Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does milk/ dairy cause acne?

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
Not looking for an answer, but more so a general consensus of what people think? I personally cut or dairy years ago to help with acne. Hard to tell whether it helps or not as I am sometimes clear and sometimes flare up. What’s your opinion?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    According to some studies, yes, for some people. I seem to recall the study was done on teenagers. And for unknown reasons low fat dairy seems to be worse. There are theories about the hormones used in cattle, or maybe sensitivities in some people, but no one really knows.

For me personally dairy does not cause breakouts, and getting at least 15 minutes of hard cardio every day makes a huge difference to how clear my skin is. You could try adding dairy back and see what you think. This is different to different individuals.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    "Survey says ....."

Or rather, science review says:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2836431/

Your comment is exactly why it's not going to be really useful getting comments from others.
    You have at least mentioned the testing aspect of it - you still get flare ups - unknown if it's helping or not.

Other people may not be so ...... bright, and will associate any changes (sadly many at once even) for the reason for the positive effect, though it could have nothing to do with it, or they forget the random nature of it, ect.

At least the above discusses from a biological perspective what may or may not be useful to help or harm.

And then back to YMMV - another reason why personal experiences may or may not have any useful info to them.

ETA - from the Vit A & D benefits - that sounds like dairy could be more of a useful thing - unless it bothers you personally - in which case not so useful. Their commented study sounds like full of problems and indeterminate results.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Maybe.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    honestly no clue i want to find this out for myself but i really cant, The only people i can find spewing the admittedly logical sounding stuff about the hormones in dairy and eggs and stuff are all vegans with an agenda. I cant find another angle to look at it from. Skewed data is skewed. Iv recently begun eating more dairy in the form of greek yogurt in my nicecream, i was never much of a dairy eater, But then i also hit up all i can eat chinese buffet so i cant go off what my skins doing lol. Following thread.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me I find it is more hormonal (PCOS related, pregnancy, post-pregnancy etc). I eat a lot of dairy everyday, my skin has never looked better. I am also over 2 years postpartum so for me that is probably why.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not looking for an answer, but more so a general consensus of what people think? I personally cut or dairy years ago to help with acne. Hard to tell whether it helps or not as I am sometimes clear and sometimes flare up. What’s your opinion?

It doesn't for me
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My experience with it is that youth causes it and ageth ends it.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its the dairy or whey or what, but I think there is something in dairy products that seems to make certain people break out. I don't think it is known for sure. I know personally my skin is completely clear without any dairy products but the minute I have some, I start to break out. My skin gets really bad when I am eating dairy. It really sucks because I love dairy products lol. Could be hormones, certain compounds, slight intolerances, a whole combination of things that cause it for certain people.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For some people it might. Doesn't for me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person.

In my 10 year old- yes. In my 13 year old - no. Some of my friends - yes.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have never associated my acne with dairy or any food.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Apparently, dairy increases mtorc in the body due to various studies, which can increase sebum production. Maybe I’ll test it out. Start with maybe some goats milk/ cheese or a whey isolate or something. I’ve noticed when restaurants have made a mistake and used dairy though in my meals I get a really heavy/ sick feeling which would never happen before. Probably the lack of enzymes but idk
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that it was the hormones in the milk that cause acne and that switching to organic might help. I honestly don’t know. I have acne and what helped was to just stop messing with it.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Acne is very hormonal for me. The only things that have helped me are being on low dose birth control pills and Accutane. I tried eliminating dairy in the past at the recommendation of my dermatologist. It didnt help. I am a big dairy lover. With age, my acne has gotten better. I still eat dairy and my skin is better now than when I eliminated it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    dairy has had no relation to my acne
    ymmv
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    never had an issue with acne. I have eaten dairy products all my life . the only pimples I seem to get is one right around my TOM. and its just one. my daughter on the other hand had moderate acne and she is not one that eats dairy(once in a blue moon). and she has acne issues. sometimes its worse than others. she does have a thyroid issue so maybe that has something to do with it. my sisters and I never had acne issues except for TOM. my one sister as she has gotten older gets cystic acne from time to time.but even my mom and dad has no issues with acne and my dad ate a lot of dairy products.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Tons of people swear by DIM for Acne (3,3′-Diindolylmethane). It's a supplement that's supposed to block things in the environment that your body mistakes as hormones, especially estrogen (xenoestrogens). A lot of people with hormonal acne swear by DIM. My son's girlfriend went dairy free (she has really bad hormonal acne). Just going dairy free didn't help her a lot.

It's also supposed to be good for guys as well (because guys don't want estrogen like substances from the environment either as it undercuts their lifting progress).

Because someone will inevitably put a "woo" under this, here's the scientific articles on Xenoestrogens, they are a real thing.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/xenoestrogen
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Whey concentrate , if I have it a couple days in a row, triggers acne for me. But I eat nonfat Greek yogurt everyday with no problem. Also my whey is allegedly from no hormone cows (Whole Foods 365 brand). I don’t know if my skin reacts to isolate the same.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Whey concentrate , if I have it a couple days in a row, triggers acne for me. But I eat nonfat Greek yogurt everyday with no problem. Also my whey is allegedly from no hormone cows (Whole Foods 365 brand). I don’t know if my skin reacts to isolate the same.

I would say if the whey protein has something else in it which most do(some have artificial sweeteners and others have additives) its probably that causing it. if yogurt doesnt cause it at all