I'm debating on keto

Options
Hey!

So like everyone else .... I'm amazed by people on keto. They loose so much. I'm trying to basically loose baby weight. Prior to baby I was a vegan and I don't plan on being vegan anymore. (If that helps sway your decision)
I originally was on a strict Cal's In Cal's out low fat healthy eating diet and I went from 210 to 193 in about a month and a half.. lets just say two. My friend lost like 25 on keto I the same about of time and she dosent even work out. (I do )

So my question is for long term and matinance, what is the best diet? Once I get my goal (120) I don't want to gain again. So I feel like keto isn't something I should do for life. Should I just stick to a low carb, low fat, no processed foods like I was ? Or should I do keto until I'm at my goal.

My issue with keto is keeping it up once I hit goal
Traveling with keto (I travel a lot and clean eating is eaiser imo)
I have a family history of heart problems and diabetes, so keto honestly scares me.
I feel like a crave more junk food on keto. On a clean diet I can have a sugar craving and just eat an apple or banana and feel like I've had my "sweet" keto I just can't.
I really like black beans lol (no beans on keto)

Thanks !

Replies

• xlinaxmx
    xlinaxmx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I mean this in the nicest way possible but sounds like you might lack the knowledge needed to make the decision.
    Do you know why your friend initially lost more? It wasn't because keto is magic.
    If you have a medical condition that warrants you to restrict your carbs, keto might be a good choice. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
    I would personally start to do your own research. Look at reliable sources ( not Fung and all the other quacks. Not magazines or blogs. Real research. Peer reviewed studies might be a good place to start)
    You'll find a lot of misinformation about keto and you'll find a lot of people who are very ignorant
    ( uneducated)about the subject. Don't believe everything you hear and read. Instead learn how to do your own research.

Exactlyyyyy I totally don't. I can tell you anything and everything you want to know about being a vegan but keto I have no idea. I talked to the dietician local to me but she wasn't very helpful nor my trainer ( which I think I may replace for a bunch of reasons). Like I just want something I can keep for life that is healthy and manageable.... That's not vegan lol. I've come to like chicken lol
  • xlinaxmx
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The best diet is the one you're going to stick to. If you don't think you can do keto long term, then it might not be for you. The additional weight your friend lost (and you lost a GOOD amount of weight in the first two months anyway!) is additional water weight due to the depletion of glycogen stores by cutting carbs.

I was thinking after reading more that it was just water weight too. And thank you!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Keto works very well for many people. But for many of those people, they don't really know why it works. They think it works because carbs and fat. But for those that lose weight on it, it's because they are creating a deficit in energy balance. That's the only thing that works. Keto is a method, but its results depend on the same energy balance deficit that any other weight loss program has.

But the truth about how it really works is often masked by all the "amazing" anecdotes. There is a ton of money to be made by masking the truth. The funny thing is - the ketogenic diet works just fine with a deficit, but that's not its selling point. Or perhaps better said, the deficit works just fine using the ketogenic method. It's the deficit that works. Always.

If you want to do keto, have at it. Nothing wrong with it. Do some research. Know what to expect. If you go that route, you'll still want to count calories. You can be in ketosis and still gain fat if you are eating too much. It's not magic. It's a method. If you can stick to it, go for it. If you can't, you should expect to put a bunch of water weight (not fat) back on when you stop -even if you continue to eat in a deficit. That's not a bad thing, just beware of it ahead of time.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    xlinaxmx wrote: »
    I mean this in the nicest way possible but sounds like you might lack the knowledge needed to make the decision.
    Do you know why your friend initially lost more? It wasn't because keto is magic.
    If you have a medical condition that warrants you to restrict your carbs, keto might be a good choice. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
    I would personally start to do your own research. Look at reliable sources ( not Fung and all the other quacks. Not magazines or blogs. Real research. Peer reviewed studies might be a good place to start)
    You'll find a lot of misinformation about keto and you'll find a lot of people who are very ignorant
    ( uneducated)about the subject. Don't believe everything you hear and read. Instead learn how to do your own research.

Exactlyyyyy I totally don't. I can tell you anything and everything you want to know about being a vegan but keto I have no idea. I talked to the dietician local to me but she wasn't very helpful nor my trainer ( which I think I may replace for a bunch of reasons). Like I just want something I can keep for life that is healthy and manageable.... That's not vegan lol. I've come to like chicken lol

Were you eating vegan to diet? And now you're looking for another diet to help you lose weight? That's not the point of veganism and trying to find a "diet" to lose weight is not likely to lead you to maintaining your loss.

