Atkins

Options
Hi

Today I have started the Atkins diet. I know you can’t have more than 20g of carbs. Has anyone tried it and do you know how many fats and proteins your meant to have. I want to set my goals on this app but not sure how much I can put for the fat and proteins

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can eat however you like and lose weight, as long as you have a calorie deficit. You might not end up eating "Atkins" style. But you might end up losing weight.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Isnt Atkins kind of like Keto?
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude but why do people on Atkins/keto use myfitnesspal? Doesn't it go against the basic focus of this app which is to count calories? I'm genuinely interested so no offence
  • atmasters
    atmasters Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MFP is very helpful for anyone on KETO or Low carb, Like explained above cal need to be tracked and you can track your macros very easy with MFP as well as exercise. the app is not just for calorie tracking alone. I started low carb on an Atkins way of life, I find Keto pretty much the same but you are following Macros more than carbs the basic for Keto or Atkins is 75% fat, 20% protein,5% carbs It always usually works out to be around 20 to 25 grams of carbs per day. I like Keto because I focus more on my health fats and its proven very very beneficial :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You can use a macro calculator to figure out the rest of your macros:
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
    https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

20 g of carbs is about 80 kcal. That's probably no more than 5% of your total calories. Protein should be moderate, probably between 20-30% of your total calories. Fat is the rest.
    Kst76 wrote: »
    Isnt Atkins kind of like Keto?

Phase 1/induction of Atkins is ketogenic.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i do a low carb diet , but i also keep my calories under 2200 i love tracking my food on MVP , this site is awesome , and you can set it to carb first then fiber , because if you say login a salad it's maybe 8 carbs but 4 fiber , so that is only 4 net carbs . I have set my carbs to 30 but i never eat more then 20 , i set my fiber and sugar low , and fats higher , because good fats like real butter or coconut oil or avocado have a lot of fat but low carbs .

MY sister lost 175 pounds on Atkins 18 years ago , she keeps it maintained and has not put back on the weight !!!!
    and she has told me for years to do it , and i wouldn't because I wanted sweets or bread ..... I am doing it now !! no sweets no bread , no rice , no potatoes !!

you can do it!!! Good Luck
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Can’t imagine doing keto without MFP. How on earth would I be able to track macros? If not MFP, I’d use a different calorie counter app.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Hi

Today I have started the Atkins diet. I know you can’t have more than 20g of carbs. Has anyone tried it and do you know how many fats and proteins your meant to have. I want to set my goals on this app but not sure how much I can put for the fat and proteins

If I were doing the Atkins program, I might be inclined to use atkins.com which has a pretty decent food diary and set up. All carbs show in net carbs. Proteins and fats are a range to stay within on their program and tracker. It gives you the range.

There are also a couple of options other than 20 net carbs though that is the "induction" phase. You could start at 40 for example. Use of the Atkins calorie counter is free. Check it out.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Four years ago... started out with Atkins and keto is my lifestyle. New habits take time to build, it doesn't happen overnight.. and diets don't work primarily as folks go back to their prior way of eating. I weighed 217lbs when I started and that may not have been my heaviest! Now I'm 115lb and holding at that since mid last year. I eat single source foods as much as possible - meat, veg, nuts, seeds, fish, berries, cheese (limited). Bottomline is that any way of eating that has you at a calorie deficit will affect weight-loss, the bigger question is 'is that way of eating sustainable for a lifetime?'