Depression and Where to Start

Options
My stress and depression has returned and so has almost 20 lbs thanks to several 4000 or more calorie days per week, oversleeping, and missed exercise. I log them just to see the damage, then delete it because it makes me feel worse. I eat at maintenance, then at .5 lb deficit for a few days, and get an initial drop. Yay! Then the depression or anger comes back and the cycle repeats. Don't ask me how long, I'm suffering and don't care. All I know is my clothes aren't fitting right anymore, I'm angry and taking it out on everyone.

Aside from the acknowledged need for therapy, where do I start? Last time I was this low I went to WW and I have too much pride for that now. What do I do? Maintenance until I get things sorted out? I'm really hurting.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    Try and work out if something specific triggers the over-eating and come up with an alternative plan, something to distract you in a healthy way.

Maintenance for a short while at least does seem like a good idea.

Exercise is a great distraction and can help boost your mood, is there a type of workout or active hobby you enjoy, even something like gardening that gets you out of your own head and away from the kitchen.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,981 Member
    Options
    Resentments and expectations used to be big triggers for my depression.

I had to find better coping tools.

There are many websites and spirituality books that can help. Find a way out, it exists. Whatever problem you have there is a solution. I'd say keep seeking. Also, too many carbs can bring on huge blood sugar swings which can exacerbate anxiety and depression. A good whole foods plan and sufficient protein and fats is the best way to go for steady moods.

~Blessings~
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

~

Funny you mention this. This is the biggest trigger. I failed a test yesterday. Many people assumed I had it in the bag. So their disappointment, coupled with my own, really have me in a mood. I've been feeling loaded down with huge burdens for a while, plus dealing with my own shortcomings and others. Whenever I'm overwhelmed weight control is the first thing to go.
    I've been so focused on losing I never made a maintenance Plan B for the hard times.

Thanks so much.

• brandiyaya
    brandiyaya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you on any meds for your depression? There are some that increase weight gain and some that can actually help with weight loss.
    I agree with not deleting the depression meals. There's a place you can make a note next to your meal logging and this can help you identify some of the things that are causing you to over eat.
    Stay in touch with groups, even online. Reach out before you reach for a snack.
  • cmriverside
    Options

~

Funny you mention this. This is the biggest trigger. I failed a test yesterday. Many people assumed I had it in the bag. So their disappointment, coupled with my own, really have me in a mood. I've been feeling loaded down with huge burdens for a while, plus dealing with my own shortcomings and others. Whenever I'm overwhelmed weight control is the first thing to go.
    I've been so focused on losing I never made a maintenance Plan B for the hard times.

Thanks so much.

Okay, I've failed tests too.

It was usually because it was something that absolutely did not interest me...or that I hadn't prepared properly beforehand.

I had to learn to stay in my own skin. What others expect of me are their problems.

If the test is important, you'll take it again and pass most likely.

I also had to learn to say, "No." Too many burdens (especially ones that aren't really mine to take on) will make me crash.

I'm good at, "No." now. :) I haven't had depression in years, but it does take a few shifts in thinking.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Will PM you soon, C. <3
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression and anxiety for years and a lot of it is tied to my weight. I've found that regular exercise has really helped with my depression. If you can, try getting a personal trainer or signing up for some group exercise classes (Groupon usually has some good deals). I needed the accountability until I got into the habit of working out regularly.

Depression is no joke and it's so so hard. Go easy on yourself, talk to yourself like you would a friend. It's ok to feel what you're feeling. The good news is that you want to feel better and that's half the battle with depression. Just try making small and simple changes as you can and they will add up.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've flunked a test and had to repeat the class. Totally felt awful and resentful I had to spend the money to re-do everything, and angry at myself. I found walking about a half hour outside helped. I actually stomped angrily through a lot of those walks, and berated myself, until after about a week I figured I'd punished myself enough. I found a pal to walk with who pointed out some positives about me, and we talked about her life (which kept me from totally focusing on my failure). Yeah, I wanted to eat and sleep a lot more. Yeah, sometimes I dwelled on the things I was screwing up. Sometimes I backslid, eating too much and floundering in depression. Therapy helped me. There is a point where you decide that you've beat yourself up for the past and now it's time to figure out how to cope with the present and move onward. It's doable. Good luck!
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind and helpful advice.

I will stop deleting the high calorie days. I do need to face them. Outdoor walks, especially near water really seem to help. And good music.

I'm not taking medication, but the thought bothers me as to how it might affect my weight.

I had a talk about how bad I felt with a friend and she reassured me I wasn't alone in my struggles, just keep pushing on and try again. Plus, it's time for me to have the delegation talk with the family again.

Thanks again. <3
  • mybigfat
    mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    May I suggest talking to a doctor. Getting medical help was the best thing I have ever done for myself.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart. So many of us know how hard depression can be. EVERYTHING is overwhelming, you can't focus, mind feels fuzzy, limbs feel heavy, and some days you feel like you are treading water and the undertow is pulling you under. Please go talk to your doctor and tell them how you feel. Also tell of your concern about the weight gain. The sooner you get your depression under control, the sooner you will FEEL good, and can really focus on weight.
    My prayers are with you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind and helpful advice.

I will stop deleting the high calorie days. I do need to face them. Outdoor walks, especially near water really seem to help. And good music.

I'm not taking medication, but the thought bothers me as to how it might affect my weight.

I had a talk about how bad I felt with a friend and she reassured me I wasn't alone in my struggles, just keep pushing on and try again. Plus, it's time for me to have the delegation talk with the family again.

Thanks again. <3

I take Wellbutrin, an anti-depressant associated with weight loss rather than weight gain. I like it because it's just a little speedy.

I think regular exercise is actually even more helpful to me for depression. And extra exercise for periods of unusual stress.

sending-virtual-hug-loading-hug-sent-canhascheezeurger-com-23134409.png
  • cmriverside
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Will PM you soon, C. <3

Were you talkin' to me?

*checks inbox. Is disappoint*
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Will PM you soon, C. <3

Were you talkin' to me?

*checks inbox. Is disappoint*

Sorry... didn't mean to get your hopes up ;)
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Don’t be afraid of medication. If you had high blood pressure or diabetes, you’d take something for it. Crippling depression is the same. See your doctor. They can offer something that will help. And yes, exercise—-especially by water—-is great. Hugs.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    About the failed test. Can you go talk to your prof, explain your circumstances, and ask for a retake?
    Just a suggestion in case it was an end of course test where the whole course may have to be retaken and paid for.

Sorry, I have no constructive advice about depression.

Cheers, h.