Slow and steady but difficult mentally

Options
Happy Friday everyone. I'm getting a bit down on myself how long it's taking for me to lose the weight. I do see progress... not only in the way I look but how much easier it is to do certain things. The weight just flew off last time in like 5 months. I'm just having a hard time with that. I know I could restrict my diet like I did last time and lose the weight much quicker.... but I know I want this time to be different. I want to be able to balance my life. I want to be able to go to parties instead of staying away from them because they will trigger a binge. I want to be able to go through my life prepared with the tools I need to make impromptu food/drink decisions. It's just so much harder to do it this way mentally.

Anyone have any advice? Any encouragement on how the slow and steady route really is the best way for long term success?

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Girl, I'm right with you! I've gained back 18 of the 60 I'd lost. I'm trying to do it differently (more slowly) this time. I restricted quite heavily the first time and while I lost weight quickly, it wasn't a lasting solution. I completely understand the toll it can take and the frustration of not seeing/feeling the weight drop fast. Feel free to send a friend request. Good luck!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The thing about slow and steady is if you do it right you can go through big chunks of the day forgetting you are on a diet. This means having your hunger and cravings under control and not feeling like you are deprived. For me it also means staying away from the scale and focusing on how much better I feel instead. I don't want to get on that thing and it tell me I am up x lbs because of a water weight fluctuation. Does knowing why actually make it comforting when I wanted good news? Not to me. In the past I would have to spend time calmly and rationally settling myself which makes it that much harder for the diet to fade into the background of my day. I do weigh myself but I try and wait long enough for me to only get good news.

The bolded part... is that a "my experience has been" example, or is that the case for a majority of people?
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been at this forever... Ive lost between 80-95 lbs depending on the month/year/season of life. I listen to a lot of podcasts to keep me motivated and to remember that change takes time. That it is more important to focus on the process vs the outcome. Here are a few of my favs:
    The Model Health show- love this guy!
    The Primal Potential
    On Air With Ella

Great to listen to in the AM. Gets my mind in a good space!
  • cc3833
    cc3833 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea to listen to podcasts! I always say I am going to look for ones that I would want to listen to but never actually do it! Thanks for the recommendations! Definitely going to check them out!
  • knoxy550
    knoxy550 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am on slow and steady for a reason, you don't feel deprived of any foods and therefore don't get cravings. I was out for coffee this morning and the plainest thing to eat was a cherry scone which I had with 1 pat of butter. At lunchtime I had a kiwi with a lemon Greek style yogurt (56 cals) and a cup of tea. I have logged all this into my diary and now know I have x x amount of calories left to see me through the evening for dinner and snacks, I also try not to eat all my exercise calories every day, but some days are better than others. Just keep 'pegging' away, and you will see the results, also people will notice your weight loss, and to me that is very encouraging. All the best for your journey and remember this is a way of eating for life, just not a diet.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    cc3833 wrote: »
    That's a great idea to listen to podcasts! I always say I am going to look for ones that I would want to listen to but never actually do it! Thanks for the recommendations! Definitely going to check them out!

You might like the Half-Size Me podcast. It's a collection of interviews with people who lost or are losing substantial amounts of weight. She places a good emphasis on slow, maintainable weight loss and mental struggles that come with maintaining, regardless of how the interviewee chose to lose their weight (Weight Watchers, calorie tracking, carb restriction, etc.). Full disclosure, she is a 'coach' and runs a fee-based support community, but the Podcasts are free and there's not much buy-in to junk science or fads.
  • cc3833
    cc3833 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Half-Size Me podcast recommendation. And thank you for the NSV thread. I'll have to check it out. A friend of mine (got chubby in college but lost the 30 lbs and kept off majority of it for about 5ish years) and I decided to make mini goals for the year. She was bored with her fitness routine and wanted to spruce it up since she doesn't have any weight to lose but wants to work towards something, and I wanted to give myself something other than the scale to look forward to. So my 3 goals by June 21 are weigh in the 150's... even if it's 159.9... be able to do a split (used to be able to many moons ago so I know it's possible), and be able to do 5-8 actual pushups (not on my knees)... Well I crushed my pushup goal at my training session lasted night.. was able to do 2 sets of 10! I couldn't believe it! When I had started training 2 months ago I wanted to die doing 2 sets of 5 modified pushups! Shout out to my trainer for knowing I could do it! So the NSV thread will be just what I need to fill in a new goal #3!

