Low carb diets

Options
Hi you all. I’m a believer in low carb diets... I lost 20 lb in a month, but it’s been many years since I’ve done it. I’d like to give it another shot. I also have a family history of diabetes and at times I experience blood sugar instability, but I haven’t been diagnosised. I was thinking this diet may help reduce my future risk? It’d be greatly appreciated if you all have any tips for me. My goal is 30-50g per day. Thanks! And feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Check out the low carb group, lots of information in there and people who have been successful with low carb diets.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Low carb works for me wonderfully. I do so well with it. I eat between 30-50 gms of carbs a day when I’m on track. I eat vegetables and berries for my carb intake and with the high fats such as olive oil, cheese, butter, and avocados it helps carbs my appetite. I really enjoy it. I snack on almonds dark chocolate. Greek yogurt too.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What is your current intake of carbs? You may want to shoot for under 100g for a week or two, then under 75g after that, and then whatever you want after that. Just a thought.
  • kentuckykay96
    kentuckykay96 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Honestly I haven't been doing a good job at tracking lately, so I’m not sure. I think it would be a good choice to avoid a sudden drop in carbs because when my blood sugar bottoms all I want to do is eat to make myself feel better. Thanks for the advice!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Low carb is technically any carbohydrate range under 150g per day. You don't have to go Atkins induction or Keto to be low carb and have the same benefits.
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do low carb and stay around 50 carbs a day. I would like some low carb friends . Please add me.
  • rhammi
    rhammi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A friend told me that the low card works, but the fart/weight you lose will come back with vengeance if you stop. Any thoughts on this?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The fat (I assume that's what you mean) ;-) only comes back if you eat too many calories. Usually you also drop water weight eating low carb and that will come back, but that's only like 5-10 lbs and meaningless.

The reason people say that is many people think they can use low carb to avoid having to track calories in any way (which does work for some people), and if you do that and then start eating carbs again, without having found an alternative way to keep calories in check, of course you will tend to eat like you did when gaining and, well, gain. But there are ways around this, including working on tracking when low carbing and using low carbing to help create the deficit/make it easier, and of course tracking when you first begin adding back carbs.

Lots of people who enjoy low carb find it a way they'd like to eat when not dieting too.
  • Katslimsdown
    Katslimsdown Posts: 12 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I was going to make my own post about low carb as well, lots of info here, thank you!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    rhammi wrote: »
    A friend told me that the low card works, but the fat/weight you lose will come back with vengeance if you stop. Any thoughts on this?

Low carb weight loss works just like any other weight loss - by calorie deficit.

It's true when you eliminate a fair number of carbs from your diet, you tend to also lose water weight the first week or two. This water weight loss it temporary, maybe that's what your friend is referring to.

The fat you lose from a calorie deficit will only come back if you eat too many calories.....no matter the diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It appears that low carb can help reduce insulin resistance - blood glucose tends not to rise much when very few carbs are being eaten. I eat low carb for that very reason.

My advice is to increase sodium so you avoid the "low carb/keto flu". Most low carbers find 3000-5000 + mg of sodium a day works. (There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt.)

The group linked above is great too. Joining would be my second bit of advice. :) Good luck.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This exactly. I aim for around 100 g total carbs a day. I'm diabetic and this level is sustainable for me because it is yummy (I LOVE carbs) and helps keep my blood sugar regulated. Gaelticstorm

Honestly I think that is wonderful for you , but I am on meds and a lantus shot at night (22units) and IF i eat over 15 or 20 carbs a day I wake up with higher blood sugars , I don't know why , but one sandwich with bread and my sugar is up , i wake up to 105 to 125 if I stay below 20 carbs a day . if i go higher it's 135 to 166 . so yes if you just are losing weight you could have more carbs , BUT if you are like me ....ughhhh I can't eat them .
    and I chart every thing that goes in my mouth !!

but to start off , yes most people start at 50 carbs a day , then if they want to lose faster will lower carbs . Good Luck !!!
  • batlover1
    batlover1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Check out the low carb group, lots of information in there and people who have been successful with low carb diets.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I tried to get into that group but you have to be preapproved. I emailed the admin from that group to ask her how to get approved directly and heard nothing back.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    batlover1 wrote: »

I tried to get into that group but you have to be preapproved. I emailed the admin from that group to ask her how to get approved directly and heard nothing back.

I think there is a join group button, and that goes to the group's admin. It's usually within a day that they check it.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    rhammi wrote: »
    A friend told me that the low card works, but the fart/weight you lose will come back with vengeance if you stop. Any thoughts on this?

I think this depends on the situation. When you switch to "low-carb" diets, especially if you've previously been eating foods very high in calories but low in volume, you will likely find you can eat a lot more volume for less calories than you previously were. When people think of not eating carbs they think of giving up bread, potatoes, chips, pasta, etc. So they're giving up processed carbs, which are calorie dense with little nutrition.

So why am I rambling? Well, if you cut out these low volume, high calorie foods you'll likely find you can consume a lot more of the low-calorie, high volume foods (think leafy greens, crunchy vegetables, etc). You have to remember: people don't eat calories, they eat volume.

So if you stop (or rather start) back to a normal/higher volume of PROCESSED carbs (think bread, pasta, etc) then the volume you're used to eating with a low carb diet will contain a shockingly high number of calories, much higher than you're used to. What this will mean is, ultimately, you consume more calories and that could be a huge reason why people say you can't stop once you start low-carb because you'll gain weight rapidly back. If you stick within your calorie limit, there's no reason you can't keep off the weight but the volume of food consumed will be drastically lower.
  • ArleneSchrader1
    ArleneSchrader1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a recently diagnosed diabetic along with some other diseases too. I saw a nutritionist and went on a low carb diet 30 per meal and 15 for 2 snacks, I can't use any of the sugar substitutes, I eat almost anything I want as long as it is within my daily carb count. I have lost 28 pounds as of today. I am almost never hungry unless I treat myself (I had ice cream cake to celebrate my son's and my birthday its on the same day) all my numbers have dropped considerably, my cholesterol is almost normal and I have familial high cholesterol which is super hard to control. A1C dropped 2 points, Tryglicerides are about normal again something new for me. And liver enzymes dropped considerably too and I have non-alcohol-related liver problems. I exercise every other day, almost, somedays I get the bla's. But you need to remember what works for me may not work for you. It seems that being that we are all different our diet and exercise needs are different too.
  • stacybaker707
    stacybaker707 Posts: 126 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have started keto less than a month ago and am down 20 pounds. I am hardly ever hungry.
    I stay under 30 per day.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think there is a join group button, and that goes to the group's admin. It's usually within a day that they check it.

I sent a member invite.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I sent a member invite.

You're awesome. :)