Question for experienced weight lifters

Options
Jasp03
Jasp03 Posts: 54 Member
Little background first: I've only been weight training for the past almost 3 months, before that I can't say that I've ever did any weight training. Over the past 3 months I've made some significant improvements and have exceeded each goal I've set. I am running into something I'm unsure about, so looking for someone that may have an answer. I know that this is me doing something wrong, I just don't know what that something is.

Let's say for example I'm doing bicep curls with 60lb dumbells. I always try to lift heavy but for 8 reps. If I can do 10 reps on my first set easily, then I up the weight. The issue I have is I can do the first 8 reps just fine, but I have a hard time hitting 8 reps again. Each set I end up losing 2-3 reps. By set 4, I'm done. When I say that I lose reps, I don't mean that it burns, because I can fight through that. What I mean is that my arms just don't want to move up at all.

Bicep curls is just an example, it really happens with everything.

Am I trying to lift more weight than I should? Am I just not resting enough in between sets (usually 90 seconds)?

Replies

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    try to increase your rest to 3 min
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    If you've only been lifting for three months, there's really no reason you should be doing curls anyway. Get yourself on an established beginner program (maybe @sardelsa would be kind enough to post the link, I'm on my phone and can't find it) and go from there.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    What program are you doing? I would also highly recommend you follow a program. Here is the link to a list.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Also how long are you resting between sets? If you are still resting and can't complete your sets as prescribed (unless it is supposed to be a drop set or something) then the weight might be too heavy.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It is very normal for your strength to increase very rapidly in the beginning and then for it to go slower and slower. If you can't do 8 reps on your second set you can try increasing your rest a bit to see if that helps or you can reduce the weight a bit. It might even be a mental block since you can lift it so easily for the first set. Also consider having more rest between workouts or eating more + more carbs.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What program are you doing? I would also highly recommend you follow a program. Here is the link to a list.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Also how long are you resting between sets? If you are still resting and can't complete your sets as prescribed (unless it is supposed to be a drop set or something) then the weight might be too heavy.

Thank you for posting!
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Its not weird for you to not be able to hit all your reps in your sets on the 2nd or 3rd set. Just keep at it and only move up weight when you are able to hit all the sets properly.

Make sure your form is correct and that you are not just dropping the weights down when lowering them but actually slowly lowering the weights with your biceps instead. That added resistance will make all the difference.