I don't know that I could go as slow as 4 lbs a month! Koodos to you! Sounds like you really have this thing under control. Towards the end of my weight loss last time I was at about 5 lbs a month and I was totally good with that since I only had 15 lbs to goal. But right now I have 42 lbs left to lose. I am hoping to have those suckers gone by January 2019... which I believe to be a much more realistic goal then losing weight in 5 months.. sigh.. hard work lol! So all said and done if all goes according to plan (yeah right! hahahah!) It will take me about a year to lose 61 lbs. And when I do the math it comes out to 5 lbs a month roughly. I am averaging about 1 lb a week right now. (Started this January and bouncing between 17-20 lbs lost since then). But my body looks so much better! I am 5'0, 28 years old, female, started at 191.6 and as of today 173. My goal is 130. And I can say in Dec/Jan I HATED my body and what I let myself get to. As of this morning there are things I don't like and I want to work on but very few areas I hate right now.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    cc3833 wrote: »
    Thanks for the Half-Size Me podcast recommendation. And thank you for the NSV thread. I'll have to check it out. A friend of mine (got chubby in college but lost the 30 lbs and kept off majority of it for about 5ish years) and I decided to make mini goals for the year. She was bored with her fitness routine and wanted to spruce it up since she doesn't have any weight to lose but wants to work towards something, and I wanted to give myself something other than the scale to look forward to. So my 3 goals by June 21 are weigh in the 150's... even if it's 159.9... be able to do a split (used to be able to many moons ago so I know it's possible), and be able to do 5-8 actual pushups (not on my knees)... Well I crushed my pushup goal at my training session lasted night.. was able to do 2 sets of 10! I couldn't believe it! When I had started training 2 months ago I wanted to die doing 2 sets of 5 modified pushups! Shout out to my trainer for knowing I could do it! So the NSV thread will be just what I need to fill in a new goal #3!

I don't know that I could go as slow as 4 lbs a month! Koodos to you! Sounds like you really have this thing under control. Towards the end of my weight loss last time I was at about 5 lbs a month and I was totally good with that since I only had 15 lbs to goal. But right now I have 42 lbs left to lose. I am hoping to have those suckers gone by January 2019... which I believe to be a much more realistic goal then losing weight in 5 months.. sigh.. hard work lol! So all said and done if all goes according to plan (yeah right! hahahah!) It will take me about a year to lose 61 lbs. And when I do the math it comes out to 5 lbs a month roughly. I am averaging about 1 lb a week right now. (Started this January and bouncing between 17-20 lbs lost since then). But my body looks so much better! I am 5'0, 28 years old, female, started at 191.6 and as of today 173. My goal is 130. And I can say in Dec/Jan I HATED my body and what I let myself get to. As of this morning there are things I don't like and I want to work on but very few areas I hate right now.

I am super jealous of your push-up accomplishment! I've made it from wall to (correct form) knee, but that's it so far. I'll get there one day! I sort of ended up at this rate of loss on accident, but it's been very sustainable. I eat at maintenance once or twice a week, which definitely slows things down, but means I can still eat out and enjoy the occasional calorie bomb without it being a binge. My plan at this point is just to drift backwards into maintenance (my first goal is also 130) - I've been slowly lowering my calories over the last few months, but I think I'm about as low as I want to go. I feel pretty happy with my progress so if someone told me I wasn't allowed to lose any more weight I'd be okay with it so long as I was still allowed to lift weights.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @sarahbrown1015 - love podcasts and really appreciate the recommendations. You might like Half Size Me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    The bolded part... is that a "my experience has been" example, or is that the case for a majority of people?

For me and several people I know. I apologize for how it was worded. I am usually more careful than that to keep it clear because one of my pet peeves is when someone speaks for the majority. It was not my intent I was just in a hurry at the moment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The thing about slow and steady is if you do it right you can go through big chunks of the day forgetting you are on a diet. This means having your hunger and cravings under control and not feeling like you are deprived. For me it also means staying away from the scale and focusing on how much better I feel instead. I don't want to get on that thing and it tell me I am up x lbs because of a water weight fluctuation. Does knowing why actually make it comforting when I wanted good news? Not to me. In the past I would have to spend time calmly and rationally settling myself which makes it that much harder for the diet to fade into the background of my day. I do weigh myself but I try and wait long enough for me to only get good news.
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I didn't write that and in general don't like generalizations, but I think that should be generally true for the majority of people - if someone has a modest calorie deficit and eats satiating foods, they could certainly not feel hungry except right before meals.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001

I think the issue might have been that 'most' people would forget they are on a diet and forgetting was not the best way to express it either. I do my best to not dwell on being on a diet and if I am not hungry it is just easier to push it into the background.