Vibram fivefingers

Options
I bought a pair of vibram fivefingers in March to train and run my Half marathon in. I absolutely love them and they are the most comfortable shoe i have ever owned....i have alot of people tell me that i shouldn't run in them or they are a rip off . Im just wondering how many other people run in them and what they think about them...

Replies

• leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have them, and love them. Takes a while to build up the endurance to run in them as you need to retrain your body, but they're great. Stick with them!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of friends who use them to run and workout in. I am tempted to get some myself but they are sinfully ugly to me..
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i LOVE them! but i alternate them with traditional shoes on my runs over 7 miles

they are great for trail runs, especially!

i used to have knee pain but since using these, my knee pain has been eliminated!
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend wears them constantly and runs in them all the time... He absolutely LOVES them!! The only small complaint I have even heard him say is that on longer runs it hurts a bit because of no padding but he'll run 10+ miles without batting an eye...

Good luck to you@
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For me, they're a bad idea because I have high arches and thus have a higher risk for stress fractures if I don't have the full support. However, a friend of mine uses them, and he loves them. He runs about 8-10 miles per run, and he likes them a lot more than regular running shoes.
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I really want to get a pair!! I think they are super cute! plus I've heard they help with posture & mine is the worst!
  • scottppa
    scottppa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just started running again after nearly 30 years off and 2 knee arthroscopies. I wear Vibram KSO's and feel GREAT! I'm training for a 5K initially - I feel VERY comfortable running in them! I got a pair initially for the gym and for using my kettlebells outside, but running in them has been a lot less stressful on my knees than my old crosstrainers were. I do get some funny looks, though!
  • jenwrath
    jenwrath Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you read "Born To Run"? If not, it might answer some of your questions. The author of that book has since changed his opinion a little bit. He was formerly more of a proponent of 5-finger shoes but has since converted completely to barefoot running. There's interesting information out there about it. Some of it is pretty convincing. I haven't run long distances in my Vibrams. But I have noticed that when I do run in them, my knees hurt less than when I run in my running shoes. So, that makes me feel good about continuing to wear them.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My friend is a Marine and she said they all use them to run. If the Marines do it, they've gotta be good right?
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    it's not so much the looks of the "shoe" it's the fact that there is no padding that freaks me out! OUch! They look like they would hurt to run in!
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    I think it depends on your feet. If you are not getting pain from them, they are probably okay for you to use. I need a lot of cushion and arch support, so I can't wear them, but I have heard some good things about them from people who can wear them.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    There have been people having issues with them for half and full marathons because you're running on concrete. I'm going to see if I can find the article where a runner told some of the issues he had.

YAY! didn't think I would find it that quick.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/articles/2011/01/09/youre_crazy/

Even the Kenyans thought he was nuts ;)
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    My dr actually recommended I try transitioning into them after my first half marathon in October. She believes they'll help with some of my hip pain.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use them for jogging. It's all I've been wearing for working out since I started at the end of March. I'll be doing my first 5k in two weeks and first 10k at the end of Aug wearing them. :)

I am still trying to work out my technique since I believe landing on your heel is not the best with these on. I'm working on landing further up my foot.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have to say I just googled them and they are scaring me! I don't think I could ever where those...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my Vibrams!

Whether they're a good idea or not depends largely on medical conditions. For most people without foot conditions in which being barefoot is detrimental (high arches, fallen arches, etc), then it's not recommended, at least without consulting a doctor.

If you don't have a medical condition that prevents you from walking barefoot, then Vibrams are just fine! The key is to make sure your running/walking form is correct. If you walk like you're in padded tennis shoes, then you're going to be hurting really quickly. However, if you walk like you're supposed to (soft, mid-foot strike), then you should be fine. So many people run barefoot or in Vibrans like they do in other shoes (hard, heel strike) and then wonder why they're in pain.

It can also take a while to build the muscles and endurance, so you also can't slap on a pair of Vibrams after a lifetime of running in thick running shoes and expect to run the same distance at the same speed right away.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I use them for work out videos and at the gym. i feel super heavy footed on the treadmill when I use them, but they are amazing on all the other machines. I got them becasue I was having intense arch pain after 5 minutes of a video. That is completely gone now.
  • Jamiebaby05
    Jamiebaby05 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your imput.....i believe as long as i am enjoying them and they arent causing me any pain that i will stick with them.....I will let you all know how they perform durring my marathon on August 27th....
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I want them so badly! I have high arches though and worry they might not be good for me. Does anyone know it that matters?
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my Vibrams!

Whether they're a good idea or not depends largely on medical conditions. For most people without foot conditions in which being barefoot is detrimental (high arches, fallen arches, etc), then it's not recommended, at least without consulting a doctor.

If you don't have a medical condition that prevents you from walking barefoot, then Vibrams are just fine! The key is to make sure your running/walking form is correct. If you walk like you're in padded tennis shoes, then you're going to be hurting really quickly. However, if you walk like you're supposed to (soft, mid-foot strike), then you should be fine. So many people run barefoot or in Vibrans like they do in other shoes (hard, heel strike) and then wonder why they're in pain.

It can also take a while to build the muscles and endurance, so you also can't slap on a pair of Vibrams after a lifetime of running in thick running shoes and expect to run the same distance at the same speed right away.

haha this wasnt posted yet when I started my reply.. good to know though. Thanks :)