2»

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I also vote for bringing your own food. I like the idea of eating it somewhere and then coming back and joining the colleagues, avoiding any comments about it. Or I could see bringing my own food and if someone comments, just say "I'm on a special diet." And leave it at that. They don't have to know why. I had a colleague who was celiac and couldn't eat anything that was ever served at those things.

I really like the idea of bringing some fruit and playing the celiac card. One of my daughter's friends is a 9 yo celiac with Type 1 diabetes. She has to bring her own food almost everywhere, except at my house, since I'm always sure to plan for her. Very few of her friends' moms are as brave as I am, lol. Just be sure to do some research on celiac, so if someone else wants to talk about it, you can answer a couple of questions intelligently.

I guess so, but do you want to have to be a pretend celiac all the time? Or will you just use it as an excuse when the need arises? Because people will notice if you're an "on-again, off-again" celiac. If you lie about having a disorder but then don't really know what you're talking about, you just make other people with that disorder look bad. People start to doubt real celiacs when normal people "play the celiac card" but can't "pull it off" correctly. And, if you get called on it, maybe by a real celiac or someone who knows one, you end up looking like the liar you are. I would just say I was on a special diet for health reasons and leave it at that. It's none of their business to inquire further, and if they do, "it's kind of personal" is a good enough answer. And then you don't have to keep up a charade. :)

I completely agree. Why create a lie about what you eat? People can be uncomfortable around vegans, but I'm not going to create some false food issues just to make it easier. I think that's absurd. People who are actually celiacs can obviously have severe reactions if they eat the wrong foods, and as jenilla1 said, pretending to be one can make them look bad and make others doubt whether someone is actually celiac, which could have serious consequences. While I won't have food reactions if I eat something with animal products in it, it can be very frustrating and make vegans look bad when there are people who say they are vegan (when often they mean plant-based anyway) and then eat some cheese because they're going to "cheat" or whatever. Just be up front.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Just pack a lunch and eat food you like.
    I don't think you need to lie and claim an allergy or something. If someone asks just say you didn't like the food before so decided to just bring something.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I've been to sessions where I actually left the venue to eat and return afterwards. Of course that makes it difficult if networking over lunch is the intention, but there has to be exceptions to every rule, and respect for differences of any sort. Just do what is best for you.