Deadlifts

Options
13»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Feel free to add me. I'm a competitive powerlifter, competed at my 8th meet in February at the age of 59. My next meet is Regionals in August. All I have to do is get a total and I qualify for Raw Nationals

Squat 248
    Bench 115
    Deadlift 308.6

This was a sanctioned USAPL meet? And were those your numbers? If so, you're already qualified.

Yes it was a sanctioned local meet. The squat and deadlifts were my numbers. I got a 110.2 lb/50kg bench. I thought I had to do a regional meet to qualify? I would do at least 2 meets/year with USAPL since I have to pay a $55 membership fee :neutral:

Any sanctioned USAPL meet can qualify you, provided you meet minimum total (as quiksylver mentioned). Certain age groups (60+, I think?) just need a total - no minimum.

Regionals are like mini-nationals. They're a good idea to prepare you for what to expect at Nationals, as things are typically run tighter - and Regionals/Nationals have slightly different equipment policies than local/state meets. As in, locals largely just require your equipment to meet the specs, whereas Regionals require all (I think) of your equipment to actually be on the IPF-approved list. On another computer, I have a spreadsheet one of the meet directors sent me that shows the breakdown of how strictly the IPF-approved list is required for each type of meet (local, state, regional, national).

Since Regionals are literally 5 minutes from my house, I'll likely come down to root you on. I'll be competing at the CT State Championships on May 6, but not Regionals.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    I love deadlifts as well, but skipped them today on leg day. I have ripped the crap out of my shins doing them, I really need to buy some deadlift socks to protect them. End of last week I was doing them, and ripped my skin open again.

Never thought about this. Still low weight for me (170) but should I wear my running tights when deadlifting? Don't see many guys doing this. Probably do more damage to the tights than my legs though.

Thinking.

Regular full-shin socks (like dress socks) help. They're not fool-proof, but help. And they're fairly inexpensive, so even if you have to replace them 2-3x a year, it's likely not a big deal.

Additionally - and depending on the particular bar you use* - you might find that bringing your legs closer together (so that they're inside the knurling) might work.

* Assuming, of course, that your shins are being scraped by the knurling, and that you're using a standard bar. We have on bar at our gym where the knurling comes almost all the way to the center, so this would likely not work with this particular bar.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm a competitive powerlifter, competed at my 8th meet in February at the age of 59. My next meet is Regionals in August. All I have to do is get a total and I qualify for Raw Nationals

Squat 248
    Bench 115
    Deadlift 308.6

This was a sanctioned USAPL meet? And were those your numbers? If so, you're already qualified.

Yes it was a sanctioned local meet. The squat and deadlifts were my numbers. I got a 110.2 lb/50kg bench. I thought I had to do a regional meet to qualify? I would do at least 2 meets/year with USAPL since I have to pay a $55 membership fee :neutral:

Any sanctioned USAPL meet can qualify you, provided you meet minimum total (as quiksylver mentioned). Certain age groups (60+, I think?) just need a total - no minimum.

Regionals are like mini-nationals. They're a good idea to prepare you for what to expect at Nationals, as things are typically run tighter - and Regionals/Nationals have slightly different equipment policies than local/state meets. As in, locals largely just require your equipment to meet the specs, whereas Regionals require all (I think) of your equipment to actually be on the IPF-approved list. On another computer, I have a spreadsheet one of the meet directors sent me that shows the breakdown of how strictly the IPF-approved list is required for each type of meet (local, state, regional, national).

Since Regionals are literally 5 minutes from my house, I'll likely come down to root you on. I'll be competing at the CT State Championships on May 6, but not Regionals.

I believe you are correct.

Raw Nationals requires 60+ age group to have a total from a sanctioned meet.

Open Nationals requires all masters of 40+ to notch a total from a sanctioned meet.

Only a total is needed, not a specific total.
  • Xia21
    Xia21 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Add me
    It's a huge goal of mine to lift heavy as a lifestyle change instead of just going through the usual routine.
    I'd love to have someone to check in with and share the victories :)
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've competed 3 times in the last 15 months.

Squat 475
    Bench 300
    Dead 605
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I pulled 240x6 last night which puts my max around 290. I have pulled 290 last year but then couldn't train for 7 months out of the year. Making up for some lost time but I want 3 plates so badly.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I only started lifting to my maxes in the last year. I injured my shoulder and was in rehab for a couple months so currently working my way back to 170 bench.
    Squat 260
    Bench 170
    Dead 325
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Squat 248
    Bench 115
    Deadlift 308.6

Open Nationals requires all masters of 40+ to notch a total from a sanctioned meet.

Yes, I'll be an M3 lifter for 2019 Raw Nats so I just need a total :smile:
  • PowerliftingMom
    Options

Squat 248
    Bench 115
    Deadlift 308.6

Thank you. Yes, just needed a total to qualify. I'll probably always do Regionals if I'm doing Raw Nats. When I started with USAPL I made sure all of my gear was IPF approved so I didn't need to spend the extra $$ getting extra gear.

• PowerliftingMom
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I pulled 240x6 last night which puts my max around 290. I have pulled 290 last year but then couldn't train for 7 months out of the year. Making up for some lost time but I want 3 plates so badly.

It took me 20 months to get to 300 lbs. and after that deadlifting seemed to be even easier lol
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

It took me 20 months to get to 300 lbs. and after that deadlifting seemed to be even easier lol

Everyone is better than me. I already know this.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Umm... I only deadlifted 150 today, so not everyone. I have some sort of piriformis/sciatic thing going on, and it twinged a little even at 150, but I didn't want to just quit deadlifts.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Umm... I only deadlifted 150 today, so not everyone. I have some sort of piriformis/sciatic thing going on, and it twinged a little even at 150, but I didn't want to just quit deadlifts.

Ouchy. Did you get the lacrosse ball in there?
  • jibeirish
    jibeirish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i love to lift too :)

Deadlift 137
    Squat 121
    Bench Press 71

I have my first push pull competition in July, really need to work on my bench press for this as my upper strength is not great

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Squat 248
    Bench 115
    Deadlift 308.6

See you there. I'll be M2.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I just did my 30 something ish meet in March. I'm an M2 (over 50) lifter. I compete at 57kg (125lbs).

Lifts were:
    Squat 105kg (231lbs)
    Bench 55kg (121lbs)
    Deadlift 145kg (319lbs)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Squat 248
    Bench 115
    Deadlift 308.6

I'm a baby... M1 :D
  • PowerliftingMom
    Options

Squat 248
    Bench 115
    Deadlift 308.6

:smiley: