insightful. You are right that this isn't like horseshoes - I am probably eating a lot more calories than I think I am. And that a major "cheat day" could wipe out any deficit I've created during the week. Very helpful feedback and I thank you. When I started, I was VERY strict about measuring and never going over my allotment of calories for the day. As I've gotten to a happier place, I think I've loosened the rules too much. Going to reassess. Thank you!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    After I posted this, I started searching more on the community boards for people with a similar issue. You are right that b/c of my height, I do have a lower TDEE (which I'm just learning about) and the response I saw that kept popping up was the use of a food scale. I have one but I don't love it and I honestly never use it. So a bit ago, I ordered a new one with an attached but removable bowl (it's a small thing but the biggest reason I don't use my food scale - it's a pain to clean the flat surface that doesn't detach.

What you responded with was very insightful. You are right that this isn't like horseshoes - I am probably eating a lot more calories than I think I am. And that a major "cheat day" could wipe out any deficit I've created during the week. Very helpful feedback and I thank you. When I started, I was VERY strict about measuring and never going over my allotment of calories for the day. As I've gotten to a happier place, I think I've loosened the rules too much. Going to reassess. Thank you!

I set my plate on the flat surface, tare out the weight of the plate, and then add the food. I find a flat scale to be infinitely easier than one with a bowl. Are you aware of the TARE (or maybe ZERO) button?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    food scales can get you over the plateau. once you get closer to your goal it gets even harder and harder
  • makahip
    makahip Posts: 3 Member
    I do use the TARE/ZERO button with a plate or cover it with aluminum foil and zero out the weight of the foil. I will try out both but most importantly get in the habit of weighing my food.

Can I ask you all a stupid question? I have read a bit about the food data in MFP being unreliable - which isn't surprising since you get such a wide range of calories when you put in a food item that you get out and don't prepare yourself. Do you use the nutrition info on the food label as your "Bible"? So if that label says a serving size is 2 oz and that's, say, 100 calories, then that's what you enter? I will often scan the barcode whenever possible and use that - HOWEVER, if it's not a single-serve package, I think consistently weighing my food will help.

Thanks for all the advice. I just want to be at that maintenance stage already! There's a lot out there for people who are just starting and people who are ready to maintain but I'm in this weird middle place where I've lost 60 lbs and my health has improved a great deal - my blood pressure normalized and I was able to come off my blood pressure pills, my GERD has decreased, my energy level has increased, etc. But I know I'm still not in an optimal place.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited April 2018
    I do use the TARE/ZERO button with a plate or cover it with aluminum foil and zero out the weight of the foil. I will try out both but most importantly get in the habit of weighing my food.

Can I ask you all a stupid question? I have read a bit about the food data in MFP being unreliable - which isn't surprising since you get such a wide range of calories when you put in a food item that you get out and don't prepare yourself. Do you use the nutrition info on the food label as your "Bible"? So if that label says a serving size is 2 oz and that's, say, 100 calories, then that's what you enter? I will often scan the barcode whenever possible and use that - HOWEVER, if it's not a single-serve package, I think consistently weighing my food will help.

Thanks for all the advice. I just want to be at that maintenance stage already! There's a lot out there for people who are just starting and people who are ready to maintain but I'm in this weird middle place where I've lost 60 lbs and my health has improved a great deal - my blood pressure normalized and I was able to come off my blood pressure pills, my GERD has decreased, my energy level has increased, etc. But I know I'm still not in an optimal place.

I normally check the nutrition the first time I barcode scan an item, then it's in my recent food list so I don't check again. If it's something without a label I'll search for the USDA entry e.g. "USDA Banana" in the UK & Ireland there doesn't seem to be as much of an accuracy margin for single serves as in the US so I've never weighed pre-packaged single serves, but at the same time I have a huge margin of error because I am tall, heavy and very active.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited April 2018
    primalpam wrote: »
    Lots of thoughts here.
    1. Excessive exercise (5 days, 1 hour each) causes an increase in Cortisol production, which leads to fat storage. Nope it can lead to increased appetite which in turn can lead to fat storage if over-eating but not if you're eating in a deficit, more likely it's causing water retention from new types of workout/intensity
    2. 1,200 calories is way too low for your size, especially considering the amount of exercise you do. the total in MFP is a net total before exercise, because of OPs stats her maintenance without exercise is only going to be around 1650 calories, with over 20lbs to lose, a 450 calorie deficit will be fine
    3. The Pizza...if it's one slice, fine, if it's 3-4 then yes, that's a problem. why is 3-4 a problem if it's logged accurately and meets her calorie goal, either through re-shuffling meals for the day or banking calories during the week?
    4. Sounds like you eat a ton of carbs, which means you are burning glucose for Fuel. Cut the carbs, increase the fat and protein. Carbs don't make you fat, plenty of people have success on moderate - high carb diets, myself included, as long as OP is getting the RDA for her, for fat & protein there is no need to decrease her carb intake
    5. Focus more on strength training and Interval training for the cardio, not an hour of full on cardio.
    6. Stop grazing. Eat healthy nutritious and filling meals, keep healthy snacks on hand.

I'm 48, 5'2, 120ish pounds. I follow a Primal Diet and have been for about a year and a half.

I think you need to rethink your strategy.
    Hope this gives you some food for thought.
    Pam

OP there is no need to over-complicate what you're doing just start with the weighing, eat back a portion of your exercise calories and review in 4-6 weeks. Try and get the minimum amounts of protein/fat for your stats and tweak as necessary the remaining macro split to your tastes/satiety.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    The food scale will be your biggest ally. Once you get a handle on weighing/ tracking/logging the correct calories and consistently be at deficit weight loss will follow.

All the best.