Macros, Keto, and Other inquiries

Hey everyone!! I have a few inquires to make. So, I started the Ketogenic diet on wednesday. I started my Macros out a 5% carbs, 75% fat, and 20% protein. It has caused me to become constipated, so I am wondering if I shouldn’t change it to 10, 80, 10 . I dont know how to handle the constipation, so any advice on that would help out too, along with advice on the macros

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Make the changes that will help you.
    Consider these if you want: cucumbers, tomatoes, squashes, avocado, okra, and olives.
  • riverschristian93
    riverschristian93 Posts: 5 Member
    Maybe you should ask other questions first - "do I have to eat keto", "what are the benefits of keto", "can I stick to keto for the long haul", "how much detail is necessary, how much is fun&helpful, how much is too much".

I started because I went to my physical on Wednesday, and my doctor recommended it to me because I was beginning to get overweight.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Maybe you should ask other questions first - "do I have to eat keto", "what are the benefits of keto", "can I stick to keto for the long haul", "how much detail is necessary, how much is fun&helpful, how much is too much".

I started because I went to my physical on Wednesday, and my doctor recommended it to me because I was beginning to get overweight.
    Okay. To lose weight, you have to consistently eat less. That just means fewer calories than you burn. You have to less food than you have been eating while gaining weight. You should eat the amount of calories MFP gave you at setup. It does not mean keto, or slimming world, or weight watchers, or anything else in particular. Type of diet is up to you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member

He specially said 'keto' or that you just need to lose weight? He did not provide you with guidelines to follow, info on how to handle side effects and if you needed to follow this as a long term strategy for maintaining as in for an underlying medical condition? I would report back to my doctor for more info about this.

If he by chance just said you need to lose weight, using MFP to set up a calorie deficit then setup your own diet that is balanced in way that suits your daily activities/exercise (if you exercise) and support your weight loss.
  • riverschristian93
    riverschristian93 Posts: 5 Member
    He said both. That I needed to loose weight, but recommended the Keto diet.
  • alicegshearer
    alicegshearer Posts: 3 Member
    You can eat some vegetables, but they need to be low carb. Spinach, courgette and kale are your friends. Eating some fibre and drinking lots of water should help.
    There are so many good keto recipes. There are lots on Ruled Me as well as useful info about keto and there is a calculator to help you workout suitable macros specifically for you.
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes
  • Dragonfly771
    Dragonfly771 Posts: 5 Member
    I have been doing keto for several years. It works for me with the added benefit of making my eczema go away. If you are having a problem with constipation, get some psyllium husk and drink plenty of water. Best of luck to you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    He said both. That I needed to loose weight, but recommended the Keto diet.

Personally, I would recommend getting a referral to a dietitian. They actually have education in the field, unlike doctors. For your original question, I'd drop fat and keep protein high. There is no more important nutrient while losing weight than protein. Adding more fiber to your diet is a good idea and if you want to be keto, just aim for less than 50g net. You don't have to follow outdated percentages.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    0426Jamie wrote: »
    I am also doing keto! Have done it for about 3 1/2 months and have lost over 45 lbs, it really does work :) you will want to join the keto specific forums, they actually give helpful feedback to your issues! There is one mentioned above and one just called “keto”. Both of them have tons of advice and people willing to answer questions. There are several on this issue specifically. Good luck!!

Random people on the internet are not the place tho go when a doctor's advice leads to a medical complication -- in this case, constipation. OP should go back to the doctor (for the doctor 's benefit, as well as the OP's).
  • I feel dont knock keto until you try it. Its doable, and one can many times get keto recipes for favorite meals. On keto I feel fuller longer .
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Curious how you got onto MFP if your doctor advised Keto? Is it just to track your macros or do you track both calories and macros?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Keto is much easier to do WITH MFP. It’s not random consumption of bacon...it’s a thoughtful way to restrict calorie intake considering the satiety of food, so knowing your macros and calories matters. Ketogains.com has a great calculator and there is a Low Carb High Fat board here that is helpful.