As others have said, you need to find a way of eating that is sustainable for you.
  • xlinaxmx
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

Were you eating vegan to diet? And now you're looking for another diet to help you lose weight? That's not the point of veganism and trying to find a "diet" to lose weight is not likely to lead you to maintaining your loss.

As others have said, you need to find a way of eating that is sustainable for you.

No I was vegan as a life choice but I was way healthy as a result of it. I just no longer want to be vegan and I'm looking for a diet / way of eating that gives me that healthy weight that I can maintain.
  • MeMyselfAndI2018
    MeMyselfAndI2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just started the keto lifestyle 2 weeks ago, it was hard the first few days with headaches and cravings, but lots of water and tea helped me. I’m doing it as a lifestyle, but of course I’m losing weight, first 2 weeks 12 pounds gone, now I’m more use to it, no hunger, cravings, nothing, just eat when I’m hungry, the Low carbs food, no SUGAR, I’m off the sugar for good. I have no health problem, I’m doing this for me, for my life. I’m feeling happier, in control. Like everyone said, you have to find the diet that you can stick to it for life.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I just started the keto lifestyle 2 weeks ago, it was hard the first few days with headaches and cravings, but lots of water and tea helped me. I’m doing it as a lifestyle, but of course I’m losing weight, first 2 weeks 12 pounds gone, now I’m more use to it, no hunger, cravings, nothing, just eat when I’m hungry, the Low carbs food, no SUGAR, I’m off the sugar for good. I have no health problem, I’m doing this for me, for my life. I’m feeling happier, in control. Like everyone said, you have to find the diet that you can stick to it for life.

If this is the best plan for you I hope you are successful for years to come. One thing to note, though, you are still in the evaluation phase of your new plan. I have been on a few diets and the second week does get easier and I am usually feeling pretty good with a nice scale drop from water weight. This is about the point the true fat weight loss begins and it will be slower. The true test for the sustainability of your diet is most probably still ahead of you. My point is I would not be making declarations just yet. Give yourself time.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So I’m on keto and have found it to be a great choice for traveling because avoiding a food group and going for satieting foods is going to naturally restrict what you eat on the go. But to be clear—going on it requires a pretty tough initiation period and you really have to commit to it. I’m sure other diets would be just fine for you, especially if you love black beans! I don’t miss them, though. I feel like i have new taste buds now.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, your friend that lost so much weight didn't lose it because of any 'keto magic' (unless you consider water weight and a calorie deficit magic).
    I know someone who has lost over 50 lbs with keto, but I also know she eats extremely low calories and does intense workouts almost every day. She's losing weight super fast because she's under eating.

Don't compare yourself to your friend. There's lots of factors that could've gone into her losing more in the same time frame. (Any chance "like 25 lbs" was inflated to make herself sound better?) Faster isn't always better. Focus on you and your journey, and finding a way of eating that will be sustainable long term.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Vegan to keto may be a bit of a shock.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You have to find a way of eating that you can stick to for life, to lose weight and keep it off this is the only way. Anything you do temporarily will lead to temporary loss.

You can't compare anyone elses weight loss to your own, your friend might have needed to lose much more for one thing.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Don't overthink this. You don't need to be on a named plan to have a healthy manageable diet. It sounds like you have an idea of what's good for you in a general sense, most people do. Simply apply that knowledge. If you like chicken, eat it. It's lean protein. Add some of the vegetables, healthy fats, whole grains, tubers, legumes, and fruit you ate as a vegan. If you like, have some candy or cookies or ice cream every now and then because life is too short to not have dessert.

The most important thing for managing your weight is controlling your caloric intake, and MFP gives you the tools to calculate how many calories you need to eat to do that.

Find some exercise you like to do and do it.

There, you have a healthy eating plan you can sustain for life. Customized for you.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Are you currently tracking macros?

To lose the weight, you simply need a deficit - for me, I prefer higher fat/higher protein so I've adjusted my macros accordingly. My carbs aren't anywhere low enough to be keto, but adjusting my intake allows me to eat the way I prefer and the deficit allows for the fat loss. Like others said, it's best to find a diet you can stick to and comparing results to others and their methods can get exhausting and ultimately, isn't helpful.

Best of luck!