Rowing Exercise and Back Fat

Hi Everyone- I discovered that i LOVE rowing and Im really hoping that it helps get rid of my back fat.....we all know it.......the piece of fat that we PRAY our bra straps will hold in. Is there any rowers out there that can give me hope that it gets rid of it? I go for about 30 minutes, perfect form (asked a trainer to watch me) and I do it at a pretty strong pace (at least for me).

I have GOT to get rid of that and my love handles!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• mhildreth66
    mhildreth66 Posts: 24 Member
    Hi Everyone- I discovered that i LOVE rowing and Im really hoping that it helps get rid of my back fat.....we all know it.......the piece of fat that we PRAY our bra straps will hold in. Is there any rowers out there that can give me hope that it gets rid of it? I go for about 30 minutes, perfect form (asked a trainer to watch me) and I do it at a pretty strong pace (at least for me).

I have GOT to get rid of that and my love handles!!!!!!!!!
  • I have been wanting to do this because my back is REALLY weak and I have a slight curvature in my spine so my doctor says it will help. But I can't quite get a good rhythm! It should be good for burning some calories!!
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Hey, I just started using my exercise ball and sitting on it and holding my shoulders back - doing for 1 hour at a time per day and I have already seen results within 2 weeks. I am so happy because I have that back flab as well, this also could because I lift weights every 3-4 days for 15-30 mins doing my back . Good Luck!
  • skittlesoup
    skittlesoup Posts: 35 Member
    I HATE my back fat! Especially when I sweat there...somedays I think that I need to put anti-persperent there. :grumble:
    Does rowing work to get rid of it?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    whether it is back fat or front fat or side fat...it is impossible to target specific fat....you can work on the underlying muscle for definition but you lose fat over your entire body...fat does accumulate in certain areas (love handles, thighs for some, backs, etc) and that will be the last place it shows before it goes but cant target it
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    I have been wanting to do this because my back is REALLY weak and I have a slight curvature in my spine so my doctor says it will help. But I can't quite get a good rhythm! It should be good for burning some calories!!

Same here! I did it for 5 mins the other day and will build up longer next time, rhythm def an issue:blushing:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Rowing is great cardio - It can burn calories as quickly as running!

The one negative about rowing is that it can cause your back muscles to overwhelm your chest muscles, leading to a rounded, almost hunched look. You can prevent this effect by doing plenty of exercises for the front side of your body - e.g. pushups, bench presses and pec flies - and by being very conscious of your posture. As my mother would say, "Shoulders back!"
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    You can't target a place for fat loss, its not how it works. Your body burns fat where it has the highest amounts first - usually your belly, thighs, etc. However the rowing WILL build your back muscles tone them, which will make them more pronounced/toned as the fat burns from other things. To burn fat, use cardio. Sorry :(