Powerlifting and competing

Options
I'm thinking about training for a powerlifting meet coming up in April.

There are no minimums, and I seriously doubt I will post anything great in terms of numbers. Few questions for other lifters...

- how long should you train for your first meet? Is 6 weeks a decent amount of time, or way too short? (I've been lifting for a few years, off and on. Was doing stronglifts last year but got hurt in baseball AND fell at work, so I'm just finally getting back into it heavier)
- what did you like best about competing?
- would you do it again?
- I know I won't be posting any records, but I am thinking competing will give me that extra nudge to push harder (I usually need a goal to keep me driving), will people think I'm foolish for going in and lifting "too light"

My numbers aren't too hot yet (165lb squat, 235lb dead, 100lb bench), but I think I can make decent gains in all three still. I'm in the 41yr old female, 75-85kg weight category.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to just do it! There isn’t anything I don’t like about competing. Okay, maybe weighins. More specifically, waiting to weighin.

The best part is getting to hang out with friends and make new friends. Plus the adrenaline rush can’t be beat. The only one who cares about your numbers is you, and the best thing about your first meet is that you now have platform numbers to work to beat.

Thank you! :smiley:
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Just sign up. I don't care if meet is tomorrow.

Absolutely nobody cares how much you lift at a meet. I broke a state record my first meet, but it means nothing to me or anybody.

Meets do serve a purpose of strength goals.

First meet advice:

1. Don't worry about your body weight for your first meet. Train to be the strong and have a sucessful meet.
    2. Learn your federation rules.
    3. Pick a opener that you can triple on your worse day at the gym.
    4. Kick butt & enjoy.

Thank you @Chieflrg!

I won't worry about the body weight because I'm never going to get below 75kg and will be very upset if I let myself get about 85. I'm smack in the middle, I'm tall and already quite lean, so I don't have much wiggle room.

I have a powerlifting class / coaching sessions that I'm attending, so theyre helping me with the rules (otherwise I think I'd be lost)

I think my struggle is with 3. Knowing what to pick as a start and not being too proud and starting too aggressively. I've always been the kind to want to win and I know that's not likely in this arena. I want to learn and grow and be better, so it's a bit of a paradigm shift for me.

I hope I come away from it feeling like I kicked butt (my own) and had fun!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Just sign up. I don't care if meet is tomorrow.

Absolutely nobody cares how much you lift at a meet. I broke a state record my first meet, but it means nothing to me or anybody.

Meets do serve a purpose of strength goals.

First meet advice:

1. Don't worry about your body weight for your first meet. Train to be the strong and have a sucessful meet.
    2. Learn your federation rules.
    3. Pick a opener that you can triple on your worse day at the gym.
    4. Kick butt & enjoy.

Thank you @Chieflrg!

I won't worry about the body weight because I'm never going to get below 75kg and will be very upset if I let myself get about 85. I'm smack in the middle, I'm tall and already quite lean, so I don't have much wiggle room.

I have a powerlifting class / coaching sessions that I'm attending, so theyre helping me with the rules (otherwise I think I'd be lost)

I think my struggle is with 3. Knowing what to pick as a start and not being too proud and starting too aggressively. I've always been the kind to want to win and I know that's not likely in this arena. I want to learn and grow and be better, so it's a bit of a paradigm shift for me.

I hope I come away from it feeling like I kicked butt (my own) and had fun!

Don't worry about trying a triple to a 2-3 weeks before the meet. That is when the data is most relative to how strong you are. By doing something that you can triple (92% of 1rm is near range), it will move easier and you can make depth fairly easily or not lift butt off bench, etc...that would give you red lights.

Don't stress, you'll do fine. Enjoy yourself and take it as a learning experience.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my meet prep training cycle is 8 weeks. Don't try and go for record breakers your first meet, just go to get the exposure and experience , Set yourself up with lifts you'll know you'll make so you have a positive experience and set your base numbers. And then you build from there.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    In my 4th meet, I did 195/140/270 at 140lbs (38 years old). I'm not huge and don't put up huge numbers, but I still have fun...and everyone is super supportive.

If it is you 1st meet, just focus on hitting reasonable goals and having a good experience.

I use Wendlers template for comp training. I think it is 8 weeks.
  • _averagepowerlifter_
    Options
    I did it! I registered for my first meet (Apr 21st)!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice!

Do you mind me asking what federation you chose?
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!! I just did my 3rd meet yesterday and it was a long day, but fun to watch so many strong people lift!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I did it! I registered for my first meet (Apr 21st)!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice!

Do you mind me asking what federation you chose?

Sorry I missed this...

I am in Canada, and it's just a local meet (Westman). I think there are 43 participants and only two in my category, so it's super chill.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Well, I did it! The competition was yesterday and I loved it! Scored PRs in both squats (192lbs) and deadlifts (237lbs) and made my current PR in bench (105lbs).

I ALMOST hit 110, but was so excited about making a new bench PR that I forgot to wait for the press command and got a "no lift". :(

I can definitely say... I am totally hooked and can't wait til the next one!
    Congratulations for attending your first meet and pulling off three PRs. Your squat increased a good bit.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Well, I did it! The competition was yesterday and I loved it! Scored PRs in both squats (192lbs) and deadlifts (237lbs) and made my current PR in bench (105lbs).

I ALMOST hit 110, but was so excited about making a new bench PR that I forgot to wait for the press command and got a "no lift". :(

Congratulations for attending your first meet and pulling off three PRs. Your squat increased a good bit.

Thank you! What's awesome is that I probably could have gone even higher in my deadlift, so I expect that one to be blasted soon!

I also lifted without a belt, and I'm thinking of getting one, so I've heard that will drive the numbers up even higher. I can't wait to see what the future has in store! :smiley:
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    My advice would be to just do it! There isn’t anything I don’t like about competing. Okay, maybe weighins. More specifically, waiting to weighin.

The best part is getting to hang out with friends and make new friends. Plus the adrenaline rush can’t be beat. The only one who cares about your numbers is you, and the best thing about your first meet is that you now have platform numbers to work to beat.

All of your statements here were BANG on. The hardest part was the waiting, but the energy was incredible, and it was so damn inspiring to see so many people power through to new PRs.

It didn't matter what the weight is... Seeing that celebration after pushing through a tough lift and getting those white lights... It literally brought tears to my eyes for these people.

And then... Seeing people pull off 600lbs+ in Deads or 400lbs+ in bench and make it look easy... WOW.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

Thank you! What's awesome is that I probably could have gone even higher in my deadlift, so I expect that one to be blasted soon!

I also lifted without a belt, and I'm thinking of getting one, so I've heard that will drive the numbers up even higher. I can't wait to see what the future has in store! :smiley:

That's great! Weight belts certainly help and it's something I'd eventually need since I have a few herniated discs.

I've considered powerlifting but never did a meet due to an increasing list of injuries every year. Once I get a torn labrum and meniscus in my shoulder and knee fixed I'll just do it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    - how long should you train for your first meet? Is 6 weeks a decent amount of time, or way too short? 6 weeks would be short for me. I like 9 at the minimum
    - what did you like best about competing? The high. The goal to work toward
    - would you do it again? Yeah...not for awhile though. I did two two years ago, one last year. I was injured between the last two.
    - I know I won't be posting any records, but I am thinking competing will give me that extra nudge to push harder (I usually need a goal to keep me driving), will people think I'm foolish for going in and lifting "too light? No. Everyone powerlifts now.

One reason I personally don't want to do it again is I recognize I'm not an amazing athlete and I will never be elite. It is definitely a welcoming sport and anyone can compete for themselves. I did that. It was fun. I'm going to leave the sport to the true athletes for a bit.
  • LJay89
    LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is cool. Would love to compete!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

tenor.gif?itemid=7549364
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Congrats. You did awesome!